Another sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookem15

Reaction score
I was at my local walmart yesterday and was looking at powdered cane sugar and noticed the size of the bag (25#) for like 15 dollars. My question is could this be used instead of corn sugar? Yes I attempted searching and realize that I am going to get flamed but I could only find people talking about priming with cane sugar. I want to know can you brew with powdered cane sugar?

Thanks for any help.

powdered sugar contains additives to keep it from caking up. I would read the ingredients. I suspect you may find crap in there you don't want.

Regular table sugar works just fine for priming. Powdered sugar has corn starch and other ingredients, like Malintent said. Table sugar is the way to go and no, it doe NOT cause detectable off flavors for this use, so RHAHB and use good old C&H.

Sugar is sugar. It's the other stuff that may be in the "product" you want to avoid.

Just get normal cane sugar.

Personally, I prime with light DME. Just another sugar.

I know with regular confectioners sugar, there is a bit of corn starch added. From what I have read the corn starch would just make your beer a bit hazy but you wouldn't have a good way of knowing how much sugar to use because the cornstarch would throw your measurements off. If this is the case, do not use it.

That being said, if it is 100 sugar it will do the same thing as regular but make sure that you measure by weight and not volume. (as always)

I've used dextrose & table (beet) sugar with great results,even combining the 2. I'm going to prime with demerara sugar this time (raw cane sugar). It has that light brown sugar taste laced with a good amount of honey flavor as well! Gunna try brewing with some,mixed with some DME & maltodextrin.

Slightly OT: If you want real "powdered" sugar without all the crap in it, you can toss table sugar in a high-powered blender or food processor and whizz the heck out of it.

JetSmooth said:
Slightly OT: If you want real "powdered" sugar without all the crap in it, you can toss table sugar in a high-powered blender or food processor and whizz the heck out of it.

Not to be an ass here, but technically the product you get from blending table sugar is called "super fine" sugar. Powdered sugar or confectioner's sugar is superfine sugar with corn starch added to help thicken any sauce it goes into.

Not to be an ass here, but technically the product you get from blending table sugar is called "super fine" sugar. Powdered sugar or confectioner's sugar is superfine sugar with corn starch added to help thicken any sauce it goes into.

You ass. :p

Yeah, that's technically right. I guess I should have said, "If you want powdered sugar without the added stuff, make super fine sugar."

Back