Any tips on pulling a dry hop bag out of a carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSWA

Reaction score
Ok, so I've only dry hopped my brews a couple of times. The first time I used the bag and it was a #@%@$ to get out of the carboy. The second time I just put the pellets straight in. Going to secondary the second time was pointless as I still had hop city in keg after kegging! I do my best to keep as much of the crud out of my kegs, but this last time was the last straw! The beer was awesome after I transferred it to another keg from the first one, but I just don't want to deal with the hassle anymore! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Yeah, I dry hopped in bags in a carboy a couple of times. Big PITA to get the bag out. Best to rack the beer out of the carboy first, so you don't mess up the beer trying to get the bag out. A long narrow bag makes it a little easier, but still a PITA.

Now I just dry hop in the primary bucket. I swore off carboys after seeing some of the horror story pics from broken carboys.

Brew on :mug:

I dry hopped for the first time in a carboy with my last batch and decided to not use a bag. Everything settled good after I cold crashed. I had made a hook with a coat hanger but never used it

I dry hop in secondary then rack to keg. Once beer is all out of carboy I turn the carboy upside down fish the end of bag and cut at the knot. Then I just wash the hops out and hops and bag fall out.

Since you keg, dryhop in the keg, I bag them throw them in the keg and rack on top, never had an issue but my IPAs don't hang around all that long.

:mug:

I dry hop all the time in a carboy. I use a bag. I rack off into bottling bucket and then turn carboy upside down and can pull out with some pliers. I use plastic carboys with wide mouths.

i agree with chefrex, dry hop in the keg and it will be fine until the beer is done.

I usually just toss hops in loose in the primary and rack directly to keg. It helps if you can cold crash your fermenter, I get very little hop material transferred to keg.

Great ideas all around! I like the idea of dry hoping in the keg!! Thanks guys!

Back