Anvil cooling system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawnstve

Reaction score
Anyone use the anvil cooling system on either a carboy or their fermenter? I’m having a tough time regulating my temps, and looking for a better way. Where I live I don’t have room to stick an extra fridge somewhere in my apartment. Well I could but the wife would kick me out. If it works I might get one.

Have you looked into the coolstix I think it's called?

Scratch that , it's pretty much what your looking at .

Have you looked into the coolstix I think it's called?

Scratch that , it's pretty much what your looking at .
I hadn’t seen that. Yeah looks similar. Which do you think would be better? Lol!

also have you used the coolstix?

No I haven't sorry . The only thing I wonder is how effective it is cooling down the fermenter. Doesnt seem like much contact surface compared to a coil type .

All about what you want to pay really. I froze 2L soda bottles and wrapped them next to my fermenter with towels for a few years. Worked a lot better than you would think.

Mid-level cost is a cooler you fill with ice and pump through a cool stick or anvil.

Top of the line is glycol chilling systems that can run $600-1000.

I like a mini fridge because they are dirt cheap and small, but divorce lawyers cost more than the other options, so listen to SWMBO.

What kind of yeast is good to harvest? That will work for an Lager?

Perhaps you meant to post this in a different thread? Anyway, any yeast can be harvested from a fermenter, including lager yeasts.

Perhaps you meant to post this in a different thread... What do you mean with that I'm new to the system... Sorry about that...??

All about what you want to pay really. I froze 2L soda bottles and wrapped them next to my fermenter with towels for a few years. Worked a lot better than you would think.

Mid-level cost is a cooler you fill with ice and pump through a cool stick or anvil.

Top of the line is glycol chilling systems that can run $600-1000.

I like a mini fridge because they are dirt cheap and small, but divorce lawyers cost more than the other options, so listen to SWMBO.
But I would think it wouldn’t regulate right with just bottles no?, the temps would change depending on how fresh the bottles were? And to change out bottles every day for 3 weeks seems like a heck of a lot of work. Granted I’m sure changing out bottles or ice in the cooler used for this system would be a pain as well. But there is a regulator and it stops the flow when the temps are where you require. And I’ve got a yeti cooler so, I’m sure once the wort is cool (via ice bath or coil method) that a bag of ice would last a few days at least. Since the water won’t be circulating the entire time... but these are my questions. Hahah. This is my speculation on how the system works, just want to known if anyone had some experience?

mad for your dorm room fridge thing, please tell me more... lol

I made beer for years with mostly US05 and no temp control.

When I switched to bottles I was only trying to drop temp a few degrees with bottles during peak fermentation (couple days mostly). There was some fluctuation, but not that much. 5 gallons of liquid has a lot of thermal mass.

If that is all you need why spend more money?

The dorm fridge pictured is my kegerator, but was my fermentation chamber before I got second unit, and that was a big step up. Buy an inkbird temp controller and you're set.

Fridges and freezers are so dirt cheap that if you can get one that fits your fermenter it really is a good solution, and you can't beat the control for the money.

The anvil setup is neat, but I know if I bought one I would end up buying a glycol system eventually because . . . I don't know that is how this hobby works!

There are no wrong solutions here. Each has tradeoffs.

Hooray beer!

Attachments

• 20200430_083049.jpg
    20200430_083049.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
I made beer for years with mostly US05 and no temp control.

When I switched to bottles I was only trying to drop temp a few degrees with bottles during peak fermentation (couple days mostly). There was some fluctuation, but not that much. 5 gallons of liquid has a lot of thermal mass.

If that is all you need why spend more money?

The dorm fridge pictured is my kegerator, but was my fermentation chamber before I got second unit, and that was a big step up. Buy an inkbird temp controller and you're set.

Fridges and freezers are so dirt cheap that if you can get one that fits your fermenter it really is a good solution, and you can't beat the control for the money.

The anvil setup is neat, but I know if I bought one I would end up buying a glycol system eventually because . . . I don't know that is how this hobby works!

There are no wrong solutions here. Each has tradeoffs.

