Another spigot thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froyd

Reaction score
I use a stainless steel bucket fermenter with a ball valve that can be used for gravity samples and transfers. During a fermentation cycle, the spigot might be opened and closed 2-3 times: once or twice for gravity readings to confirm I reached FG, and then once again for close transfer to the serving keg.

Every time I use the spigot I spray the heck out of it with StarSan, including spraying straight up the inside of the spigot. I do this before taking opening the spigot and then again immediately after before the beer has a chance to dry up inside the spigot.

Is this the best way to try to keep the spigot sanitary when taking multiple samples? Of course, I could also just dedicate the spigot either for gravity readings OR for transfers, but I really like the ability of doing both. When i had a cheap plastic spigot that was my approach because I was not sure it was as sanitary as my metal spigot.

So far I have not had any contamination, but I'm always looking for ways to improve my process and the spigot use is something that always leaves me a little uneasy.

Back