Any Bostonians here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning a quick weekend trip to Boston with my wife this fall, and I was wondering if any locals had any recommendations for "must-see" sights, or particularly good restaurants. My wife loves seafood; me, not so much, so somewhere with a good mix of both would be preferred.

I'm also hoping to maybe do a tour of the Sam Adams brewery. Are there any other great local breweries we should make a point of visiting? Are there any good pubs that specialize in featuring great craft beer? Any particular hotels would should consider or avoid? Is there a "bad" area of town we should stay away from? Looking for any recommendations here.

Hey again guys,

So I'm moving ahead with planning this trip, and I'm trying to decide on a hotel to book. My question is: What neighborhood should I be booking in? We'd like to stay in a hotel in an area of town with lots of interesting stuff nearby (i.e., walking distance), specifically food or touristy things. Any suggestions?

Boston Marriott Long Wharf. Scenic waterfront location near Faneuil Hall and within a comfortable stroll of pretty much the best of Boston. Not too hard on the wallet, either...

Cheers!

Didn't see your OP, but also check out Harpoon's beer hall. Closer to downtown than SA, and (IMO) a better tour. As for restaurants, what price point are you looking at? (Good options at pretty much any price point, just want to narrow down recommendations)

Agree with tripper for the hotel. I went to the Sam Adams tour. They don't brew much onsite, the tour guides didn't know much about the brewing process and it was a race to get through so people could taste beer. I was pretty disappointed.
I like some of the restaurants in the North End.
The Duck boat tour is interesting. Also I would suggest the old town trolley tour. You can get on and off any trolley all day. So it is quick transportation if you plan your day right. Interesting history lesson along the way.
Red Sox should have locked up a playoff spot by the time you come out, so maybe Fenway?

Might want to check out the dysfunctional masshole thread. Those guys know their stuff!
(Dripping with sarcasm)

As for restaurants, what price point are you looking at? (Good options at pretty much any price point, just want to narrow down recommendations)

I'd say mid-to-upper end? Like, maybe $50-$100/person for the meal, including drinks? Bonus points for a place with top-notch seafood (my wife loves seafood), but also has "turf" options for someone who'd prefer a thick steak instead.

Boston Marriott Long Wharf. Scenic waterfront location near Faneuil Hall and within a comfortable stroll of pretty much the best of Boston. Not too hard on the wallet, either...

Looks great, but the website is quoting me $572/night. :( Most sites seem to be more expensive around the time we're looking to go (mid-September). Is that peak season or something?

Not a Bostonian but have been there a handful of times. Best stay was at the Omni Parker House. Small rooms but some history and centrally located. For seafood hit up Barking Crab, kinda dive bar style but great food and if its a nice night a seat near the water gives some good views. Def do Harpoon over Sam Adams. Harpoon is one of my favorite brewery tours because they are a large scale production brewery. Its not just a Dog and Pony Show. BTW the whole city is walk-able and from Harpoon it is only a short stroll to Barking Crab.

Perfect, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for? Any recommendations for an upscale place to have supper Friday night after we fly in? Someplace downtown with great food and a decent craft beer selection?

Not upscale by any measure, but I'll 2nd the Barking Crab.
Campy as all hell, like "ketchup red and mustard yellow circus tent with nets full of plastic lobsters hanging from the ceiling" kinda campy, but GREAT fresh seafood.
Used to be it was all fried, but I believe the last time I was in there they had broiled and baked options.

DRAFT – $6
Barking Crab White Ale, (Harpoon), Boston
Harpoon IPA, Boston
Harpoon Seasonal Ale, Boston
Crabby Lager, (Wachusett) Westminster, MA
Samuel Adams Seasonal, Boston
Wachusett Blueberry, Wesminster, MA
Bad Martha Vineyard Ale, Marth’s Vineyard, MA
Cisco Grey Lady, Nantucket, MA
Jacks Abby Sunny Ridge Pilsner, Framingham, MA
Fishermens Brew, Gloucester, MA
Guinness, Ireland
Lagunita’s IPA, Petaluma, CA
Downeast Cider, Charlestown, MA

http://barkingcrab.com/boston_gallery/

Perfect, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for? Any recommendations for an upscale place to have supper Friday night after we fly in? Someplace downtown with great food and a decent craft beer selection?

If you are staying at the Parker House (the oldest continuously operated hotel in the country) Stoddards would be a good choice as its a really nice gastropub about a 5 min walk away. It used to be a cutlery store. They have a really nice beer list.

Another recommendation in the area is the Marliave. Very interesting spot and they filmed some of the original Thomas Crown Affair there.

If you are staying in the Downtown Crossing area there are now a ton of choices for places with food good and beer.

I'd say mid-to-upper end? Like, maybe $50-$100/person for the meal, including drinks? Bonus points for a place with top-notch seafood (my wife loves seafood), but also has "turf" options for someone who'd prefer a thick steak instead.

Ok, sorry for the delay.

Island Creek Oyster Bar (Kenmore Square)
- Personal favorite for seafood, some turf options (though no steak)
-Great wine/cocktail/and of course beer programs

Eastern Standard
-Great French inspired food
-Great wine/cocktail/and of course beer programs

Toro
-Amazing tapas
-Not as many beers

Myers & Chang
-Great creative Chinese food
-Chang is Joanne Chang of Flour Bakery (must try sticky buns)

Parish Cafe
-Good food
-TONS of beer options... seriously, like every beer

Alden & Harlow
-Good, creative menu

Row 34
-Same owners as ICOB (above) but smaller plates

Ok, think thats good for now. Let me know if you have any other questions or want some more suggestions.

Cheers :mug:

Back