Another Oregon Brewer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonBrews

Reaction score
Hi all. My name is Brandon, I'm from the Willamette Valley and am a new brewer and a new HBT member. I have only done a couple batches but am surely addicted to brewing. Just put Honey Orange Wheat in the fermenter yesterday. It is my first time using liquid yeast (Wyeast American wheat 1010) and also first with a blow off. This morning I found I had too much water in the container my blow off tube terminates into and it would build pressure then escape between the carboy neck and blow off tube. But that has been remedied. I hope to make a decent bread from the spent grains today too. I am looking forward to learning a lot from all of you more experienced brewers.
Slante,
Brandon

Where in the Valley are you? I'm just over in Lebanon. I've done 8-9 batches overall, but just did my first batch in over 4 years, a maple wheat ale, that went into the secondary today.

@Mcoatney I am in Eugene. That Maple wheat has got me interested. Can you tell me more?
@ Brandonhagen, a man after my own heart Oregon and beer and especially Oregon beer. Apparently we aren't the only ones.:D

The maple wheat recipe came from the Clone Brews book pg 137. Supposed to ferment out to something like 8.5% ABV. We'll see how it turns out.

Nice. Not very sessionable but cool. I should get that book. I keep hearing about interesting beers from that book.

My Brown ale which turned out real good but I didn't really like it until about 3 weeks in the bottle.

3774-brown-ale-april-3rd.jpg

Nice! Hopefully mine ages well. I tried it today when I was taking a gravity reading and didn't like it much. Maybe 3-weeks in the secondary and a few more in the keg will help it out.

My wonderful wife made the spent grain bread today. It is killer. I suggest you try it if you haven't already.

3786-honey-orange-wheat-spent-grain-bread.jpg

Oh drat another oregon brewer.............just when I thought I had sampled all the best homebrew.

Yet another Oregon brewer here! I'm Jason in Hillsboro.
Doing my very first batch EVER in a couple hours. I figured I've read enough and bugged enough of the locals that it's finally time to pull the trigger.
My first beer will be a brown ale also like Brandon's.
It's the Oak Butt Brown Ale from the book "How to Brew". FUN!

My Brown ale which turned out real good but I didn't really like it until about 3 weeks in the bottle.

3774-brown-ale-april-3rd.jpg

Welcome to the new OR brewers on HBT.

Where did you get that glass? Very cool.

edit - Never mind the glass - Google is wonderful

Here's the bread recipe:

Make sure all ingredients are room temperature first.

1 tablespoon instant yeast
1.5 cup warm (100F) water
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 cups wet spent grain
3-5 cups flour

Dissolve sugar in warm water. Add yeast- allow it to bloom. Pour yeast/sugar water into large bowl. Add spent grain, mix well. Add and knead flour until dough is no longer sticky. Let rise until doubled. Punch down. Divide and place in two greased bread loaf pans. Let rise again. Bake 375F 30-40 minutes.

The one in the picture, my wife didn't divide the dough and baked it as one big round loaf on the pizza stone. It's flatter so it has more of a crunchy crust than the traditional loaf which has a softer middle.

Good luck on your first brew Jason. It's so much fun, you'll really enjoy it. Just remember to relax and don't worry.:D
Yet another Oregon brewer here! I'm Jason in Hillsboro.
Doing my very first batch EVER in a couple hours. I figured I've read enough and bugged enough of the locals that it's finally time to pull the trigger.
My first beer will be a brown ale also like Brandon's.
It's the Oak Butt Brown Ale from the book "How to Brew". FUN!

I really like Sixteen Tons. When you buy a pint they fill it past the 16 ounce mark and the glasses sell for only $3.
Welcome to the new OR brewers on HBT.

Where did you get that glass? Very cool.

edit - Never mind the glass - Google is wonderful

Here's the bread recipe:

Make sure all ingredients are room temperature first.

