Any other moms or women who brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphmag025

Reaction score
So, I happened upon a thread about fatherhood and brewing and starting to wonder what about moms or women? Any other moms or women out there who would rather brew than walk around a mall on a Saturday afternoon? Different strokes for different folks, it is just something I was wondering since I don't happen upon a lot of other moms who enjoy brewing.

And to the Dads out there...for a while especially if you have two toddlers like my husband and I, your brews will be few and far between but it gets easier...especially with the right amount of planning, pre-set up and if you have grandparents close enough to watch the kiddos that is a HUGE help. It is a nice "date" day for us when it happens.

When my oldest(now 3.5) was about 5 months old we tried to brew with the baby at the house and the grandparents running interference and it was still hard. I just felt like I should still be doing stuff with the baby. Now with having two...the youngest is two there is just no good way to keep them out of stuff, not get hurt and enjoy the brewing process/experience. I suspect if we get to do two brews a year for a while I will take it. That is why I started doing ten gallon brew days. I figured I should make the very most of the time and money spent.

I just strapped my friends kid into a bouncy chair suspended from my overhead crane when I had him dumped in my lap unexpectedly on a brew day.

Of course, other people in my squadron were like "YOU LEFT YOUR KID WITH MASTER" to which he replied "Technically, I left him with Master's wife".

My kids are long grown up now, but my grandsons now like to "help" on brewday. The oldest actually does help- he weighs hops and additions of my water treatment salts. He now knows all about grams, taring a scale, etc, so it's been a good thing for him.

When my son was a preteen, we made rootbeer together and that was a lot of fun.

My husband doesn't brew or make wine but likes the products so I've been brewing alone mostly for the past 12 or so years.

Making the root beer together is a nice idea. I will have to keep that one in mind when my girls get a little older.

You'll be surprised at the number of females who brew and are HBT members. Not only women who may enjoy brewing with a spouse or significant other, but women in the lead role and the main decision maker in the brewing process. It is semi difficult to identify who is who by their HBT handle, but females are a very large percentage of the home brewing world. And we are seeing more and more female brewers professionally. The head brewer at Highlands in Asheville NC is a female and quite a brewing perfectionist.

My kids are all grown up now and no grandkids yet. I've been brewing for almost 3 years. My husband doesn't brew, just me. A couple guy friends (at church) brew and got me interested in trying it. It's fun to share my creations with them and get their feedback, and to try their beers as well. I also enjoy gardening and started growing my own hops a few years ago that have been used in making Yooper's Haus Pale Ale. I also grew my own corriander for a Blue Moon clone. It's a fun hobby.

My kid is also grown and married now. My husband loves that I brew but isn't interested in getting involved beyond thinking up beers he wants "us" to brew. I've had many hobbies in my life (mainly the "womanly" arts of sewing, needlecraft, knitting, with some auto repair & computer building thrown in) and this is the one that gives me the most satisfaction. I'd rather break down & clean kegs than go to the mall any day.

Thanks for sharing that article. She seems like a pretty inspiring/awesome and hard working person. Now, I really want to find her beer and try it out! Pretty cool!

Thanks for sharing that article. She seems like a pretty inspiring/awesome and hard working person. Now, I really want to find her beer and try it out! Pretty cool!

She's really awesome. She's aligned with my political leanings, as well as a Christian, so I personally like her very much as well.

She is a very likable person, as well as a person who lives by her convictions. She is an artist, and also takes some great photographs. Very nice person, and I'm so glad she made New Glarus what it is.

Too bad I can't get her beer in PA! Although there is a new place called Berts Bottle Shop so maybe they will have it some how. They have all kinds of beer we never get to see around here....good stuff to munch on too!

Too bad I can't get her beer in PA! Although there is a new place called Berts Bottle Shop so maybe they will have it some how. They have all kinds of beer we never get to see around here....good stuff to munch on too!

