another ssvr question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc922

Reaction score
I attached a crude wiring diagram for how i wired the controller. It is the 25 amp ssvr with pot from Aubriens. I went the pure 240v route with a 30 amp dpst switch. The multimeter says i got 240v coming into the switch and leaving the switch. The red wire has voltage all the way to the outlet. Black has voltage only on one side of the ssvr? Did i wire wrong? Or have a bad ssvr, which is brand new?

View attachment Drawing 1.pdf

Looks perfect to me. There's not much to screw up there. SSRs don't show much unless they have a load, as I understand it.

thanks for the replies. Thought I had it correct. I'm gonna contact Aubriens, maybe i got a bad ssr?

Did you test with the element plugged into the controller? The SSVR won't switch correctly without a load attached. Make sure the element is in water when testing, otherwise you will likely fry it.

Brew on :mug:

Why do you think it's bad? Like I said, you're not going to see voltage until there's a load on it (i.e. amperage going to an element). It's also difficult to measure when there IS a load on it because it's usually switching so fast (not sure what the frequency of yours is, my Fotek is very high which is why I went to a proper PID when I rebuilt my setup). An ammeter would be more useful but you still need a resistor like an element or a 240v indicator lamp or something. Do you have a kettle you can connect it to and just try to heat some water? Or are you in the middle of a build?

Also make sure you have your potentiometer connected correctly.

Im in the middle of the build. I attempted to heat water in the kettle and got nothing. My multimeter is a cheap pos. Think i need an ammeter as a guage. And just try again i guess cause im lost.

Well this is something to take note of... a possible defective ssr (ssvr) that NOT a fotek! At least you can have a replacement in hand quickly since you ordered from a local supplier.

When looking at your diagram it makes me wonder if your sure you have the POT wired up correctly? Also im sure its just the way the diagram was drawn but the orientation of the ssvr show you have the wiring wrong... The 240v connections should be at one end and the control connections at the other not running along the long side of the ssvr.

thanks for everyones help. It was a bad ssr. Contacted aubriens and wired to a light bulb per a diagram they supplied. Bulb didnt light. Sure did learn alot tho.

thanks for everyones help. It was a bad ssr. Contacted aubriens and wired to a light bulb per a diagram they supplied. Bulb didnt light. Sure did learn alot tho.

Good to note,
I'm not sure who makes the ssvr units for aubrins it does not appear to be the same supplier as their ssr units (mager). I have to say Aubrins I noticed, seems to be improving their prices... I guess I will have to stop picking on them now... :)

Back