Any Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk7728

Reaction score
So I'm new to kegging and I've got two kegs in the fridge right now. The problem is they're both sour, grapefruit tasting. The first keg, after lots of reading and others input, I chalked it up as too cold fermenting with Us-05 yeast. The second keg, which I just racked to yesterday, now has the same taste. Yesterday, while racking, I had a test taste and it was good. Really good. So this is obviously something to do with the kegging. I clean and sterilize the **** out of everything with PBW and starsan, so I don't think it's that. I have a co2 tank that was last rated in 04, but I've read that co2 doesn't go bad, so I'm thinking that might not be it. Any thoughts? I've got another up and coming batch that I guarantee you will be put in bottles lol

Are you doing a slow force carb (12-14 days at serving pressure of 10-12psi) or a short-term high pressure burst carb? If the latter method (and sometimes the former), you may be getting some carbonic acid formation. If it's that, it should fade away in a week or two.

So I'm new to kegging and I've got two kegs in the fridge right now. The problem is they're both sour, grapefruit tasting. The first keg, after lots of reading and others input, I chalked it up as too cold fermenting with Us-05 yeast. The second keg, which I just racked to yesterday, now has the same taste. Yesterday, while racking, I had a test taste and it was good. Really good. So this is obviously something to do with the kegging. I clean and sterilize the **** out of everything with PBW and starsan, so I don't think it's that. I have a co2 tank that was last rated in 04, but I've read that co2 doesn't go bad, so I'm thinking that might not be it. Any thoughts? I've got another up and coming batch that I guarantee you will be put in bottles lol

Where did you get your kegs?

Back