Any Black and Tan lovers here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyeBrewer

Reaction score
Recently while my wife and I were eating at a restaurant that had a microbrewery, we each tasted a brew. She had their delicious vanilla beer, and I tried the dark lager. Then the server told us about their Black and Tan which was a mixture of those two beers. Simply put that was the most delicious treat I have ever had to pleasure of tasting, we absolutely loved it!! Now for my question. I have been dabbling at home brewing and am still at a very novice level. (Kits only at this point.). So are there any recipes for making a Black and Tan? Or should these be made separate then combined upon consumption? Or is this all way over my head and I need to stick to simple stuff? I've been searching here and can't seem to dig up any info on Black and Tans. Thanks for any advice! Or a recipe would be nice as well!

I love a good black N tan. What you will find at most places that offer one is made with Guiness and bass. My favorite is made with Murphys and Harp.

Yep, any dark stout and a pale ale will do. Depending on your tastes. Pour the ale in the bottom and use a spoon to pour the stout on top of it. Love me a good B&T.

NivekD said:
Yep, any dark stout and a pale ale will do. Depending on your tastes. Pour the stout in the bottom and use a spoon to pour the ale on top of it. Love me a good B&T.

I thought the stout goes in the top.

Now I'm wondering if there is a difference. Maybe I am just used to Guinness having such a creamy head that it would be weird to not have it on the top.

I need a Black and Tan.

I thought the stout goes in the top.

Now I'm wondering if there is a difference. Maybe I am just used to Guinness having such a creamy head that it would be weird to not have it on the top.

I need a Black and Tan.

You are correct...fixed my post.

I just googled a bunch of recipes and they all say ale on the bottom and the stout on top!?

doesn't really matter, they both end up in the same place. Love black & tan, definitely mix two separate beers. If homebrewing specifically for this purpose I'd probably look for something like a Bass clone, or just make a very simple moderately hopped british pale.

I've been known to pour a few!

Black And Tan.jpg

You should definitely brew the beers separately, but you can combine them without worrying about the mixing. Ultimately, it goes the same place and mixes when you take a sip. In fact, some breweries have come out with "black and tan" beers that are simply combinations of two of their beers. Yuengling, for example, has a black and tan that is a combination of the "Premium Beer" and their Porter.

If you want a sweeter version of a mixed beverage, there is always the Stout/Cider combination. I have heard this referred to as different things, but it is an interesting combination.

rklinck said:
If you want a sweeter version of a mixed beverage, there is always the Stout/Cider combination. I have heard this referred to as different things, but it is an interesting combination.

My wife loves what we have heard referred to as a "snakebite." Hard cider and stout. To me, it's no Black and Tan, but it is good.

I get black and tans any time I'm at a bar that can't pour a proper Guinness (you'd be surprised how many that is).

Also try black and blue, the sea dog brewery here in Maine serves it with their stout and blueberry wheat.

Odd I was under the impression it was because Guiness had Nitrogen and the Harp was CO2 that caused the separation. So it just has to be stout and pale?

Odd I was under the impression it was because Guiness had Nitrogen and the Harp was CO2 that caused the separation. So it just has to be stout and pale?

It's the difference in gravity that stacks it.

Therefore most any dry stout will do. Though nitrogen does help because it's lighter than co2

My wife loves what we have heard referred to as a "snakebite." Hard cider and stout. To me, it's no Black and Tan, but it is good.

I have heard "snakebite" as referring to half cider and half lager (e.g., Harp). I have heard the stout/cider combination referred to as a Black Velvet, but that is not right either because a Black Velvet is stout and champagne. I tend to think all of these along with Black and Tans and Half 'N Halfs (Guiness and Harp). It all depends on my mood.

Ok so all my local liquor store had was the Guinness Draught Bottle. So I bought a six banger along with a sixer of Bass Pale ale. I tried the spoon method twice and they just mixed together.. Is this because I'm doing something wrong? Or is it that I need a different Guinness? Because I noticed the Guinness isn't nearly as foamy as I am used too when I order it from tap. Even though the Black and Tan was quite tasted still haha..

From what I understand, black and tans are not a good thing to order in Ireland. A moniker given to Brits in a contentious period in Irish history.

I'd love to hear Oh Craps view on black and tans.

From what I understand, black and tans are not a good thing to order in Ireland. A moniker given to Brits in a contentious period in Irish history.

I'd love to hear Oh Craps view on black and tans.

"The name "black and tan" had earlier been applied to dogs, such as the black and tan coon-hound. It was later used as a nickname for the Black and Tans paramilitary reserve during the Irish War of Independence." - Wiki

This is one of the coolest and tastiest examples of specific gravity. If you take 2 liquids with different specific gravities, the ones with the higher gravity is "heavier" and sinks to the bottom. So, you put a low gravity dry stout with a higher gravity ale and they separate. Despite the perception that stouts are "heavy", a dry irish stout is actually quite a light, low gravity beer.

Surprising strong little bugger. I'm perfecting my method so that I can pour a bunch of these for St Pattys Day!

According to OhCrap black and tans are ordered in the pubs but are called "specials" due to the history. Guinness and Smithicks

Latest posts

Back