Any ideas about using excess corn sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBXBob

Reaction score
I brew a lot of extract kits, because I enjoy trying different styles, but I usually keg instead of bottling. I end up with corn sugar I don't use. I thought about using it for humming bird food, but was worried about it fermenting in their little tummies and damaging their tiny livers. I got about 5# of the stuff, any ideas? :confused: Thanks!

You could always add some to the kettle while brewing. It will dry out your beer some as well raise the ABV slightly.

I brew a lot of extract kits, because I enjoy trying different styles, but I usually keg instead of bottling. I end up with corn sugar I don't use. I thought about using it for humming bird food, but was worried about it fermenting in their little tummies and damaging their tiny livers. I got about 5# of the stuff, any ideas? :confused: Thanks!

Makes an excellent neutral sugar in dry cures for meats. Save it for spring and summer, then smoke some stuff.

You can use it in humming bird food. just use a 1:4 ratio of sugar to water and they will be happy lil guys

+1 for barley& vine. Just add out to the boil. It's a negligible amount but will bump up the octane a little without affecting the beer at all.

I have used the corn sugar to "bump" ABV, but like my beers in the lower range to be more session-able. Really like the Apfelwein idea!
And if it won't hurt the little guys, will use it in the hummingbird feeders. Thanks guys! Any more ideas welcome :)

I had a ton at one time also.... i finally just started throwing them in with the boil. It only adds 2 1/2 tbls per gallon (5 gal batch) and is completely unnoticeable in flavor or abv.

Back