Another reason hops direct is the best

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joutlaw

Reaction score
So I order one pound of the following and look how much they give me... I measured each bag with my digital scales -

Chinook Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 5.71 - they send me 1lb 9 oz
Fuggle Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 7.59 - they send me 1lb 12oz
Magnum Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 7.44 - they send me 1lb 8 1/2oz
Northern Brewer Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 6.91 - they send me 1lb 8 3/4oz
Czech Saaz Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 9.28 - they send me 1lb 9 3/8oz
Willamette Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 6.86 - they send me 1lb 4oz
Perle (GR) Leaf Hops 1 lb $ 10.25 - they send me 1lb 8oz
Target (UK) Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 8.23 - they send me 1lb 5 3/8oz
Golding Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 9.69 - they send me 1lb 9 oz
Tettnanger (GR) Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 8.18 - they send me 1lb 5 1/8 oz

It added up to right around 15lbs of hops, with shipping was $94 or so. SWMBO was like you better not order anymore for a while. I told her do you think I'll need to do, it will take at least a year to use all of this. Thank goodness for the vacuum sealer.

They also sent some soap samples and hopdirect.com letter opener... how nice...

Now the only problem is finding enough room in the deep freeze.... Thats the main reason I went with pellets, except for the Perle. Look at that pillow. :D

Here's some pics:

dscf11176mt.jpg

dscf11184zb.jpg

dscf11197mb.jpg

Wow! That's really great! What's the quality like on the whole hops?

I just got one of those meal sealer thingies since I use only whole hops and buy in bulk. It sure does make them more compact, and I imagine they store a lot better too. Plus it's fun ;)

Sounds like these guys are worth it for the overfills if the quality is good. Have fun with all those hops!

Cheers :D

Janx said:
Wow! That's really great! What's the quality like on the whole hops?

I just got one of those meal sealer thingies since I use only whole hops and buy in bulk. It sure does make them more compact, and I imagine they store a lot better too. Plus it's fun ;)

Sounds like these guys are worth it for the overfills if the quality is good. Have fun with all those hops!

I like the whole hops, but I was especting whole nuggets, much like you could get in Humboldt :D, but in the other family of hops if you catch my drift.

The whole hops appeared to be de-stemmed. They vacuum sealed well and I shrunk them down to about 1/4lb each on my last order. It seems though they take up as much room as 1 lb of pellets. I didn't notice any difference in flavor in my beer on identical recipes as well.

I got the leaf Perle's for dry hopping mostly. I have one recipe where I had to have 5 oz of EK Goldings by the end, and in leaf form it was just about too much for my grain bag.

joutlaw said:
I like the whole hops, but I was especting whole nuggets, much like you could get in Humboldt :D, but in the other family of hops if you catch my drift.

I'm afraid you can't mail order those ;)

Humboldt Hops...be careful putting those in beer...

RichBrewer said:
I just ordered 3 pounds of whole hops from them. Now I can't wait for the order to arrive!

I'd expect close to 5 lbs in hops total.. I ordered 3lbs my first time, and I believe they sent 2lbs of Cascades alone, when I ordered 1. Around 1 1/4lb of Hersbrucker pellets and 1lb 8oz's or so of EK Golding whole leafs.

Shipping weight was 6lbs on that order I believe.

They are the best IMHO. I live in MS, and it usually takes a week to get here, but thats fine given it's going UPS ground across the country. They are fair on shipping and have great business ethics from what I can tell.

Dude said:
I can't wait to hear your review on the soap!! :rockin:

The names are pretty funny, but people would think I'm nuts at work... corporate type place:

Lavender and Hops
Chill Out
Bay Rum

I'll probably use them this weekend when I'm away from the "suits". :p

Walker said:
that makes me want to open everything, strip naked, and roll around in hops.
I just ordered 8 lbs of hops from hopsdirect.com to be split with a couple other members of this board.

Sorry, BeeGee and BOSTONBREWIN'... I AM going to roll around naked in them before bringing you your share of the order. :D

-walker

I received my order from Hops Direct today.
I ordered a pound each of Cascade, Northern Brewer, and E C Goldings. All whole hops.
The Cascade came in at 25 ounces
Northern Brewer at 32 ounces!
E C Goldings at 38 ounces!
Almost 6 pounds of hops! Thinking about this it can't be correct. I'm going to find a more accurate way to measure them. Man! It is a lot of hops though! I figure I will have enough for over 30 brews!
Guess I better learn to love these 3 varieties.

Walker said:
I just ordered 8 lbs of hops from hopsdirect.com to be split with a couple other members of this board.

Sorry, BeeGee and BOSTONBREWIN'... I AM going to roll around naked in them before bringing you your share of the order. :D

-walker

You'd better wear a big-ass shower cap 'cause if you get Afro-Sheen on my hops I'm gonna whoop your butt. :D
Jeff

I haven't actually opened or weighed anything yet, but I am SURE I got more than I paid for. My 8 lb order looks like this:

Two of these boxes arrived today (12 oz bottle shown for scale).
1917-hops_box.jpg

Each contained four of these:

1917-hops_brickW.jpg

1917-hops_brickD.jpg

Dinner is served! (bottle highlighted since it is easy to overlook)
1917-hops_spread.jpg

If you want to know how awesome Hops Direct is, email them or call them, ask a question, or just chat with them, they are great people and bring a great product to all homebrewers.

BeeGee said:
I haven't even watched the news yet! It's almost time for a brewsnack.
Time for a RANT!

What is this central time crapola! :mad: Everyone else in the world gets to stay up an hour later than us. :mad: I have to watch Letterman at 10:30...you suckers get to wait until almost tomorrow...what do you think we are...a bunch of dad gum farmers? :mad::mad:

I thought central time was one of the best things about living in TX? :confused: I used to love watching Letterman and still being asleep at midnight. Pretty cool for Monday Night Football, too! Now PST...that would suck for live events (to me). I can't imagine football being on before noon...seems...wrong.

BeeGee said:
I thought central time was one of the best things about living in TX? :confused: I used to love watching Letterman and still being asleep at midnight. Pretty cool for Monday Night Football, too! Now PST...that would suck for live events (to me). I can't imagine football being on before noon...seems...wrong.

I kind of liked football season when I lived in CA.

I'm always awake before 7am anyway, so having a football game start at 10am was fine with me.

When it REALLY worked well was Monday Night Football. I could watch the whole game and still have plenty of time to do some stuff before going to bed.

-walker

Latest posts

Back