Anvil Brewing Pump - use for multiple purposes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merds

Reaction score
I'm looking to add to my setup for doing small batch BIAB (5 gallons). I was looking at the Anvil Brewing Pump ( Anvil Brewing Pump (socohomebrew.com) ) and was wondering if it would work for doing several things -
  • Wort chiller: have a 7 gallon Rubbermaid cooler with valve that I was thinking using for ice water to chill wort with immersion chiller set up higher for priming pump
  • Wort circulation
  • Wort transfer from primary to secondary, secondary to bottling bucket - have valves on those buckets as well, so would be able to do gravity priming.
It seems like it would work for all these things. But I read somewhere once upon a time that wort pumps wouldn't be good for transferring from primary to secondary, etc. But wasn't sure if true or anything since didn't look into it deep at the time.

Thanks for the help!

You can use the Anvil pump for just about anything on the hot side, but I would never use a pump for transferring beer (it's not wort once yeast are pitched). The pump spinning and the introduction of air into tubing will oxidize the beer. Also as a secondary concern, sanitizing the pump and tubing would be a pain.

You can use the Anvil pump for just about anything on the hot side, but I would never use a pump for transferring beer (it's not wort once yeast are pitched). The pump spinning and the introduction of air into tubing will oxidize the beer. Also as a secondary concern, sanitizing the pump and tubing would be a pain.
Thanks - that's what I was thinking/worried about - oxidizing the beer. Appreciate the feedback. Cheers!

Also, I don’t think that pump is rated for high temperatures. I mean boiling like temps.

Latest posts

Back