Any Bacon Makers Here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good! How long did you smoke?

I am shooting for smoking mine on Sunday. Today is day #6 of a 9 day dry cure for me. I want to add some bourbon and some maple syrup to the mix without delaying the smoking day because that is forecasted to be the coldest day for me in FL with low of 53 degrees. Want to give them enough time to form pellicle as well

I was thinking about adding 1/4c to each bag (i have 6 bags with total skin-on-weight of nearly 20#) that I want to flavor probably one of maple and one of bourbon plus a touch of molasses, and maybe one bag adding bourbon syrup touch of molasses) early on the last day of the dry cure (Friday), take them out and rinse and pat dry early on Saturday and set to hang in a small fridge to dry them out all day, possible into Sunday, then start cold smoking on Sunday once the outdoor temps drop below 60 if I can stand to wait that long. If they are dry earlier in the day Saturday, I might begin smoking them overnight Saturday, with a low temp of 56.

thoughts (maybe I am overthinking)

TD

Smoked at 155 for 3hrs and then ramped the temp to 200 until 150 internal temp was reached. Took about another 45min

Looks good! How long did you smoke?

I am shooting for smoking mine on Sunday. Today is day #6 of a 9 day dry cure for me. I want to add some bourbon and some maple syrup to the mix without delaying the smoking day because that is forecasted to be the coldest day for me in FL with low of 53 degrees. Want to give them enough time to form pellicle as well

I was thinking about adding 1/4c to each bag (i have 6 bags with total skin-on-weight of nearly 20#) that I want to flavor probably one of maple and one of bourbon plus a touch of molasses, and maybe one bag adding bourbon syrup touch of molasses) early on the last day of the dry cure (Friday), take them out and rinse and pat dry early on Saturday and set to hang in a small fridge to dry them out all day, possible into Sunday, then start cold smoking on Sunday once the outdoor temps drop below 60 if I can stand to wait that long. If they are dry earlier in the day Saturday, I might begin smoking them overnight Saturday, with a low temp of 56.

thoughts (maybe I am overthinking)

TD

You need more than one day with the flavoring. I add it all during the cure. So add it now and let it go the rest of the time. Then rinse (I soak it overnight on cold water to get the salt a little lighter). Then dry got a day (overnight) so it's got a bit of a skin on it. Then smoke.

I think the drying is the most important so you get a good smoke rather than a steam. But no matter what it will be good!

You need more than one day with the flavoring. I add it all during the cure. So add it now and let it go the rest of the time. Then rinse (I soak it overnight on cold water to get the salt a little lighter). Then dry got a day (overnight) so it's got a bit of a skin on it. Then smoke.

I think the drying is the most important so you get a good smoke rather than a steam. But no matter what it will be good!

Thanks! SO I added the dry cure in thirds, with tonight being the last third portion of the total cure amount per piece. To one bag, I also added 1/4c bourbon and a 1/4tsp molasses. To another, 1/4c maple syrup, and to a third I added both of these (syrup & bourbon). Three other bags I left normal cure.
A tiny bag, less than 1/4 pound I added a generous splash of Honey Jack Daniels that got left at my house after a party once. Can't wait to try! I'm thinking Apple Crown Royal would also work very well in a bacon cure.

Pics to follow!

TD

Christmas Bacon for the neighbors!!!!

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

I leave the hide on mine. With dry rub it takes a little longer to cure in theory but under the 13 days it takes the nitrite to oxidize off so no big deal. It gives resistance to the cure bleeding off but not top side absorption. I also knife slice so the hide is a built in cutting board.

I leave the hide on mine. With dry rub it takes a little longer to cure in theory but under the 13 days it takes the nitrite to oxidize off so no big deal. It gives resistance to the cure bleeding off but not top side absorption. I also knife slice so the hide is a built in cutting board.

You do a 13 day cure as opposed to a 9 day cure? Also what is the difference between a true "dry cure" with bacon hanging in air vs a dry-rub cure in a ziplock or other container?
Care to post your method for us newbies?

TD

I usually plan my cure to smoke on my expected schedule which generally gives me maneuvering room on weekends, thus 12 to 13 days. 9 days may work fine. You need to evaluate your product to determine that. It isn't a constant.

