Another can you identify hop.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth_Beer

Reaction score
A co-worker pointed me to this hop, and I am hoping that somebody might be able to point me in the right direction as to what it is. The farmer that owns the field behind it says he does not know anything about it, and didn't even realize it was there. He also says that the area used to grow hops (Harrisburg Oregon). He has been farming the land behind it for at least 30 years. I sampled a couple of the cones (and have almost a pound of dried hops) from it. It has a very similar to Cascade flavor, but its also kinda spicy. It has a very Cascade oder to it, but it also has a strong marijuana odor to it.

I am planning a brew with it in the next couple weeks to try its flavor in a mild pale ale.

wild-hops1.JPG

wild-hops2.JPG

The good news is that's a fairly unusual leaf for hops so it should make identification easier. The bad new is I can't think of an identification guide that uses leaves. They are almost all cones. At this point, those cones are so ripe it may be hard to tell.

You probably will never know for sure. Short of DNA tests, you can't know for sure. Just go with it and enjoy.

Thank you Dan for the insight on the leaves.

A little research is showing that the area used to grow cluster and golding hops around the turn of the century.

Most of the cones I harvested from it are very square in shape, with some being upwards of 2 inches long.

Back