Hooray beer!
I live in a small apartment with two kids and a lovely wife. Would love a fridge but...... not sure I can swing that space. However let me ask, do you just place the fermenter in there? Like did you get a regulator to keep the right temps?

If I'm using a vigorous fermenting strain like S-04, which can be > 10 degrees above ambient the first 1-3 days, and I want to keep it in the low 60s, one cheap solution is to add water and Starsan to a plastic tub (like this: https://www.amazon.com/HOMZ-Plastic...=1&keywords=plastic+tub&qid=1588555298&sr=8-3) and then add your FV and water bottles filled with frozen water.

I would only do this for strains where I really want to keep the temperature below ~65F during 1-3 days of primary fermentation.

I get it; fridge is a serious footprint. Yeah, you put fermenter in the fridge, set it to max cooling and hook it into a temperature controller to hold it at the right temp.

I have Fermentrack controlling temperature, but that's a DIY solution. Most people are controlling fridges with something like this : https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-1200W-Temperature-Controller-Greenhouse/dp/B01HXM5UAC

Something very similar to that comes with the Anvil system.

What do you need your system to do? The anvil/coolstick solution does offer a lot of control if you just keep an eye on the cooler. What kind of temp are you trying to achieve/maintain? If ambient is 72 and you want to ferment at 68, you're golden with the anvil or coolstick and an igloo cooler. If you need to keep it at 50-55 for lagers it's probably going to be more work, but even then you only need to control temperature during the primary fermentation which is usually 3-4 days.

All just depends on what you need to be able to do.

Cheers!

If I'm using a vigorous fermenting strain like S-04, which can be > 10 degrees above ambient the first 1-3 days, and I want to keep it in the low 60s, one cheap solution is to add water and Starsan to a plastic tub (like this: https://www.amazon.com/HOMZ-Plastic...=1&keywords=plastic+tub&qid=1588555298&sr=8-3) and then add your FV and water bottles filled with frozen water.

I would only do this for strains where I really want to keep the temperature below ~65F during 1-3 days of primary fermentation.

I've heard of people doing this in their bathtub too. Just the thermal mass of the water will help regulate and dissipate heat. Another thing you can do is put it in a bucket of water with a t-shirt wrapped around it. T-shirt wicks up water and works like a swamp cooler.

Why the star-san?

I've heard of people doing this in their bathtub too. Just the thermal mass of the water will help regulate and dissipate heat. Another thing you can do is put it in a bucket of water with a t-shirt wrapped around it. T-shirt wicks up water and works like a swamp cooler.

Why the star-san?

just to keep anything unwanted from growing

I did that already, but without star San.... lol! Uh oh. Did I mess up? Lol

I get it; fridge is a serious footprint. Yeah, you put fermenter in the fridge, set it to max cooling and hook it into a temperature controller to hold it at the right temp.

I have Fermentrack controlling temperature, but that's a DIY solution. Most people are controlling fridges with something like this : https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-1200W-Temperature-Controller-Greenhouse/dp/B01HXM5UAC

Something very similar to that comes with the Anvil system.

What do you need your system to do? The anvil/coolstick solution does offer a lot of control if you just keep an eye on the cooler. What kind of temp are you trying to achieve/maintain? If ambient is 72 and you want to ferment at 68, you're golden with the anvil or coolstick and an igloo cooler. If you need to keep it at 50-55 for lagers it's probably going to be more work, but even then you only need to control temperature during the primary fermentation which is usually 3-4 days.

All just depends on what you need to be able to do.

Cheers!
Ok so I’m new to this whole thing. I’m working on my 1st beer now. Lol! Well I have one more week of fermentation. Been going 2 already. I’m only ale brewing for now. But I didn’t know, so only a few days to worry about temp? Then I can let it go back to my house temp of 74-75? I thought I had to keep that temp for 3 weeks. Lol!

The active part of fermentation where the yeast develops flavors, and lots of people make good beer with only ambient temp.

I can't guarantee how long any fermentation is going to last, but if you have a good healthy yeast pitch very few strains will take a full week or beyond.

Take a hydrometer reading to see where you are if you have one.

