Any Guitar Pickers In Da House?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fun fun...

274511775_g2EGe-XL.jpg

461094418_H7cuF-XL-1.jpg

389335283_wXRk2-XL.jpg

460332841_h5Efj-XL.jpg

I been keeping an eye on those Hello Kitty (well a Strat Squire one) for my youngest here lately. She is only 6 but shows a lot of interest so I may be picking one up in a couple of years.

Anyone else play CBG's (Cigar Box Guitars)? I am not a super huge Blues fan, but I do love the old school type blues. I seen a guy playing one and decided I wanted one. After not being very impressed with a lot of them I seen for sale online I decided to start building my own. Turns out I am better at building them than playing them....lol.

Here is my first one I ever built. I even built the pick up.....:D

l_4df6f9c46c739c57221baf2049dcf228.jpg

l_355fd98acfe832e22a25eb096d80fc8e.jpg

l_473b3d0822986b59fe86427ee371ac85.jpg

I've got way more guitars than I need, and I just pulled the trigger on another one.

Check out the one that I just bought:

NEW DEAN CADILLAC KILL CANNIBAL CORPSE ELECTRIC GUITAR - eBay (item 310123077495 end time Feb-23-09 19:27:51 PST)

Dig the inlays on this one... Is that not the most wiked thing you've ever seen ? Probably not the kind of thing most of you go for, but for me its especially cool since its a "Cannibal Corpse" custom job. That makes it a double score. A score for my guitar collection and a score for my Cannibal Corpse memorabillia collection.

cadikill_fb.jpg

In total that brings me to:

ELECTRICS:
1 Jackson Dinky Custom Revese Headstock in Black with Floyd Rose and Duncan Invader pickup
1 Jackson PS-2 in Black with Floyd Rose and Stock Jackson branded Duncan Pickups
1 Carvin DC-127 Hardtail, in Tung-Oiled KOA finish
1 Mexi-Strat in Sunburst
1 Squire Bullet in Baby Blue
1 Dean Cadillac "Cannibal Corpse" KILL Version

ACOUSTICS:
1 Yamaha C-90 Classical
1 Alvarez FYM96C Folk Acoustic with Figured Walnut Top and Gold Hardware

AMPLIFIERS/PREAMPS:
Digitech 2101 Studio Tube with Artist Upgrade and FC1 Foot Controller
Digitech GNX-3 Guitar Workstation ( Most Unused )
Line 6 4x12 Slant Top Cabinet
Custom Built Hand Wired Amp Head based on Marshall JTM45 circuit
Marshall MG15CD Combo Practice Amp

Whats the most recent song you guys learned how to play ?

I nailed Hotel California a few weeks ago. Now I'm working on Hendrix's version of "Come On".

I've been known to pluck a few...just for fun. Here are some of my favorites...mostly play flatops anymore but once in a while I fire up the Dotneck with a blackface Princeton Reverb...

2070508093_20a1ac37ea.jpg

1798775566_1dbc8d4c78.jpg

2492293766_900429d74f.jpg

3037334983_3cfdf93371.jpg

Whats the most recent song you guys learned how to play ?

I nailed Hotel California a few weeks ago. Now I'm working on Hendrix's version of "Come On".

I'm working on Great Big Sea's new album, Fortune's Favor... at least the traditional songs on it and some Ron Hynes songs.

We do the kitchen party thing when family comes over and summer camping trips end up as a céilidh.

Which neck is that? I always dug the hello kitty hardtail and the badtz maru bronco but the frets where/are awful. :D

Its got a carvin 22 fret maple neck (tung oil finish), ebony freboard, jumbo frets, abalone dot inlays, schaller locking tuners, dimarzio super distortion pup. Ready and willing to rock!! ;) It actually plays real well with the neck on there... super comfortable guitar. The stock neck felt like a kiddy toy, lousy nut, lousy tuners, lousy frets, lousy fretboard... i pretty much hated everything about that neck but the body kills! HA!

Just bought a new Martin MMV. LOVE it. Old axe is a mid 90's Yamaha FG411. I used to play in a band but have sold all that gear. Have been playing since 1995.

Most recent song I'm working on nailing is Tears in Heaven

the last one I learned (I play bass [sort of]) was gang Control by leftover crack. I'm still a little slow on it in some parts but for the most part I have it. Im trying to nail Southbound Pachyderm by Primus now.