New Glarus only distributes in Wisconsin, so you won't see it in PA. You can try for a swap here on the forum- lots of us can easily get New Glarus and would be happy to trade for something we can't get here.

That would be fun to do a trade! This might be a stupid question but how does that work as far as getting it to a person, mail, ups etc.? One time I sold something on ebay and put it in an old beer case to ship it and the post office would not take it. I had to put tape over all the beer names on the box..

here, me... no Kids though and not planning on having any...

brought beer to a pick nick the other day and said: "It is real German because I made it"... Dude didn't understand so I said: "Homebrew". He tried it, liked it and - I kid you not - said: "Oh, that's pretty good, did your husband make this?"

:smack:

needless to say he will NEVER ever be offered one of my brews again...

Seems to be an generational thing though since none of my friends find it strange or extraordinary that I brew.

I've run into that too. If my husband and I are at a social thing and my homebrewing comes up, the guys always turn to him and ask about our beers. I've had women look at me like I'm an alien for doing something so "masculine". Bless my husband's tolerant heart, he always defers to me as the brewer in the family. He's a very intelligent person but he's just not interested in the process, just the end result. I do work for a brewery part time, but my own brews are always tested by him before I'll take them anywhere else, even to my master brewer boss, and I value my husband's opinion over all others. I tend to be overly critical of my beers and his "thumbs up" or "this is swill" matters more to me than anyone else's opinion.

Yes! HAHA!! I can't believe the dirt the little monkeys make on a daily basis!

Yes, I am the brewer in the house too. My husband tells everyone he "just does the heavy lifting" and sampling. I could brew myself and have but I really like doing projects with him. Especially ones that are not crucial day to day chore types of things.

brought beer to a pick nick the other day and said: "It is real German because I made it"... Dude didn't understand so I said: "Homebrew". He tried it, liked it and - I kid you not - said: "Oh, that's pretty good, did your husband make this?"

Seems to be an generational thing though since none of my friends find it strange or extraordinary that I brew.

I think you're right on the generational thing. Hipsters and DIY.

I think you're right on the generational thing. Hipsters and DIY.

I have been brewing since the early 80's. Just got back into it 2 years ago after a many year pause of only doing a kit here and there. I am brewmaster, bottle washer, keg washer.... friends sure like to drink it but getting them to help???

Currently building an outdoor kitchen/brewery in a 12x16 foot shed that is off my deck(same floor height)... hope to have ceiling and a wall done soon so I can move in and finish the other 3 walls this winter as I can afford the steel. Will be doing my garden produce canning out there also and get that heat out of the house! Plus the Traeger pellet smoker lives in there and a BBQ prep area sure will be nice without running in and out of the house.

No kids or plans for them here. I'm new to brewing and so far seem to be the only one in my family aside from one uncle who only does homemade wine. I've gotten some really interesting stories of failed beer brewing attempts by relatives, though!

The Italian "cooking is a social event" thing is pretty strong in my family. I don't dislike cooking but I'm nowhere near as skilled as everyone else and often just volunteer to sous chef for others. I'd say with brewing I've found my culinary niche and have something unique to bring to the table. :) That's a nice side effect of this hobby, at least. Sharing the beer I make is really satisfying.

I know there's a local home brew club in this area that I plan to meet up with at some point but otherwise I don't know any other brewers. My sister-in-law has shown the most interest and we might try to do a brew day together sometime when they're in town long enough.

Mrs MSK_chess helps with mashing in and sparging and sanitising and so many other things and she doesn't even like beer! Man what a lady. She 2 awesome.

I'd love it if I could get my wife into brewing. She loves drinking the beers I brew, but hasn't shown any interest in the process. Come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever asked her, but she's shown no interest in it so far.

She does like to laugh at how much "dishes" I do with brewing.

I'd love it if I could get my wife into brewing. She loves drinking the beers I brew, but hasn't shown any interest in the process. Come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever asked her, but she's shown no interest in it so far.

