Any brewers in the Conway Area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all! Headed out in the AM for the big town of San Diego, gonna be gone for a week or so. Might bring back some tasty CA craft brews. Hope everyone is having a good summer.

You know my favorite... Green Flash! Try to find a big bottle of their Trippel... I still have plenty of our favorite Road Warrior Rye PA...
Have fun!
BTW- Brewed 2 batches on the 27th and 2 batches yesterday... trying to fill the pipeline... :mug:

I'm in San Diego, having a blast! Went out to the beach yesterday, visited some bars. I've been trying every craft beer I can get my hands on. Firestone, Ballast Point, Deschutes, Angel City, Belching Beaver, Left Hand, Pizza Port, Green Flash, Stone, Belle's, some Anchor seasonals, and literally a half dozen more. I've got about 15 bottles so far I'm bringing back, and people ask why we drove!

Going out to tour Green Flash, and possibly Ballast Point today.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

Hope everyone is well!

I'm in San Diego, having a blast! Went out to the beach yesterday, visited some bars. I've been trying every craft beer I can get my hands on. Firestone, Ballast Point, Deschutes, Angel City, Belching Beaver, Left Hand, Pizza Port, Green Flash, Stone, Belle's, some Anchor seasonals, and literally a half dozen more. I've got about 15 bottles so far I'm bringing back, and people ask why we drove!

Going out to tour Green Flash, and possibly Ballast Point today.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

Hope everyone is well!

awesome! I can't wait to try some of them when you get home... Green Flash, Belle's, and Left Hand... wow! Just hearing those 3 together makes me thirsty... :rockin:

Ok well I made it back with loads of great beer. Had a fantastic time. Weather was great in San Diego, about 70F each day I was there. Still have some CA beer left if anyone wants to swap a home brew for some. I'm going to break these pics up into several posts.

Ballast Point gave a nice tour, lasted about an hour, pretty informative. The brewery is built in an old Chicken of the Sea Factory. They brew 24/7/365, except for Christmas day. They have 2 separate brewing systems, one system is just for their flag ship beer, Sculpin. The copper tank you see is the original brewing equipment, that Sculpin is still brewed on. I think it's an 80 bbl system. They purchased it from a German brewer that has been in steady production for hundreds of years, the brewery not the actual equipment. The large tanks you see outside are 1200 bbls. Very well made beers, and in a good variety. Sorry no pics of the tap room and restaurant but the food was great and they even had a wine menu for the non beer lovers.

1thumb.jpg

2thumb.jpg

3thumb.jpg

4thumb.jpg

6thumb.jpg

awesome... :) started drinking a few of the beers you brought me while I brewed some new IPA... Centennial, Cascade, and Citra... :)

We visited Duckfoot, which is a smaller brewery right behind Ballast Point. They don't bottle much, looked like a 7.5 bbl brewhouse maybe. I think they are using some sort of enzyme so that they can use malted barley to make gluten free beer, either way the beer was FANTASTIC. I was honestly blown away by it.

After that we moved onto Green Flash. The bar area is in the brewery more or less. We had a flight and several pints. Bought some food from the food truck outside too. Very nice and modern looking building, good staff. Couldn't get a tour because they only do them every 4 hours or so.

Oh and the cat didn't "help" us drink any beer but he was there for moral support most of the week, he is property of the in-laws.

8thumb.jpg

10thumb.jpg

9thumb.jpg

11thumb.jpg

Just some pics of our travels home. The Mexican border, and we had to go through Dallas a couple days after the shooting.

12thumb.jpg

13thumb.jpg

14thumb.jpg

15thumb.jpg

16thumb.jpg

Enjoying a nice Lost Forty tonight, anyone brewing soon?

the IPA I had there was pretty tasty...it was their Azacca IPA. You know me... I'm always up to brewing... :) I was just thinking about it but cooling wort is a bear when it's 100* outside...

One of these days I'm going to make a pre-chiller, since I make my own block ice it just makes sense. This time of year I just get mine to 70-80F then throw it in the chamber until the next morning.

