Greetings From The State Of Jefferson

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffersonStateBrewing

Reaction score
Hey all!

For those of you who wonder, what or where is the state of Jefferson, here is a little info. The unofficial 'State of Jefferson' is located in Southern Oregon and Norther California. There was a vote on the books to take place back in 1941 which would have split the two states and allowed Jefferson state to succeed from Oregon and California. There was even an election and a governor elected. However the Vote was to take place on December 7th 1941. For those of you not up to par on your american history, this was the day that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. As a result of the bombing, the efforts to create the State of Jefferson were abandoned and focus was turned directly to what would be the US officially entering World War II. The Movement to create Jefferson State has never fully gone away. [Removed political innuendos -Mod]

Enough History, my brain hurts.

I am getting back into home brew beer. I tried my hand at it about 6-7 years ago using the BIAB method with pretty okay results. real life got in the way of my little hobby and i sold most my equipment. Now i am going to give it a go again, all-grain this time. i am working on building a propane powered 3 vessel system using 15.5 gallon beer kegs or keggles. I have been gathering parts and materials for a little over a month now. I am designing (not the proper description) a brew stand that will be portable and compact i hope. I have never brewed all grain or for that matter ever seen it done. I know there is a learning curve, and i know i will end up with some bunk beer, but if i never try i never know what i will be able to achieve. With myself being a total n00b i will be asking a lot of questions and no doubt make a few mistakes along the way. there are no local home brew shops near here so i must resort to buying grains off the internet. I have recently come across NORTHERNBREWER.com and i have ordered 2 kits. One is a Czech Pilsner and one is a hard seltzer. When and IF the kits ever show up i will start the hard seltzer first as my brew stand will not be complete for several more weeks.

I am also building a new keezer to go with the all grain system. I purchased a 14.8CF kenmoore unit from my local big box supply house, it was on sale.

If i have forgotten anything y'all think i should be adding to my system to make it more complete, i am all ears!

IHaveSpentWayTooMuch$$Lately-JSB

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to HBT!
Thanks for your introduction, it's very informative.

Note: The historic parts are usually OK.
Please keep political commentary out of our public forums, it's not allowed. There are specific areas for that, accessible whenever you decide to become a Supporting Member. There are other benefits to becoming one, too.

I tried my hand at it about 6-7 years ago using the BIAB method with pretty okay results.
I have never brewed all grain or for that matter ever seen it done.
FYI, BIAB is all-grain brewing, using a single vessel for both the mash and boil! The mesh bag is the filter that separates the wort from the grist.
A (small) sparge (=rinse) can be incorporated by means of a dunk sparge in a large bucket or a spare kettle. Pour-overs really don't do much.

2 or 3 vessel brewing is just a different method, using dedicated vessels for hot water (in 3-vessel brewing), mashing & sparging, and boiling.

IHaveSpentWayTooMuch$$Lately-JSB
You don't need to spend all that much...

There are many ways to spend far less making the same or even better quality beer.
Most (home)brewing is process, process, process. The equipment doesn't make beer, you do!

Certain equipment is more useful for making better beer such as a) fermentation temp control, b) fermenters that can be semi-sealed to prevent air (oxygen) from ever entering during the whole process after pitching yeast, all the way through filled kegs.
Others are more for convenience.

i am working on building a propane powered 3 vessel system using 15.5 gallon beer kegs or keggles. I have been gathering parts and materials for a little over a month now. I am designing (not the proper description) a brew stand that will be portable and compact i hope.
That's for a relatively large volume, 10 gallon (2 keg) batches. Good once you know what you're doing and when you're a big beer drinker and/or entertain those who are often enough.
You could brew smaller, 5 gallon batches if you want more variety. Or split the wort for different beers and approaches.

I am also building a new keezer to go with the all grain system. I purchased a 14.8CF kenmoore unit from my local big box supply house, it was on sale.
There's a solid outlay once you add all the needed "accessories" that needs.
But IMO, the best way if you're serious about brewing, skipping the phase of routine bottling.

Lets try this again proper.

Thanks islandlizzard.

I have no plans ever to bottle ever again, ever ever ever. Kegs, kegs and more kegs. And eventually, as the prices for equipment continually fall, I might consider canning. but for the most part my brother, wife and a couple friends are all that will be drinking my brews.

I am planning on doing some 5 gallon batches to start, I do have some stainless stock pots for smaller batches, but if you are the type to plan and build your systems as is with no plan to ever upgrade or expand, IMO your setting yourself up for failure and/or lots more expenses later. Go big or don't bother is my opinion.

I am also planning (already bought some equipment) to pressure ferment. this wasn't really a popular thing when i was brewing last. But the idea intrigues me so i am gonna go for it, see how it turns out. As I mentioned, I have spent too much $$ already, but I want the equipment to get it done right and conveniently the first time, even if I am the one that screws my brews up.

Yeah, I know BIAB is all grain but i was trying to convey 3 vessel all grain vs BIAB or extract. I do know the difference but it came out wrong.

The keezer is in the works, i know how i want to do with the keezer, but i am not certain which way i am going to go about it.

I know it is only June (almost) but I am planning to do most of my brewing during winter months when I am mostly not working. Right now I am spending my overtime paychecks on stuff I wouldn't be able to buy come winter. Do it right the first time I think... I hope!

Cool! I think I may have read about that a while ago, but it's good to have a historical refresher.
Welcome!
Lots of good information here to help you *succeed*. And lots of grammar Nazis too. Jerks. 😉

The keezer is in the works, i know how i want to do with the keezer, but i am not certain which way i am going to go about it.
Use 5 (oops!) 4mm ID (8mm OD) EVA Barrier tubing for both beer and gas. And accompanying John Guest push-to-connect adapters/fittings. Similar Duotight fittings tend to crack on the MFL side, so I'd avoid those right now. You need to plan it that way, which means buying MFL flare connections wherever you can, Keg QDs, gas connections, manifold etc. No barbs!

There are a few recent threads on the use of EVA lines. Do a search.

Last edited:
Back