Another Water Report Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novacor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got my report back from Ward Labs and started doing some research about water chemistry. Feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment. Can anybody take a look at this and let me know if this is a good starting point, or if anything stands out as unusual that could result in frustration down the road?

Screenshot_20210406-201241_Drive.jpg

Very low alkalinity which is great for brewing pale beers. Not too hard either so it'd be solid for lagers. Low calcium, very low sulfate, and fairly low chloride, so easy to build up from too. Looks like very good water to brew with imo.

This water provides a nice starting point. I would consider brewing with it as is for awhile.

As already noted, that water is pretty good to build from.

Since you're at the discovery stage, I'd recommend reading the water knowledge page at the Bru'n Water site and the Intro to Brewing Water Treatment presentation from this library:
http://sonsofalchemy.org/library/

Just a reminder, Ward Labs reports Sulfate as SO4-S which is is the amount of sulfur in sulfate, you need to multiply it by 3 for any brewing water software to get the true sulfate number, so in your case, your sulfate is 15 not 5.

Just a reminder, Ward Labs reports Sulfate as SO4-S which is is the amount of sulfur in sulfate, you need to multiply it by 3 for any brewing water software to get the true sulfate number, so in your case, your sulfate is 15 not 5.

And likewise NO3-N must be multiplied by ~4.4 whereby to reflect the actual ppm of NO3.

Back