One of these days I'm going to make a pre-chiller, since I make my own block ice it just makes sense. This time of year I just get mine to 70-80F then throw it in the chamber until the next morning.

toady's recipe~
8.0 lbs. 2 Row
1.5 lbs. Maris Otter
6.5 oz. Cara 20L
1.5 oz. white wheat

151* mash for 75 minutes

1 oz. Willamette @60

US-05 slurry / ferm. @ 67*

:tank:

Looks good. Would have texted you back but was cycling about 25 miles this morning. Sure was humid.

I tried the Road Warrior, and it isn't "bad" per say, but the hop flavor is kinda gone. Sort of 1 dimensional. So sad.....

Looks good. Would have texted you back but was cycling about 25 miles this morning. Sure was humid.

I tried the Road Warrior, and it isn't "bad" per say, but the hop flavor is kinda gone. Sort of 1 dimensional. So sad.....

Everything went great... cooling the wort in the fermentation freezer before I add the yeast... should be ready soon.

25 miles... I get tired just thinking about it... LOL

I'm still bummed about the Road Warrior... and the Trippel has that same 'old' taste, but not quite as bad... :( I guess I just have to start drinking it all quicker... :)

Glass on the Beach will get you a ticket in Corpus. Go to pour in a cup quickly or use the SS growlers.

Ballast Point has my dream brewery in Little Italy. Homebrewmart was my go to homebrew store and I can remember the day BP put in their first tanks. When they were small I would sit and drink .25 cent samples all day.

The 30oz yeti did the trick I just kept the bottles in the cooler except to pour in cup right after the picture was taken the beach patrol came by before i could put the bottle up but didn't get in trouble because his brother in law Homebrews!

Hey Hillbillies..... If you make it to Little Rock do the tour at Rock Town Distillery then go a block down the street and tour Lost 40 Brewing Company..... Lost 40 has a Pilsner on Tap that is actually what I consider the best commercially produced Arkansas Beer!!!! They had an Oatmeal stout they were barrel aging... It was excellent!

Hey Hillbillies..... If you make it to Little Rock do the tour at Rock Town Distillery then go a block down the street and tour Lost 40 Brewing Company..... Lost 40 has a Pilsner on Tap that is actually what I consider the best commercially produced Arkansas Beer!!!! They had an Oatmeal stout they were barrel aging... It was excellent!

I am totally HOOKED on that Pilsner!!! I've actually been known to go to 2-3 different liquor stores to find Bare Bones here lately. I've been wanting to do that tour pretty bad. May ride the river trail one day then take the time to do some of that stuff, father-in-law lives in NLR near the park.

The 30oz yeti did the trick I just kept the bottles in the cooler except to pour in cup right after the picture was taken the beach patrol came by before i could put the bottle up but didn't get in trouble because his brother in law Homebrews!

Oh another good trick is to bottle in the aluminum bottles. I had some of the 16 oz BL aluminum bottles given to me and I've used them a number of times without incident. No label to peel off either. I mean most beeches will let you have cans right?

I am totally HOOKED on that Pilsner!!! I've actually been known to go to 2-3 different liquor stores to find Bare Bones here lately. I've been wanting to do that tour pretty bad. May ride the river trail one day then take the time to do some of that stuff, father-in-law lives in NLR near the park.

dang Eric, If I had only known, I would have brought you back a six pack! Cathy had the Blonde and it wasn't that good. I had the Azacca IPA and it was pretty tasty... Cathy would likely had preferred the Pilsner...

I love all their beers but the Pilsner is great. The Day Drinker Belgian is very well made. What size is their brew house?

Oh another good trick is to bottle in the aluminum bottles. I had some of the 16 oz BL aluminum bottles given to me and I've used them a number of times without incident. No label to peel off either. I mean most beeches will let you have cans right?

Now that sounds like a good trick I like how you think!

I love all their beers but the Pilsner is great. The Day Drinker Belgian is very well made. What size is their brew house?

Eric,
I believe it's a 30 bbl system.... but I did Rock Town, Diamond Bear and Lost 40 all within a 4 hour time frame.... Things got a little fuzzy if you know what I mean! I'll be back in Arkansas from mid December to Mid January. Would any of you be interested in getting together and volunteering at Rock Town for a Bottling Party or meeting up at Lost 40 for a meet and greet?

