Any Harpoon beers worth a damn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Long and short of it, a buddy of mine at work is doing a client-appreciation event next month, he's doing a beer tasting and appetizers at a local restaurant for probably twenty of his clients. Without really CONSULTING with me, he committed to doing all Harpoon beers for the tasting. Too late to change that, it was spelled out in the invite that's already been mailed (I might have recommended we go with Sierra Nevada or someone else, but that ship has sailed).

So, he's asked me to help him pick from the list of beers we can get from the distributor. We're thinking four beers, total, we'll end up getting 10 or 12 cases. I haven't drunk that many Harpoon beers recently, and those that I have aren't all that memorable.

The regular IPA is one of the four.

The problem is the rest of the flight. The Summer Ale seasonal is a German Kolsche, got a sixer last night and it's very bland. Inoffensive, but bland. We were thinking maybe the Hefeweizen? Maybe the Belgian Pale Ale? Anyone had either of those?

For the deep-end of the flight, we were debating between the Chocolate Stout and the Quad. Bought a sixer of the Choc Stout this afternoon and it tastes like fermented chocolate syrup. Haven't been able to find the Quad to try it.

Anything else? I'm assuming we have access to the full lineup, although I've seen some things around (like the Celtic Ale) that aren't on our list.

Is there anything else they make that's worth a damn?

EDIT: I'm not sure exactly who he's inviting, but I'm assuming it's going to be mostly a blue-collar kind of crowd, so we're excluding things like the Raspberry Hefe.

Their regular line up has never impressed me, but they have some nice beers in their 100 barrel series. My wife was a huge fan of the ginger wheat.

I'm not too impressed with any of their beers...

I haven't been, either, which is why I wish he asked me before deciding on featuring "Harpoon."

Looking at the Belgian Pale, the IPA, maybe gambling on the quad, and thinking of the fourth. See if the Celtic Ale is still available from the distributor, I can buy a sixer in the store still but it's the "spring" seasonal and now they've got the Kolsch out. Maybe see if I can get him to wait one more day before ordering, hit one more of the good packies and do some more sampling.

If you're hosting a "blue collar" crowd, an IPA is already going to be above and beyond their normal drinking profile. Most of the blue collar folks I know stick to BMC almost religiously so I'd think twice before introducing a quad... Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but I'd focus on the more approachable beers. They'll be psyched that the beers are free, but only if they're "drinkable". While I never had Harpoon's version, the Kolsch sounds like a winner to me...

For clarification, "Blue collar" in the sense of... like, plumbers who own their own companies and have their company's retirement plan with us. We live in a pretty damn beer-friendly area (even the little corner package stores around here usually have more shelf space dedicated to craft beer than to BMC). And, he is promoting this as a "tasting," it's not just buy the guys a bunch of beers at happy hour.

The thought it a couple beers that were approachable (like the Belgian Pale, maybe the IPA) and a couple that were a little more adventurous.

DONT get the quad!

I toured the brewery and tried everything a few weeks ago on a rainy spring weekend in VT. I was also kinda underwhelmed with their beers. They are good just not amazing.

The quad was overdone and tasted really hot like a young homebrew. The spicyness was too much and at nearly 12% it was too much in my opinion. I drink a lot of real and american version belgians and all of them are pretty much better than this one. I was disappointed!

My favorites was the Barleywine, which I don't normally drink but was malty had a nice "hidden" bitterness and was just great. It's part of the leviathin series.

I also liked
Munich dunkel or something like that
Belgian PA was pretty good too
the stout with oysters was pretty good and original also..

I didn't think the IPA was too over the top myself. It was better than the Smuttynose IPA,imo. The Harpoon IPA had a better malt/hop profile to me. But the Belgian should fit in well.

I also would go with the Munich Dunkel (not sure how easily you can get it) and the Oyster Stout.

I also would go with the Munich Dunkel (not sure how easily you can get it) and the Oyster Stout.

They aren't on the list we have from the distributor. My buddy that's doing the event is friendly with the guy who runs the distributor, so he's going to call tomorrow and inquire about the availability of the Celtic Ale. He reminded me that we had tried it (and really liked it) a couple of months back when we went for drinks.

So, ideally, we're looking at:

1. Belgian Pale
2. Celtic Ale (I'd be happy with a Dunkel here, too, if it's any good).
3. IPA
4.... maybe the Barleywine. Wanting something a little different, adventurous here at the end.

