Another newbie question thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william146

Reaction score
Just brewed my first "by myself" batch - I had been helping my brothers-in-law get into the hobby since Christmas, and have brewed with them several times (all-grain twice).

Anyway - my brew tonight was a LME Kolsch kit. Things were going smoothly (except I broke my hydrometer - doh!) until the end. I went ahead and did a 5 gallon boil since i have an 8 gallon brew kettle and a burner. I noticed as I was putting the chiller in that I lost the typical 1/2 gallon during the boil.

Wort temp gets down to about 95 or so and stalls. It got from 220 or whatever to 95 in about 10 minutes, and then i waited another 20 minutes and it's still not going below 90. I then realize i've gained about 2/3 gallon of liquid in my kettle - i then realize that one of my clamps on the chiller isn't tightened and some water was leaking into the wort.

I guess my question is - this is OK right? I mean, i'd be adding water to the fermenter anyway if i didn't have 5 gallons. I ended up putting the wort into the fermenter at around 80-85 degrees and tossing that in an ice bath for 20 minutes before pitching. Anyone else had that cooling problem?

You should be ok. Don't worry, the yeast should take over and help kill any little thing that may have gotten in there. I have had it happen to me once and it turned out an awesome beer.

That happened to me once and my beer turned out fine. After that I learned to test my chiller before putting it in my wort.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

I do remember freaking out though when I realized what had happened. It all turned out just fine in the end. As long as your not running swamp water through your IC.

Back