Another damn Lager thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_geezer

Reaction score
Hi guys sorry to do this. I ransacked your forum for ages getting as much info as possible before attempting a lager. My first 'brew' was the coopers 'lager' which uses the ale yeast and ferments @ 23 degrees for some reason.. but i really want to get into making crisp clean lagers without the eurotrash fruitiness. So here we is. Just wanted to make sure i was on the right track here if you could point out any places i might have gone wrong would be awesome!

I started off with a Brewcraft Cerveza tin mix and some brew enhancer, as well as some saaz hops to give it a bit of flavour. I toyed around with the idea of dry hopping but decided to stick to the simplest route to avoid convolution.

I used a saflager S-23 dry yeast package and tipped the contents into a 1L bowl of water at 20degrees to rehydrate and encourage growth.

I formed the wort at 20 degrees as well before aerating and adding the pre steeped hop mixture then the yeast , took a sample the OG was 1038 and now i am fermenting it in a brew fridge at 13 degrees until the SG reaches what im not sure lol any ideas what it will turn out to be?

There are no bubbles in the airlock but the gravity has gone down a couple points over the last 2 weeks so i'm not too concerned....

Just wondering if i should have done anything different with the yeast etc?

and when it comes time to bottle should i add more yeast to the bottling bucket?

cheers guys

Geezer

I just made a Bewers Best German Oktoberfest Extract kit. im new so im sticking with Kits for now. I chilled my wort down to 50deg F as well as my re-hydrated yeast. both 50 deg F. I then shook the bucket for 5 min.. then stirred in the yeast. after this i used the swamp cooler method. (love the HBT) swap out frozen water bottles (well.. poweraid) hang a thermometer in a good location.. cover with black garbage bags.. and watch the temp stays around 50deg (this is what my yeast packet said to keep it at in primary).. its been like this for a week now. It took 2 days before it started bubblin.

Back