FWIW, Harpoon used to be my #1 "grab it and run" 12-pack beer. My better half prefers Sam Adams Boston Lager so that's become our standard these days (my homebrews are more variable than she can deal with...good...more for me!) Last night we went out for dinner and I had a couple Harpoon IPA drafts. They were truly excellent. It's been a while since I had a bottle but this seemed far beter than the bottled version (or they've changed the recipe). I've been trying a lot of IPA's recently and even brewed a couple. Many are more hop/citrus than I prefer. This Harpoon had almost perfect balance IMHO. That's why I was here today looking for a "great" Harpoon IPA all-grain discussion. BTW, there is a recipe in the current Clone Brews book.

never been a big fan of Harpoon. their 100 barrel series is their best stuff, but otherwise the ipa is decent, the ufo hefes, although kinda girly for my liking, are pretty good.

BUMP

The Quad has recently been re-released...picked up a 4 pack yesterday...2 went into the fridge (to be drank tonight) and 2 went into the cellar to age.

So far I have not been disappointed with any of the Leviathan Series beers...Still believe the DIPA in the series is the best DIPA. Love the Barleywine also.

I have never seen it at the store but I went to their brewery a few months ago while on vacation and they had a series of beers called leviathon (spelling?). They were high gravity but killer good. Search those out if you can. They had three types of leviathons, can't remeber which was the best.

I like their Chocolate Porter, the UFO is a decent white, and they make a great Pumpkin Ale, if you can still find some.

I had Harpoon IPA last spring and I thought it was great but the situation probably had as much to do with it as anything. I was drinking it on the veranda of the Partridge Inn in Augusta, GA on a beautiful spring afternoon after driving all day and we had tickets for the Masters the next day.

Once in a while Harpoon puts out a 12 pack sampler. I can get them in the supermarket for 12 bucks. Certain styles I find a little "watery" but all in all they're OK.

I was actually very surprised with their Chocolate Stout. I thought it was very well balanced between being sweet chocolatey in the aroma and taste, think semisweet chocolate bar, and well hop bittered to balance it all out. It has struck such a chord that I would like to try and suitable recipe to clone this. Anyone who has tried this have any ideas where to start? I was thinking of taking some 70-80% quality bittersweet chocolate, melting it and adding it to the boil of my house stout recipe.

So since I just read this whole old ass thread without realizing it was old until 3/4's of the way through.... How about an update?! Did the beer tasting go ok? All of the beer and wine tastings I've been too served drinks from different breweries. I'm not sure why you would do a tasting of just Harpoon beers unless you worked for harpoon....

Well, I wasn't entirely in charge, I was mostly there in an advisory capacity. My buddy is friends with people at the local distributor, which really does not distribute all that many different beers. Why he did JUST Harpoon, honestly, the reason kind of escapes me except that there weren't any other really good breweries on there other than Sierra Nevada. There may have been a financial reason for that, I really can't remember.

It wasn't even really a formal tasting, we invited some of his clients and had people hang out and relax, get to know each other, have a few bites to eat. Went really well, people really enjoyed it. The beer was good, the guy who was serving had a little too much to drink himself, but by the time he got too sloppy it was all just people who were also friends (in addition to being clients) who were left.

The beers were good - I think my favorite was probably the Barleywine, as I recall it being a little drier than most barleywines (almost more like a big IPA).

It was just a chance to say "thanks" to some clients, give them a chance to come out and have a few drinks in a very relaxed atmosphere. Worked out great.

I bought a sixer of the Chocolate Stout couple of months ago, still have 2 in fridge. Has an unpleasing taste & mouth-feel to me.

I think I might have to use the word "hate" along with Harpoon beers. Seriously, as I posted a few weeks ago, the only beer I have ever not finished in my life was their winter warmer. But I do like to experiment, I bought their IPA a few months ago and "disliked" it. I was brainstorming on how to formulate a bohemian pilsner and realized their are THREE local hops from the Czech, not just Saaz...days later I am at a craft pub and find that Harpoon has done a Sladek hopped pilsner...it was aweful. Now I realize why Saaz was so popular.

Still, I am at a craft brew store last week and fine Harpoons 100 Barrell Vermont Spruce Ale. I am serious when I say this is one of the best beers on the planet. It made even a hop head like me appreciate a low IBU beer! My wife smelled and tasted a bit of it and agreed that it was one of the best beers she has had. I have had many of the "best beers" as promoted by this site and they are very good, but this is just fantastic...might turn out to be my first clone!

Again, 100 Barrell Vermont Spruce is truly magically, a legit New England ale that I am proud of...go buy it...immediately!

Their 100 Barrel Series is out of the park. Like, all of them. I had a Docesna last night - even with too much age for a 6.1% beer it was fantastic. Their Leviathan series is lights out, too.

...That said, their IPA is second only to Shipyard's in mediocrity, and the Winter Warmer is horrifying. I've actually got a bottle left from '09 that I just can't seem to bring myself to drink. I had two out of the sixer, gave the other three away... Can't seem to get the last one into me. I figure I'll let it go until it hits five years and see if it's drinkable.

Back