1 tablespoon instant yeast
1.5 cup warm (100F) water
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 cups wet spent grain
3-5 cups flour

Dissolve sugar in warm water. Add yeast- allow it to bloom. Pour yeast/sugar water into large bowl. Add spent grain, mix well. Add and knead flour until dough is no longer sticky. Let rise until doubled. Punch down. Divide and place in two greased bread loaf pans. Let rise again. Bake 375F 30-40 minutes.

The one in the picture, my wife didn't divide the dough and baked it as one big round loaf on the pizza stone. It's flatter so it has more of a crunchy crust than the traditional loaf which has a softer middle.

Ok so our first beer ever is in the primary and as I'm dumping the grains on the compost pile my wife asks if we could've used the grain for anything else. Ummmmm, yeah it looks like we can make a bread! Great timing, I shoulda read this about an hour earlier. Next batch we will save the grain and try this recipe. Very Oregonian.... very green!

I set up a beer fridge in the garage yesterday. I had to take the man door off the garage and the doors off the fridge to get it in place but it's there. I previously wired a Ranco Digital temp controller and set it at 55°F. I plugged it in and was at 55° within like 1/2 hour so I am "cellaring" three bottles of brown ale. That Ranco is cool. I definitely recommend it. I am excited to brew some lagers now that I have the ability to do so. I ordered a couple of Corny kegs too so it is of course going to be a 2 faucet Kegerator before too long. I need another fridge.:D

That sounds like fun. I've just checked out the website and think I will drop in on the June meeting, can't do today.

Yes, another Orygun brewer! Living large out by the Dexter Lake Club (Animal House?) so great beer is in my future! Acutally I'm experiencing a Home Brew "rebirth". Did a lot of extract brewing 15yrs ago and between job and other hobbies put it all away. Now retired I am ready to step it up :ban:

I am really interested in doing the all grain route. Bought some new books; still have Joy of Homebrewing 1st ed.! I am sure with all the local talent availible I should be rockin' in no time! :mug:

Bob

Yes, another Orygun brewer! Living large out by the Dexter Lake Club (Animal House?) so great beer is in my future! Acutally I'm experiencing a Home Brew "rebirth". Did a lot of extract brewing 15yrs ago and between job and other hobbies put it all away. Now retired I am ready to step it up :ban:

I am really interested in doing the all grain route. Bought some new books; still have Joy of Homebrewing 1st ed.! I am sure with all the local talent availible I should be rockin' in no time! :mug:

Bob

Bob, check out my website for the "Cheap'n'Easy" approach to all grain brewing.

www.dennybrew.com

BTW, back in the 70s and 80s my bands used to play at the Dexter Lake Club!

Thanks for the link to your site Denny. I'm kind of a "gearhead" so your information fits right in! I've been scouting coolers at the thrift stores around Eugene. :fro:

Bob

Since this seems to be a Oregon love fest I figured I better chime in...

I'm just North of the Columbia so not an official Oregon guy (but I work in Oregon!).

My new thing is brewing Cider. I've got 4 gallons going right now and will be trying my latest tonight. With the exception of Guinness I've never really acquired a taste for beer (much like my coffee I need it chewable) but I fell in love with Cider after spending a few weeks in England. Yum!

Neil

The Eugene City Brewery Honey Orange Wheat clone is very good and goes nicely to the head.
4037-honey-orange-wheat-may-23.jpg

The picture doesn't do the color of this beer justice. The light in my kitchen is terrible for photographs.

I have made some progress on my kegerator.

Ranco Installed
4039-ranco-digital-temp-control.jpg

Built a sturdy shelf to hold all that beer. The kegs came in yesterday.
4038-corny-kegs.jpg

I could really use some stickers though:)

The Eugene City Brewery Honey Orange Wheat clone is very good and goes nicely to the head.

The picture doesn't do the color of this beer justice. The light in my kitchen is terrible for photographs.

I hate that stuff. Generally when I see someone drinking it, I ask "What's your husband having?". ;)

Back