Any body using a Mini Brew plastic HLT ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windsors

Reaction score
I need to go to a larger HLT for 10 gallon batches and looking at 2 options - 1. the Mini Brew plastic HLT or, 2. making one from a 15 gallon SS keg.

I want electric heat, so the Mini Brew looked like a good option with the electric heating element 1" threaded port. The plastic should keep temperatures better as well and avoid having to insulate the SS keg.

Any thoughts on the Mini brew ? Does it hold up well ? Is the sight glass sturdy and replaceable ? If using the electric, how long does it take to bring up 10 gallons or so to mash / sparge temps ? What element are you using ?

Thanks

Bill

a 1500W or 2000W would be adequate for a HLT.
Search for POL's Bling BLing Electris HERMS system. Lots of good electric brewing info in there.

I posted above in the All grain forum, but it probably belongs here.

I need to go to a larger HLT for 10 gallon batches and looking at 2 options - 1. the Mini Brew plastic HLT or, 2. making one from a 15 gallon SS keg.

I want electric heat, so the Mini Brew looked like a good option with the electric heating element 1" threaded port. The plastic should keep temperatures better as well and avoid having to insulate the SS keg.

Any thoughts on the Mini brew ? Does it hold up well ? Is the sight glass sturdy and replaceable ? If using the electric, how long does it take to bring up 10 gallons or so to mash / sparge temps ? What element are you using ?

Thanks

Bill

I've looked into the Mini Brew systems also. Overall, they look like fairly good systems. My only concern would be how scratch resistant are they and how well does it hold heat? I think either one of your choices will require you to insulate, but at least with the MiniMash, you can always recirculate and heat the mash as needed instead of worrying about constant temps.

The HighGravity website states it will raise temp of 15 gallons by 160F every hour.

I have two pieces of Hobby Beverages equipment: the 15 gallon conical and MLT.

So far, I am only somewhat pleased with the conical... I am generally down on conicals anyhow right now for a couple of reasons. The first is the difficulty in keeping them clean and sanitary even without threaded connections.

They are just BIG. It's not easy bringing them into and out of my fridge AND they tie up my entire fridge. Second, either the plastic or the metal conicals that have threaded connections... you really need to take them apart in between batches to clean them or make sure your cleaning and sanitizing is absolutely impeccable.

Overall, their conical works as advertised. However the lid of the plastic 15 does not seal without an optional surround. When the ferment is going strong and producing moisture, little beads form on the top of the lid and either roll out over the edge and down the outside of the conical or they bead up and drop into the ferment when you open the lid. This is not good.

The 15 gallon minitun is also about what you expect but not better than using a cooler. The 1/2" ports really need to be 2" ports with a bushing to shrink them to 1/2" ports. This at least gives you options. Also, the MLT comes with a plastic screen. This screen sags under heat and pressure of the grain - which allows the lip to come up and grain to get sucked under the screen... so.... what is the point?

Overall, I would say... don't bother. Buy a 15 gallon Aluminum and use that for your HLT.

I've looked into the Mini Brew systems also. Overall, they look like fairly good systems. My only concern would be how scratch resistant are they and how well does it hold heat? I think either one of your choices will require you to insulate, but at least with the MiniMash, you can always recirculate and heat the mash as needed instead of worrying about constant temps.

The HighGravity website states it will raise temp of 15 gallons by 160F every hour.

I call BS on any figure they mention about the insulating properties of their MLT and HLT. The conicals seem to do better since they are made of a thicker plastic. I had to wrap my MLT in reflectix and I am thinking about adding another layer.

I have a minibrew MLT and I don't have the sagging problem you report. There's a plastic post in the middle to prevent that...does yours not have that? I too insulate mine with a plastic camp pad, but overall I'm happy with it. It was plug and play and worth it.

I'm considering getting the HLT as well.

I think that if you insulated their HLT it wouldn't be so bad. To me $200 seems high but there's always the plug-n-play aspect. Just keep in mind that you still need to install a heating element + wiring so this thing isn't totally turnkey. I figure that if you're already having to safely wire something up plus possibly using a controller you might as well build the HLT yourself and save a bunch of money.

Yes I am using this HLT or to be really precise would love to. My problem is that I cannot find a suitable element for the supplied hole. I am unable to get any NPT threaded elements to screw into the provided hole. I live in the UK which makes things even more complex

I did e-mail Camco who said they were NPT threads but they aren't:mad:

So if anyone of you uses this HLT and have found a reasonably priced element, please let me know. I know that High Gravity do sell one, but I think that is too powerful. I really want something less than 3Kw.

I do have the Minibrew mash Tun however and like it a lot.

So you're apying $200 for a palstic bucket? They don't even handle the electric portion?? Lame. Buy a cooler for $40 not a bucket for $200

Back