Another question about fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titletowngirl

Reaction score
Am planning on just using primary bucket and not racking it to a secondary. I've brewed 5 batches and have racked them all so this is new to me. Any advice would be so helpful. How long should I keep it in there before bottling? Do I need to add Irish moss to clarify it?

I'm using a 6.5 gal bucket with spigot. I have two now. My first batch was a Coopers draught with ldme and md. I pulled out way too soon at 12 or 13 days. Way too much yeast remaining.

Second batch at just about 3 weeks. 3.5-4 weeks would have been perfect. that was a Coopers lager with muttons/palm sugar/brown sugar. It's been in a keg for a week now. I'm not seeing any large amounts of yeast coming out on first pulls, but it's just a little bit hazy.

You might just have to go by feel. I pour an oz almost daily after the first week, to see how it's coming along. no worries about contamination so far.

If I'm not mistaken Irish Moss should be added with 15 min left in your boil. As for keeping it in primary, each different style will probably need to be kept for different times. As long as your hydrometer is showing a stable reading for 3 consecutive days you should be fine to bottle. Just rack on top of the priming sugar into the bottling bucket and go to town. For me I have left brews for 3 and 4 weeks in primary only and have had no problems. Good luck.

Cheers:mug:

The idea behind not using a secondary is quite simple. Do exactly what you would have done with a secondary, just leave out the step of racking to secondary. You don't have to change anything else in your process.

What do you guys recommend? Primary vs. secondary? I know there are a million ways to skin a cat but I really don't want another failed batch.

I used a secondary for years and had great results. Last year I bought a conical and no longer use a secondary - and still get great results.

im sticking to primary, likely for a good 6 months minimum. might even switch to conical rather than secondaries. patience is key.

any idea why or how they are failing?

I tried the primary only fermentation a month ago. It seems okay until I racked a ton of yeast into keg. My beer went from tasting great to very bready. I'm still trying to push the yeast taste out if my beer. It was kinda my fault though.

I will always use a secondary from now on though.

I tried the primary only fermentation a month ago. It seems okay until I racked a ton of yeast into keg. My beer went from tasting great to very bready. I'm still trying to push the yeast taste out if my beer. It was kinda my fault though.

I will always use a secondary from now on though.

Sounds like my first batch from a primary. It only got good at about half way empty a keg, and still with a good sized yeast cake at the bottom. I kegged it way too soon. That's clearly evident from the patience and success with my second batch, which is very tasty! :)

The above poster, Cullen, said it right.

I do tilt my fermenter by about 5 degrees however. Just to keep the cake a bit more distant from the spigot. And I use the smallest hose I could fit on to my 3/8" spigot. Just a nice slow and steady pour in to the keg

the idea behind not using a secondary is quite simple. Do exactly what you would have done with a secondary, just leave out the step of racking to secondary. You don't have to change anything else in your process.

this.

Latest posts

Back