I don't have a clear picture as to how you would hang a curing 25# slab. You can't use hangers or hooks do to oxidation blackening and ham bagging would roll the side up to a degree that wouldn't flatten out without pressure applied during warming. A dry cure is basically a non-injection cure. Some recommend draining fluids off daily, some say don't bother. End product counts.

I use 1 lb. salt mixed with 2 oz. professionally mixed cure containing sodium nitrite. Properly mixed, distributed and rubbed will do a side.

Last edited:
go to ruhlman.com and find his bacon recipe. It is a dry cure and I have used that recipe for years with great success. His book is called Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. If you want to understand charcuterie the safe and correct way read this book.........

I usually plan my cure to smoke on my expected schedule which generally gives me maneuvering room on weekends, thus 12 to 13 days. 9 days may work fine. You need to evaluate your product to determine that. It isn't a constant.

I don't have a clear picture as to how you would hang a curing 25# slab. You can't use hangers or hooks do to oxidation blackening and ham bagging would roll the side up to a degree that wouldn't flatten out without pressure applied during warming. A dry cure is basically a non-injection cure. Some recommend draining fluids off daily, some say don't bother. End product counts.

I use 1 lb. salt mixed with 2 oz. professionally mixed cure containing sodium nitrite. Properly mixed, distributed and rubbed will do a side.

Thanks! This was my second bacon cure and smoke session. Cane out well. This is what I used:http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/calculator/dry_cure_bacon/

seems to have worked great! I really like the flavor riffs with syrup, bourbon, and a combination.

I get what you are saying about the hanging cure. I guess I am still learning the lingo. My first bacon cure was a wet (brine) cure. This time I used the calculator link above. I divided the total cure mass into thirds and then applied in three separate doses to the non-skin side, overhauling once per day, draining the liquid on each third day when applying the next dose of cure mixture. It worked out quite well.

The hard part is slicing! Thats where all the work is! I have a cheapo <$100 slicer from amazon! When you get to the last 1" or so of the slab it becomes hard if not impossible to slice. Plus the travel on the slicer isn't enough to slice the full length of the slab without taking some risks.

TD

No need to slice up the ends. Use those in your baked beans or soups instead of salt pork. If you don't make baked beans then here is the opportunity to start.

I've used brown sugar, molasses, honey, maple syrup, dextrose, mix and match. My last side was just brown sugar and it is very good. The one before that was maple syrup/brown sugar. The next will be honey/brown sugar, I don't recall doing that before. I also did half a side as pastrami last winter. It was quite different and good.

Thanks.

I've heard from a friend about using fenugreek ( maybe the seeds? Need to clarify..) to lend a maple flavor without adding sweetness from the syrup. Basically a mixture of the two to flavor the cured meat before smoking and give it a maple flavor without oversweetening the meat.

Yeah I have the Rhulman book...

TD

Fenugreek has a pungent, slightly sulphurous scent, I associate it with curry. Not saying it won't work, spices have odd effects in small amounts sometimes - just surprised...and here's a short article on it!
https://scienceforlife365.wordpress.com/2013/10/21/making-maple-flavour/

Attached, my latest back bacon (juniper, black pepper, oregano and garlic, oak and apple wood smoke). Temperature has dropped enough that I'm can leave it outside in the smoker to even out and mellow, saves making everything in the fridge smell of smoke.

20160111_173139.jpg

I had about #19 pounds skin-on bellies. Didn't weigh it after the cure & smoke. Did 3 slabs regular bacon, 3 I added extra flavor: Maple Syrup, Bourbon, and combo of both. The tiny piece on the top of the rack I added JD Honey whisky. That makes a darn good flavoring to bacon I will tell you!

Do you apply the bourbon to the sides or self administer while smoking?

D@~n! I need to get some pork belly curing. You all made me realize we don't have any more home made bacon in this house.

+2 on the fenugreek being associated with curry - love it but I use it in curry seasoning and don't really see any kind of maple connection. That said, I'd love to hear how it works out for you.

In addition to the Ruhlman (traditional?), maple bourbon, I make an Asian inspired version too. Can't go wrong if it's bacon!

