Another brew day calamity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howhownow

Reaction score
Yesterday I finally got a chance to brew after a month of busy weekends. I had made a few upgrades to my mash tun and kettle, so was pretty excited.
Everything went very well through the mash, I hit 81% efficiency to the kettle- a great number for me. I was feeling good that the upgrades had paid off. Then I noticed a tendril of smoke coming from my RIMS tube... I had left the element on after the sparge. I grabbed my HLT and went running to the hose, which is around the house. I jogged back just in time to see a boilover starting (my first in over a year). I cut the burner off, and managed to get some cool water going across the element and avoided a catastrophic failure.
The rest of the boil and chill went well, and I was feeling good again. I was ready to bring the kettle into the kitchen and get the pilsner wort into the fermenter. Usually there is at least someone else at the house when I brew, today I happened to be alone. My front door was open, but I have a glass door that does not have a stop and slams right shut. I put my full kettle down on a little table on the porch, opened the glass door, held it open with my heel while I turned and went to lift the pot... You may be able to see what is coming here... I got about half way turned and boom, out went my back. I'm 27 and in good shape, and I've pulled plenty of muscles, but I've never had my back go totally out on me. Usually I take more care than to do something dumb like that, though. I managed to get the pot down without spilling it, and kind of crawled into my house and laid on the floor for about 10 minutes. Eventually I got a towel and managed to get the kettle onto it and drag it, inch by inch, through the house. I hope there were no children on the street. If so, they learned some new words.
At that point the realization hit me that even after I got the kettle into the kitchen, I would not be able to lift it onto the counter. I put the lid on it, and called my neighbor (she is about 5'5", 125). She came over with a baggie of tylenol and ice, and managed to wrestle the kettle onto the counter, like a champ. I got everything to the fermenter, and by then my roomate had arrived to get it to the ferm fridge. Cleaning was a slow and painful operation, and I probably should have left more for today. I did leave my sticky, hop covered kettle in the sink. I just didn't have the ability to deal with it last night.
Now, as I sit here on an ice pack and reflect, it all doesn't seem that bad. It is a really hopeless feeling at the time, though, to have a vulnerable batch of beer sitting on your floor that you worked all day on, and be totally unable to do anything with it. If it makes it through fermentation without infection, I think I'll call it even on the whole ordeal. The beer is already named Backbreaker Pilz.

Anyone have any advice for a busted back?

Ive done the same thing. 26, in good shape and wham-o stupid mistake there goes the back. Luckily never while brewing :D. Ive always found that after hurting my back, that unless your mattress is pretty stiff then I usually sleep on the carpeted floor with a very thin pad below me just to give a little cushion. The soft squishy mattress seems to prolong the injury. Also, as manly as it sounds, a hot bath (or jacuzzi) seems to help the muscles relax, and gives me an excuse to sit in nice hot water with some good brews. And seeing a Dr probably wouldnt hurt either

Thanks, guys. I am still moderately hobbled. I can get around OK, but any sort of exertion is tough. Speaking of manly, I was able to do the elliptical at the gym yesterday. I think I might look for a chiropractor.
I am in for the jacuzzi and brew idea... have plenty of beer around, now just have to trade for use of a hot tub.

Good news is that the pilsner is happily bubbling away, unaware of the pain and suffering it has caused me. I bear it no ill will- as with all brew I'll be getting the last laugh.

Yeah! You need to go to chiropractor as soon you can. They will fix you up in a few treatments. As I have done many times, you probably have pulled a muscle in your lower back.

If you sit a lot, get a lumbar pillow. The thermo whatever they're called heating strips work awesome too. Buy an electric heating pad.

I used to have debilitating back problems, but now I exercise tons, and always use an inflatable lumbar on the plane when on business. No more back issues, thank God.

ouch... try splashing a pot full of sparge water into your face because you was dumb and forgot to grab the hotpad first

I guess you are healing some by now.

Now it is time to think about lessening the need to move your wort. I have mine set up so that I fill my HLT in place - drain to the mash tun - drain to the BK - drain to the fermenter.

The only lifting is taking the fermenter into the house, to the basement, into the fermentation chamber.

I have a similar setup- I only lift my wort to take it into the house to fill the fermenter. I do have to get my water to my HLT, but that's usually 9+ gallons, so I get help with it anyway.

I am feeling better, I was able to run and go to the gym without restriction last week. Still a little sore, but able to move fine. I am definitely more careful now, and made sure I had help carrying the wort when I brewed Saturday.

My pump works great while brewing, not so much for getting wort from the front yard to inside the fermentation fridge. :tank:

Back