Perhaps you meant to post this in a different thread? Anyway, any yeast can be harvested from a fermenter, including lager yeasts.
What do you mean perhaps you meant to post this on a different thread...?Sorry I'm new to the system sorry about that...

I used to have to add frozen water bottles as well . I would add salt to help it last a bit longer . I have a jacket for the FF and it worked ok . I just got tired of changing bottles and then my wife didnt like all the frozen bottles in the freezer .

I finally got a CF5 , made my glycol chiller and it's been amazing. I do use my FF every once in a while . As a matter of fact I'll be using it tomorrow. I now run a hose from my portable ac into the FF jacket and it keeps the temp regulated decently.

Have anvil fermenter with cooling and also put warmer under the fermentor wrap. It does a great job. I put the fermentor on top of a cooler on wheels and fill with water/ice (use 5gallon bucket and make a 5gal giant ice cube in stand up freezer, sometimes need to refreeze but typically one is enough).

I did that already, but without star San.... lol! Uh oh. Did I mess up? Lol

No, you didn't mess up. Bacteria and wild yeast can't climb up the side of your fermenter and crawl through your airlock.

What do you mean perhaps you meant to post this on a different thread...?Sorry I'm new to the system sorry about that...

Are you familiar with how forums work? This thread (collection of related posts) is about fermentation temperature control. Your question seemed to be about yeast harvesting. I gave you a brief answer, but if you want more, you should probably start a new thread of your own. I'd recommend doing that in the "Fermentation and Yeast" sub-forum.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forums/fermentation-yeast.163/
There you will find a "Post Thread" button in the upper right corner of the window. Click that and start your new thread.

Are you familiar with how forums work? This thread (collection of related posts) is about fermentation temperature control. Your question seemed to be about yeast harvesting. I gave you a brief answer, but if you want more, you should probably start a new thread of your own. I'd recommend doing that in the "Fermentation and Yeast" sub-forum.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forums/fermentation-yeast.163/
There you will find a "Post Thread" button in the upper right corner of the window. Click that and start your new thread.
No I'm not familiar with how forums works.. I'm new to this site..

Anyone use the anvil cooling system on either a carboy or their fermenter? I’m having a tough time regulating my temps, and looking for a better way. Where I live I don’t have room to stick an extra fridge somewhere in my apartment. Well I could but the wife would kick me out. If it works I might get one.
I have a NE IPA at 68 degrees and have done some lagers at 60. Room is at 75. the pump is nice, controller works very well but the settings/buttons are kind of clunky. I throw a frozen bowl of water in $6 styrofoam cooler 2x a day for typical ales. theres about 1.5 gallons of water in there. you are only limited by your ability to maintain the bath of cooling water
If you have a nice yeti cooler or similar and throw in 30# ice you might be good togo for the whole fermentation

I have a small, 1-batch sized ferm chamber already set up but when I was looking for a cheap way to go about it the idea crossed my mind to set up a t-shirt swamp cooler and use a thermowell in the beer along with an inkbird to turn a small fan on and off to regulate temps with decent control. It would obviously only accommodate a relatively narrow ambient temp range, but it seems to me that setting it up in a spare inner room (no external walls) would be both easy and sustainable pretty much year-round. Heck, it could even be in a closet, and you could use a beer t-shirt to spruce it up when you have guests over! :p

FV1 is a 14 gallon Chapman with an anvil coil in it. It works quite well when it’s not too warm out there, but they work quite well in the anvil fermenters. I just installed the temp twister in the Chapman, it works much better.
C3043884-53D3-480A-8481-FB0AA8835AC1.jpeg

Thanks everyone, so wife wants an extra fridge anyway She said so it looks like I’m shopping on Craigslist for a mini fridge. Of course I said when I’m brewing beer I need all the food out of there because I need to regulate the temps to 60’s and she said well let me know ahead of time and I’ll use up all the food. 🙄. Oh I have a feeling my wife is just getting a new fridge and I’m not getting a fermentation fridge. Haha!!