Eric,
I believe it's a 30 bbl system.... but I did Rock Town, Diamond Bear and Lost 40 all within a 4 hour time frame.... Things got a little fuzzy if you know what I mean! I'll be back in Arkansas from mid December to Mid January. Would any of you be interested in getting together and volunteering at Rock Town for a Bottling Party or meeting up at Lost 40 for a meet and greet?

The wife and I are expecting a newborn around New Year's Day so I dunno what I'll be able to do, I'm sure I could get away for a couple hours.

If the weather permitted a trip... I'd be in... Eric, maybe Randy would come too...

Yeah need to just buck up and do it eh?

I'm going down to LR to pick up some grain on the 29th of this month for a 15 gallon batch of pumpkin. I'm gonna be in LR anyway that day if you need something let me know.

I'm gonna have some leftover grain that I don't have any plans for, was wondering if you might be interested in splitting a batch of high ABV barley wine? I've always wanted to brew something 11-13%, or really as high as possible that can age for a long time. Equipment may be a limiting factor, I was thinking of doing a 10, that would be 5 for each of us which is like 10 gallons if you consider the high abv. I just want to use up all this grain because I'm not going to brew again until after the baby is born most likely. I also have some 6 row too, so I should be able to come up with all the grain.

Yeah need to just buck up and do it eh?

I'm going down to LR to pick up some grain on the 29th of this month for a 15 gallon batch of pumpkin. I'm gonna be in LR anyway that day if you need something let me know.

I'm gonna have some leftover grain that I don't have any plans for, was wondering if you might be interested in splitting a batch of high ABV barley wine? I've always wanted to brew something 11-13%, or really as high as possible that can age for a long time. Equipment may be a limiting factor, I was thinking of doing a 10, that would be 5 for each of us which is like 10 gallons if you consider the high abv. I just want to use up all this grain because I'm not going to brew again until after the baby is born most likely. I also have some 6 row too, so I should be able to come up with all the grain.

let me know when... I do have the 2 pots... I guess I should finish wiring my 80qt. sometime... LOL. I've never made barley wine... I know it seems like all of my beers are high ABV...but I've settled in on 6-7% as my favorites... I rarely even make a stout these days.

I've never done one either, always say I'm going to but never do. I think the 80 qt would be big enough, I will crunch some numbers.

I am in the process of building a keezer and have wired the temp controller. The problem I am having is once the temp decreased below the tolerance, it never shuts off. I can even turn the controller off, and it continues to run. You can hear the controller click as it hits the set points, but it just doesn't shut off. Not sure what is wrong.

I am in the process of building a keezer and have wired the temp controller. The problem I am having is once the temp decreased below the tolerance, it never shuts off. I can even turn the controller off, and it continues to run. You can hear the controller click as it hits the set points, but it just doesn't shut off. Not sure what is wrong.

sounds like a simple wiring problem. I'm sure you've seen this stuff but here's one of the best places to see how to build the controller. If I was closer I would be glad to help and could even loan you my spare until yours was working properly.
http://brewprof.com/weekend-diy-homebrew-project-dual-stage-temperature-controller-stc-1000/2/

I am wanting to flush mount the controller to my collar once I build it, so this is how I have wired it. I took an extension cord and cut it in half and have the two sections coming out of a switch box. then I have a length of wiring coming out of a third hole in the box to the controller. Inside the box, I connected the two grounds from each side of the extension cord. Then I have all three black wires in the box together, and all three white wires in the box together. At the controller, I have black wires in 1 and 7, connecting both to the black wire coming from the box, and the white wires in 2 and 8, connecting both of them to the white wire coming from the box. Then hooked up the sensor. I didn't do anything with the heat circuit since I'm only looking to cool the keezer for kegs.

I am wanting to flush mount the controller to my collar once I build it, so this is how I have wired it. I took an extension cord and cut it in half and have the two sections coming out of a switch box. then I have a length of wiring coming out of a third hole in the box to the controller. Inside the box, I connected the two grounds from each side of the extension cord. Then I have all three black wires in the box together, and all three white wires in the box together. At the controller, I have black wires in 1 and 7, connecting both to the black wire coming from the box, and the white wires in 2 and 8, connecting both of them to the white wire coming from the box. Then hooked up the sensor. I didn't do anything with the heat circuit since I'm only looking to cool the keezer for kegs.

Are you using an STC-1000?

Latest posts

Back