Another First AG w/ my Lessons Learned for the Noobs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinman

Reaction score
Yet another thread on a noob's first foray into AG brewing. Hopefully what I learned will help other folks with to have a successful first-time venture. So here we go:

Method - Deathbrewer's Easy Partial Mash https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/
Recipe - BW's SWMBO Slayer https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/swmbo-slayer-belgian-blonde-26599/

Thanks to you both for the excellent posts that make it so easy and fun to concoct awesome brew.

In the vein of keeping the thread to the point, I'll cut to the chase and tell you what went right and wrong. I have 2 - Five gallon kettles that I split my grains fifty-fifty to each.

What went right - Almost everything. I had no major messes. I nailed all my temps (Having awesome guides makes it easy) and all my measurements were 98% correct except...

What went wrong - Instead of living by the RDWHAHB mantra, I didn't take my time and I did a very weak sparge (<5 minutes). I didn't let my grain bags drain very well and missed out on alot of useful sugars. Big time super noob mistake. I think that the pressure of doing this the first time got to me...I was more concerned with getting things to a boil quickly because that is the part of the process that is (was) familiar to me from extract brewing. Grrr...

After about 4 hours or so, I completed my virgin voyage with an OG of 1.045 (well off 1.057...Mostly due to my awesome sparge) - Guess the slayer might just turn out to be a wife beater. Oh well...She is happily bubbling away at this point and as always - Brewing is a learning lesson for me every time.

To the new guys, don't be afraid and by all means RDWHAHB! :cool:

Latest posts

Back