Do you apply the bourbon to the sides or self administer while smoking?

Self Administer! LOL!

I added the flavorings on day 6 of the dry cure about 1/4cup to the zip lock for each slab: Maple Syrup, Bourbon, blend of both

I suppose it is probably better to do after the last day of the cure, but I didn't see what the harm would be.

Bought some pork belly from local butcher.. All the places only had frozen, so got two ~5.5lb pieces. Currently defrosting in sink... Once theyre thawed, will rinse and pat dry. I have premade one "batch" of cure based on one of first posts here (1 # kosher salt, 1/2 # sugar, 2 oz pink salt all by weight)

I'll rub it very heavy on all surfaces, including the skin side. Cut up smaller as needed to put into 2 gallon zip lock bags, put into fridge. After about 4 days, I'll flip them. Another 4 days, flip them.

My question is now... I want to flavor them. Wife wants some maple variety. I want a super peppercorn and a spicy/sweet variety (I'm thinking honey w/ sriracha).

When Im a day out from being done with the cure, should I add in the flavoring? Mix around and let sit out rest of time in fridge?

Then I go into the soaking in water, followed up by fridge for pellicle for a day and then start the smoking process?

I believe thats the process I've read, but I always like to type it out myself and then have people read it over to make sure I'm not missing anything :)

Thanks everyone

Need more than one day to impart flavoring, especially maple from what I discovered. Maybe need a lot more maple as well. There is a way to make an artificial maple syrup flavor which will add flavor without over sweetening. You can probably buy imitation extract too I suspect.
Regardless, if you curing for nine days, I'd add the flavoring on the sixth day. Are you doing dry cure or wet/brine cure?

The homemade maple flavoring is made by simmering fenugreek seeds in water and then making a simple syrup after ward. I have a recipe I just got today from a friend, but have not tried it myself.

TD.

Bought some pork belly from local butcher.. All the places only had frozen, so got two ~5.5lb pieces. Currently defrosting in sink... Once theyre thawed, will rinse and pat dry. I have premade one "batch" of cure based on one of first posts here (1 # kosher salt, 1/2 # sugar, 2 oz pink salt all by weight)

I'll rub it very heavy on all surfaces, including the skin side. Cut up smaller as needed to put into 2 gallon zip lock bags, put into fridge. After about 4 days, I'll flip them. Another 4 days, flip them.

My question is now... I want to flavor them. Wife wants some maple variety. I want a super peppercorn and a spicy/sweet variety (I'm thinking honey w/ sriracha).

When Im a day out from being done with the cure, should I add in the flavoring? Mix around and let sit out rest of time in fridge?

Then I go into the soaking in water, followed up by fridge for pellicle for a day and then start the smoking process?

I believe thats the process I've read, but I always like to type it out myself and then have people read it over to make sure I'm not missing anything :)

Thanks everyone

1oz of pink cure #1 will cure 25lbs of meat. Don't add 2oz to 11lbs of belly!! That level will most likely be toxic

I rubbed the belly today with the mixture, taken from post #10 (link here

It didnt all go on, its about a 5 pound piece. If the ratio of the rub posted on the very first page of this thread is potentially toxic, why has no one said anything about it?

Before removing excess
i.php

After removing excess
20160120080939-498b43d9-me.jpg

Skin side .. just googled it, see I need to cut it off and reapply rub. Thought I had asked the question and was said to just leave it, but everything i've seen on google says to remove

20160120080942-0855f01b-me.jpg

I may have mis read your intentions. I thought you were planning on using the whole batch of mixture in one setting on the belly you have. After re-reading the mixture I now see that it's a large batch of cure mixture that will be used over time.
Sorry

Made me kind of nervous. I still have probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the original mixture left. Will have to add some fresh mixture in for the 2nd belly

No worries :) I would appreciate if someone saved my and my families life lol. Better safe than sorry

Made me kind of nervous. I still have probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the original mixture left. Will have to add some fresh mixture in for the 2nd belly

No worries :) I would appreciate if someone saved my and my families life lol. Better safe than sorry

Read up on pink cure if you're not familiar with it. It's good stuff when used right but too little or too much can be unsafe.
I follow Steven Raichlen's recipe from Barbecue Bible and it's awesome! Very tasty bacon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up! It's in my wish list now.