A little late, but I got the Anvil Fermentation bucket with the cooling system and I love it. I live in South Florida so the AC is set around 74-75 and just changing the ice bottles 2 times a day fermentation has been staying at 66 degrees since Saturday without a problem. The highest it has gotten is 67.6 that I have seen and that's when I get home from work. Pretty cheap, so I bought a second set up to be able to rotate through beers faster.

A little late, but I got the Anvil Fermentation bucket with the cooling system and I love it. I live in South Florida so the AC is set around 74-75 and just changing the ice bottles 2 times a day fermentation has been staying at 66 degrees since Saturday without a problem. The highest it has gotten is 67.6 that I have seen and that's when I get home from work. Pretty cheap, so I bought a second set up to be able to rotate through beers faster.
Ok, yeah I’m in Texas, it’s warm here. Are you using a good cooler? Like a yeti? Or like Coleman? Just wondering about time differences between the different coolers.

Ok, yeah I’m in Texas, it’s warm here. Are you using a good cooler? Like a yeti? Or like Coleman? Just wondering about time differences between the different coolers.
I am just using a small I think 16-quart playmate cooler. It was like $15-20 I think at Home Depot. I am going to drill through the lid at some point, but just haven't done it yet.

Oh cool! I was thinking of getting the anvil full system for brewing. I wanna get the 6.5 and the 4, to make 2.5-3 gallon batches. I can’t keep up with the beer drinking of a 5 gallon batch. Haha! I drink at most one beer a night. If that. Maybe 2-3 a week. Just would take forever to get through 5 gallons of beer. So I think the 2.5 gallon batches will be perfect. Allow me to experiment more often with new batches. I’m currently doing simple 1 gallon setups. But I figure it wouldn’t be too bad to switch (given the initial cost of buying the system).
Would you say I could do a primary ferment in the anvil system for a week, then stick it in a 3 gallon carboy with no temp control for the following 2 weeks? Then I would have the fermenter ready for a new Batch every week?

That sounds like a good way to go. My only concern would be the additional transfer into another carboy. I would get two separate carboys/buckets and move the cooling system. Better yet buy another cooling loop, so you don't have to move that either and expose to oxygen, although that might be overkill. You can get an insulated jacket for carboys as well if you don't want to buy another bucket.

It all just depends on what you want., and it sounds like you're getting a plan together.

Happy brewing!

That sounds like a good way to go. My only concern would be the additional transfer into another carboy. I would get two separate carboys/buckets and move the cooling system. Better yet buy another cooling loop, so you don't have to move that either and expose to oxygen, although that might be overkill. You can get an insulated jacket for carboys as well if you don't want to buy another bucket.

It all just depends on what you want., and it sounds like you're getting a plan together.

Happy brewing!
But I hear of people moving from one carboy to another for 2ndary fermentation... I’m not talking about 3 moves, I’m talking about primary fermentation in the anvil system, then once it’s done lots of it’s thing (1-2 weeks) move it to the carboy for the final rest. If I have to wait 2 weeks to move it to the 2ndary then fine. I don’t need 2.5 gallons of beer every 2 weeks. Haha’. I’m about 4-5 beers per week kinda guy. Maybe with my own home brew I’d be more of a 5-6 beers a week kinda guy. I can wait 2 weeks. Heck if I should I’ll wait 3.... figured though I could start on a different style quicker that way. 1-2 weeks in anvil as primary, then transfer to a carboy for 2ndary... maybe another 2-3 weeks just to get a nice aged beer and then bottle?
My main thing was the temp control. From what it sounds like I don’t need to Keep temp up after a week? Basically after it stops bubbling? My brew I just did, bubbled for 3 day’s and then stopped. It’s still sitting there with the wet t shirt over it waiting to bottle 2.5 weeks later. Plan on bottling this weekend.

Common wisdom at this point is to allow the yeast to finish in the same vessel. Very few people are transferring for secondary fermentation because of the added risk of infection and oxygen exposure. When I started almost everyone transferred to a secondary (I did for years), but the benefits don't outweigh the risks and effort it requires to move the beer.

It would work, and you'd make good beer. None of this stuff makes or breaks anything, but when you're getting started it makes sense to aim for best practices.

Cheers!

Back