She does like to laugh at how much "dishes" I do with brewing.

maybe let her help with a recipe of something she wants you to brew and once she gets the concept let her come up with a recipe?

To me that is the fascinating part that would capture my attention if I was a stranger to brewing. I find at least the process of coming up with a recipe very similar to cooking. And also the most exciting part. Figuring out what you want to brew, what taste notes you want to find in there and how to achieve it. And when the beer comes out as planned - priceless!

I must say that I am happy to be all by myself and undisturbed when brewing. Only a few people I could endure around me or trying to help.
A very good friend of mine is very interested and also a very good helper. I could imagine having tons of fun brewing together with other brewers but with non-brewing friends you need a special kind of person.

With Halloween approaching, it's a good time remember that brewing was women's business until men (through the Church) decided to take it over by starting a literal witch hunt.

All the modern imagery associated with witches come for medieval ale wives:

- A big bubbling cauldron, that foams a lot during fermentation (and the fermentation itself, which wasn't well understood, appeared like magic)
- A cat to keep vermine away from the stored grains
- A stake at the front door, to say "Ale for sale here"
- A tall conical hat, which was used during fairs to be recognizable as the woman who sells ale.

On top of that, these sometimes independant women (who led ale houses) had the power to produce a mixture that made men act weirdly, and "lose their mind".

The Church demonized the ale witches to drive them away from the business (and took it over, in monasteries, for example).

So when my daughters will want to dress up as witches this coming Halloween, I'll try to be grateful and have a special thought for the women who brewed beer.

https://brewhoppin.com/2015/10/the-truth-of-women-and-beer-witches/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_brewing

http://www.alltheswirl.com/blog/5ayax6j7b7nje35lr4lk48fj3cwlz3

http://www.stylist.co.uk/life/recipes/women-and-beer-a-snap-shot-history

http://www.ancient-origins.net/hist...es-became-stereotypical-witch-021539/page/0/1

maybe let her help with a recipe of something she wants you to brew and once she gets the concept let her come up with a recipe?

To me that is the fascinating part that would capture my attention if I was a stranger to brewing. I find at least the process of coming up with a recipe very similar to cooking. And also the most exciting part. Figuring out what you want to brew, what taste notes you want to find in there and how to achieve it. And when the beer comes out as planned - priceless!

I must say that I am happy to be all by myself and undisturbed when brewing. Only a few people I could endure around me or trying to help.
A very good friend of mine is very interested and also a very good helper. I could imagine having tons of fun brewing together with other brewers but with non-brewing friends you need a special kind of person.

I agree with your comments about "assistants". I have several friends who've come to "help". Generally that means sit around, drink my beer, and distract me from my process. The only time I've made significant errors in my brewing happened when I had "help". I think having someone who's into brewing and wanted to actively participate would be great. A non-brewer who wants to drink and watch is a bit of an annoyance.

I agree with your comments about "assistants". I have several friends who've come to "help". Generally that means sit around, drink my beer, and distract me from my process. The only time I've made significant errors in my brewing happened when I had "help". I think having someone who's into brewing and wanted to actively participate would be great. A non-brewer who wants to drink and watch is a bit of an annoyance.

lol! Exactly.

Also my brew day is my holy day in every word sense. I usually do not have an entire day off from work - I have to at least come in in the morning - so when I have a day off I can use for brewing it is my holiday and I am unwilling to have that spoiled. And brewing, like cooking or baking has something very meditation-like. I don't feel like it is work but more like it is anti-stress therapy

And brewing, like cooking or baking has something very meditation-like. I don't feel like it is work but more like it is anti-stress therapy

That's exactly how I feel. Gardening too is the same way for me. Probably to others it looks/sounds like a lot of work, but I enjoy doing it. A chance to zone-out, and like you said, a chance to de-stress. And in the end you create something you can enjoy.

Back