You will not regret it.

Next thing you know, you'll be buying a meat grinder, and building a smokehouse, a dry-cure chamber, a meat slicer, and sausage stuffer, a water activity meter, a pH meter with meat probe, and learning who sells pre-tubed casings, and being accused of being the new sausage king of Chicago.....

The bacon chapter is not my favorite, but it does cover the information, which is somewhat confusing because it discusses the USDA regulations for bacon. What is useful in conjunction with that information is the easy to follow online calculator, which I may have previously linked, but if not:
http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/calculator/dry_cure_bacon/

Enjoy!

TD

Thanks everyone

Add the maple early. You're going to lose some in the soaking. Add it at the beginning.

It didnt all go on, its about a 5 pound piece. If the ratio of the rub posted on the very first page of this thread is potentially toxic, why has no one said anything about it?

Before removing excess

Skin side .. just googled it, see I need to cut it off and reapply rub. Thought I had asked the question and was said to just leave it, but everything i've seen on google says to remove

20160120080942-0855f01b-me.jpg

I don't remove the hide, never have in 30 years. Just allow 10 to 12 days to cure. The cure will penetrate the hide side more slowly, it will also penetrate side thickness from the rib side anyway.

The mix I was going to use was 1lb kosher salt, 8 oz sugar, and 2 oz pink salt which would last me a few runs. Supposedly I'd need less than 1/3rd cup of that mix to cover my pork belly. Is that what you're saying is toxic? How much of a mix like that am I supposed to use?

I ended up using a curing calculator. I bought pork belly today from the butcher. According to everything I've read online, the pricing was definitely higher than expected at 7.99 a pound. I was determined to get it tonight so I bent over and paid.

Did a standard cure on both but thinking I'll throw some bourbon in one. I'm wondering if I did it right. The first belly I cut some of the thicker fat but not much. The other I left untouched. First one was 2041 grams so I used 5.09 g cure, 36 g salt and 20 g brown sugar. I use cure #1 with 6.25% nitrate.

Second one was smaller at 1769 grams and I used 4.42 g nitrate, 31 g salt, and 18 g sugar.

I rubbed it all and put it in zip loc bags. Questions:

Can I stack the two pork bellies while they cure?

Is it okay if some of the rub didn't make it on the belly? It just falls off after rubbing it in best I could.

Finally, how do I know if the cure didn't work. It was such a small amount of mix combined, I was pretty surprised.

Thanks.

I took off a little of that top right side.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453768619.224269.jpg

I'm sure you'll be fine other than the hit to the pocket book!! That's a rip off if you ask me. Sure hope they lubed it up prior to sticking it to you.
I paid $2.65 lb at Costco for my belly's.

I ended up using a curing calculator. I bought pork belly today from the butcher. According to everything I've read online, the pricing was definitely higher than expected at 7.99 a pound. I was determined to get it tonight so I bent over and paid.

Did a standard cure on both but thinking I'll throw some bourbon in one. I'm wondering if I did it right. The first belly I cut some of the thicker fat but not much. The other I left untouched. First one was 2041 grams so I used 5.09 g cure, 36 g salt and 20 g brown sugar. I use cure #1 with 6.25% nitrate.

Second one was smaller at 1769 grams and I used 4.42 g nitrate, 31 g salt, and 18 g sugar.

I rubbed it all and put it in zip loc bags. Questions:

Can I stack the two pork bellies while they cure?

Is it okay if some of the rub didn't make it on the belly? It just falls off after rubbing it in best I could.

Finally, how do I know if the cure didn't work. It was such a small amount of mix combined, I was pretty surprised.

Thanks.

I took off a little of that top right side.
View attachment 333017

It's fine to stack if they're in separate bags. If it's the same bag, be sure to overhaul it frequently and change positions of the pieces.

If you want bourbon, add it now. There seems to be a theme here lately about adding flavor at the end. Add. It. Now.

That is a lot to pay. Where was it? I think some stores are catching on that it's desirable now.

Back