Any Guitar Pickers In Da House?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago I really got into playing, but not so much anymore. Now I just have a little Fender DG-22 Acoustic that is in desparate need of some strings. I was always more of a Rhythm player since i don't really have the attention span to practice scales & modes, so no lead chops here. I also played drums for a bit, that was good fun.

8.jpg

8 strings? never seen that, guess I've really lost touch with it. Sweet lookin' axe though.

8 strings? never seen that, guess I've really lost touch with it. Sweet lookin' axe though.

Yea I'm all about the extended range guitar. Had a 7 string for 11 years and decided to get one of these. I am currently looking for a replacement 7 string though...an Ibanez S series.

Yea I'm all about the extended range guitar. Had a 7 string for 11 years and decided to get one of these. I am currently looking for a replacement 7 string though...an Ibanez S series.

How do you play chords on that? Do you play just fingerings on 6 of the 8 strings? Other fingerings? What is the tuning top to bottom?

I have a fender acoustic I bought back around 1985 for about $200, nothing special and I Gibson Les Paul Special I bought new back in 1978 for $412, double cut away. Action on the LPS is so low and the neck so thin. Would really be worth a lot today if I cared for it better, kind of beat up, that and I replaced the original pickups (had to file away some wood to do so) :( . Plays just fine though and stays in tune very well.

How do you play chords on that? Do you play just fingerings on 6 of the 8 strings? Other fingerings? What is the tuning top to bottom?

I have a fender acoustic I bought back around 1985 for about $200, nothing special and I Gibson Les Paul Special I bought new back in 1978 for $412, double cut away. Action on the LPS is so low and the neck so thin. Would really be worth a lot today if I cared for it better, kind of beat up, that and I replaced the original pickups (had to file away some wood to do so) :( . Plays just fine though and stays in tune very well.

F# B E A D G B E

All the 6 string stuff applies...but you can do different voicings with the low strings. Its a pretty neat instrument and like I said not much of a switch for me after playing the 7 for so long.

Hell yeah! I play every day much to the dismay of the SWMBO.

I have been playing my PRS a lot more lately, but typically play my Martin.

I have like 6 other guitars that don't see much action any more.

Typically I am playing anything from Metallica to Dave Matthews Band. Trying to learn all of Bullet For My Valentine now though.

F# B E A D G B E

All the 6 string stuff applies...but you can do different voicings with the low strings. Its a pretty neat instrument and like I said not much of a switch for me after playing the 7 for so long.

Thanks for the reply, I was about to bump the thread.

I saw Chet Atkins "Certified Guitar Player" over the weekend; it was on a PBS channel. Did anyone happen to see it? Kind of a tribute concert back in 1987 in which he participated. Not being a fan of country music (and he did way more) I never listened to him much but I know he was influential to many. Wow, that guy had mastered the fret board and theory IMO. What he played during that concert I really enjoyed.

Back