Rhythm portion of Sultan's of Swing...:rockin:

Thats a fun song to play. I got started a few weeks ago with playing that, and got probably 90% of the song before I got distracted.

There is a website called vanderbilly.com that has videos of how to play rock songs on guitar - they have a video for that song, you should go check it out.

Well i'll repeat it one last time because i feel it got hosed out for some reasons, any original composers in here with a myspace page or reverbnation or such page aside from me?

Playing covers is fun but i prefer making originals, im quite sure i aint alone being this way? *LOL*

Personally I never bother with playing original songs. Pretty much gave up on that 20 years ago. But I still jam and improvise sometimes, not anything that I would ever bother to try and record and put on myspace or anything like that. I have a few "songs" that I've made up - mostly just some catchy riff that caught my ear so I put some funny lyrics with it to make the kids laugh. You know songs about farts.... silly stuff. I wouldn't really call that a song because for the most part I make it up as I go along keeping the kids entertained.

Ok, im pretty much on the opposite side of the scale, never found much fun in playing covers except for when having something people will recognize to play besides a campfire with buddies or something like that.

The best guitar players got to be the best from covering other people's songs though.

If you want to get good, you've got to copy from other people.

There is the other side to it.

My take on it is that there are simply two types of musicians, ones who find it more rewarding to learn and play covers, and others like me who are more inclined into composing originals.

If "Insert any known guitarist here" had spent all his life just playing covers, he would have never became who he is now.

It's like sculpting, painting or any other art form, the need to create something of your own instead of just reproducing existing stuff.

Thats a fun song to play. I got started a few weeks ago with playing that, and got probably 90% of the song before I got distracted.

There is a website called vanderbilly.com that has videos of how to play rock songs on guitar - they have a video for that song, you should go check it out.
Great site. Thanks for the lead. :mug:

Sweet Thread! I was wondering if other people where players here on HBT. I play an old school Telecaster out of a peavey classic 30. Glad to see some other players on here.:rockin:

I knew I'd discover a thread like this eventually...

I've been playing guitar since I was 9. And play a Strat and a 1965 Epiphone Olympic, amongst other axes.

Has anybody heard Derek Trucks' new album. Slide genius I say...

What's an "old school Telecaster"?

I have a blond '76 Telecaster Deluxe (Strat neck, 2 humbuckers).;)
I've got a '65 telecaster with single coils that I found at a garage sale for $600. Whooaa!:mug: Good to see some Tele players. What kinda of music are you into. I was listening to some roy buchanan today.b A fellow tele man.

Just got one of these in the mail today:

561325.jpg

Seriously, the reviews are dead on. My first impression is that this is not a bad guitar at all, especially for the price. I've always wanted an 000 sized acoustic...

I've been playing since I was 14, so I started 21 years ago. Completely self-taught, so I developed my own style, but nowhere near as 'technical' as I should be after all those years. That's ok though, I grew up on punk rock. 99% of what I play is original. Haven't played as much since my son was born, but I'm getting back into it. My friend and I put out an album, Col "Woodstock Woods" on our own-- I'm really proud of it, even if only 10 people ever listen to it. I play mostly acoustic, I like the dynamics and feel of playing acoustic (unless I'm playing with drums, then it's electric for me). I play a Taylor, not one of the real high-end ones, but I love that guitar and hope to play it for the rest of my life.
Our band Col has a myspace page... kind of a collection of latest songs we're working on, but I haven't been on myspace in a while... www.myspace.com/col_band
It's all for fun and personal enjoyment, although I do harbor the dream of touring across America playing county fairs and backyard homebrew parties...

+1 on the 'playing for many years but not very good' bit
I mostly play electric, bluesy kind of stuff. I've got a 50s reissue MIJ Strat, a Korean Hamer archtop solid body, a Taylor acoustic, a Peavey Foundation bass, an Agile AL-3100 Les Paul clone (my newest guitar, and still loving it), and a couple of cheapie banger guitars. Amp-wise, I've got a few Fender tube amps -- a silverface Champ and a silverface Musicmaster Bass, and a Traynor 4x12" Reverb Master. I tend to modify the electronics on the guitars and whatnot, perhaps because I'm better at that than actually creating music...

I named my brewery Six String Brewing for a reason...Martin DCX-1E, Strat, Ibanez Bass, Peavy G-Bass, couple cheap guitars, few amps, crunchy fingertips, you know the drill...

Back