Another lurker converted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMerkle

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a novice brewer. Three batches in and only one tasted. So far I'm off to a rough start. I've learned a lot from the people here and could think of no better place to be my first homebrew forum.

My first batch was a Brewer's Best IPA that turned out intensely bitter in the finish. My brew day was miserable unprepared and my many mistakes makes it difficult to be sure where the beer went wrong. It's not sour, or astringent. It seems to be a hop bitterness but it is INTENSE and it lingers. Should I start a new thread for it?

Usually when i experience a bitter aftertaste with my beers, all that is needed is some time aging. Many off flavors will become muted or go away all together after a month or so. Sometimes a too warm fermentation can cause a solventy aftertaste, but even that will get better after a while. Put that beer aside to try later as you try to perfect your process over the coming months.

It's gone now. We took it on and off the gas for over a year, and it got a bit better every month but the aftertaste remained unpleasant at it's best. I only brought it up because I recently brewed a Bell's Two Hearted Clone and going into the primary it was some POWERFUL stuff, but some reading has convinced me that fresh IPA wort is commonly overly bitter.

Back