Another fermentation temperature thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaundryBrew

Reaction score
When a fermentation temperature is stated, would that be room temperature or wort temperature?

How much leeway can I have? My first brew will be a Hefeweizen. The optimum fermentation temperature is 17°C/62°F (Palmer/Zainasheff). My FermZilla will be in a room in the range of 20-22C°C/68-72°F. I will be using Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan XL or WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale. Both of these yeasts are within my room temperature range according to the manufacturers.

So while Messrs. Palmer and Zainasheff recommend an optimum temperature of 17°C/62°F, I am inclined to believe that my palate is not advanced enough to taste the difference between optimum temperature and yeast maker recommended temperature range. Maybe some of you guys can taste the difference, but not me (yet).

It is worth noting that the optimum temperature is outside the temperature range recommended by the yeast makers.

I would assume wort temperature but it will roughly be the same as your room temp. I typically notice a 2-3F degree rise above room temp during active fermentation. So if your room temp is around 70F your wort time will likely be around 72F. It looks like your in the right temp range according to the manufacturers recommendation. 62F does seem pretty low for a hefeweizen. Out of curiousity, where did you see Palmer/Zainasheff recommend this temp?

3068 does much better at around 55 degrees. You can ferment higher but will likely get some ester or phenols. As you said, you may not be able to tell anyway. Fermentation is exothermic. Temperatures may be higher than the “couple of degrees” stated.
if you could find some way to ferment cooler your results should be better.

Back