Another screw up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger_andy

Reaction score
Yeh, I screwed up again. :D

I made a Norwegian Christmas been in a rush a few weeks ago as I was told I had to travel over sea's the same day and I was in the middle of brewing.

To cut a long story short I got my volumes wrong and I ended up with an extra 16ltrs of Wart when I should ave made a 50ltr batch.

My OG should have been 1.079 and I ended up at 1.056. I pitched the yeast and left in a very bad mood. Doing some research I found I could make up the OG to where it should have been by adding some DME. So I bought some Dark DME and had my wife draw some Wort from the 50ltr fermenter and boil it up with the DME. According to Beer Smith I needed 2kg of DME to raise the OG to the correct lever so we did this. Boiled, cooled and gently stirred in.

The extra wort (16 ltrs) I put in a separate Fermenter and pitched as usual and never messed with it further.

Taking samples three days ago we noted the 50ltr batch had come down to 1.020 wich was good and it was a bit bitter (her words) and very malty. Today she took another reading and its down to 1.018, where it should be and is still very malty but less bitter. She said it reminded her of Marmite. :O

Annoyingly the 16ltr batch smells and tastes amazing! :/

Is there any suggestions what to do with the 50ltr batch?

Will the overly maltyness mellow over time? The Beer is supposed to bottle condition for 3-6 months anyway.

Lastly, I made a starter, its not needed now. How long will it keep and whats the best way to store it?

Many thanks

Andy

Just like last time, don't mess with it. Just ride it out. After all that time conditioning, it should balance out pretty well.
Also your wife seems to be very good to you!

Ok, I realize that now. I had already done it before I asked the questions on the other thread. :( Thought through the research I was doing the right thing but I guess making up that huge a difference in points was silly.

Yeh, my Wife is really good to me. :) She studied Chemistry at University and works as a Lab Tech so this kind of stuff is right up her street. I thin she's getting more and more into in too so thats great. :) She also drank a full keg of my rather potent yet beautiful IPA before I came home. So she needs to make it up to me. I know it sounds contrary but normally my Beers have all come out (in my mind) amazing. She now prefers them to Wine which she used to drink a fair bit of. :ban:

Just like last time, don't mess with it. Just ride it out. After all that time conditioning, it should balance out pretty well.
Also your wife seems to be very good to you!

Blindly adding DME (especially dark DME) to fix a beer post pitching will rarely get you the results you want IMO.

As for the starter what container is it in? If its decanted and sealed in an airtight santized contianer you could keep it for months and re-pitch into a new starter down the road

there are no screw ups..... just beer that you didn't plan on making. Some of my best I had no intention of making. usually these beers are accompanied by drinking on brew day.

Yes, I now realise adding DME was a stupid idea but I dont think it was done blindly? I followed the calculations on BeerSmith. The reason I used Dark DME is Im making a dark Ale. Again, a mistake I now know.

Thanks for the tip on the Yeast. :) I'll do that.

Curently its still in the Conical with some wort covering it and sanitised foil over the top of the Conical. I'll be making the same Ale when I get home in 4 weeks time so if it lasts that long then Im happy. :)

Blindly adding DME (especially dark DME) to fix a beer post pitching will rarely get you the results you want IMO.

As for the starter what container is it in? If its decanted and sealed in an airtight santized contianer you could keep it for months and re-pitch into a new starter down the road

Back