Another lager yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpakstis

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

On Sunday I brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of bohemian pilsner. The OG was 1.062. I got it cooled to about 65 degrees and used WLP800 yeast. I did not try to create a starter but just pitched it in after shaking it per the instructions.

Its been fermenting between 55-60. Its been a little over 3 1/2 days and I don't have any Krausen forming. I can tell there is some airlock activity but it certainly hasn't been bubbling at any appreciable rate while I have been watching it.

Should I just keep waiting? Or should I pitch a new yeast. And if so since I don't have a stir plate or anything, should I try to create a starter?

Thanks everyone!

800 is a slow starter for me, but not that slow. Is it in a bucket or carboy that you can see there's no krausen?

800 is a slow starter for me, but not that slow. Is it in a bucket or carboy that you can see there's no krausen?

It is in a carboy so I can see. However an update: this morning I checked it and the yeast is slowly starting to rise and flocculate on the surface so (for the moment anyways) my fears have been allayed.

Sweet you are good to go! I have wlp800 in the fermentor now, and it took about 36 hrs to show anything with 4 liter starter.

Sweet you are good to go! I have wlp800 in the fermentor now, and it took about 36 hrs to show anything with 4 liter starter.

Yeah, my lesson for next time is to make a starter (it may force me to get off my butt and get a stir plate too). OR my lesson is to never make a lager again!

I asked my dad what kind of beer he'd like for when they host Christmas and he said a pilsner so I guess I put this on myself.

Latest posts

Back