Any problem with aerating in brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
With my system I decided to try aerating in the brew kettle today and it worked pretty well. I just cooled the wort to 80 degrees and popped in the stone. If I drain and aerate in the fermenter, the foam causes me to stop the pump every 4-5 minutes. In the brew kettle, with all the extra head space, I can go 30 minutes without issue and then just drain the wort into the bucket. Then I drain out right under the foam.

Is there any problem with doing it this way?

I know Im sticking my stone in all kinds of hop funk (did a double black IPA today) but with a bazooka tube on my kettle I can drain out right under the foam and funk. Just wondering, since I havent ever seen anyone do it this way.

are you using an aquarium pump? you may as well just fill the fermentor and shake for 3-5 min and you'll get the same O2 in the wort.

I use an air pump with a stone and go for no more than 5-10 minutes for an average gravity beer. I've only had it blow foam out once and that time I got busy on something and forgot it for about 15 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, I use an aquarium pump for 30 minutes and then when I drain the to fermentor I let is slowly drip out of the valve and fall into the bucket. it takes about 10 minutes to drip. I probably get more O2 in the wort from the draining than the pump.

this was a 1.090 double black IPA so I wanted to really get some O2 into it.

i would still expect shaking the fermentor to outperform an air pump. all of the research i have seen on aerating wort puts air pumps at the very bottom of efficiency. for a gravity that high i would definitely shake instead of pump.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm

Back