Another Basement Brewery Build - Sorin Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metzen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's been almost 2 years since I put together my small footprint eBIAB setup for use in my city condo (see link below for build), but we've now had our second kid, bought a new house, and moved. After tackling life and a bunch of projects around the house, its time to get back into the groove.

EBIAB build thread - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?posts/8131780

The garden level unit in the new place is now my office/man cave and I've been given permission by the Mrs to eliminate the second laundry and turn it into the brewery.

I am keeping the eBIAB kit (enjoying it too much to go back to my 3 vessel) and organizing the brew space around it. I have several ideas for DIY projects so I felt it worth documenting them here.

- Relocating dryer vent
- DIY ventilation inspired by the Electric Brewery
- Butcher block counter and sink
- New control panel
- Brew day cart
- pulley mount in the condensate hood for bag/basket drainage

I started this week with the duct relocation and some aesthetic updates. More details to come on each project... I'll post as I find time.

In the meantime, please feel free to share thoughts or ask questions. I'm eager to get back into the swing.

M

Teaser photos of the original laundry area, vent relocation, butcher block counter and sink, and fresh paint...
20190607_104533.jpeg
20190608_144800.jpeg
20190614_213545.jpeg
20190618_100600.jpeg
20190618_152703.jpeg
20190619_220627.jpeg
20190619_220309.jpeg
20190619_144335.jpeg

Great idea to repurpose the old dryer vent. I am planning to do the same.

What did you use for your hood? I know one person on here used a planter box.

Also, where did you source the sink and bench?

Thanks!

Great idea to repurpose the old dryer vent. I am planning to do the same.

What did you use for your hood? I know one person on here used a planter box.

Also, where did you source the sink and bench?

Thanks!
I used 16x8x48 inch rectangular duct purchased at my local Orange/Blue. I added end caps and sheared off the bottom to make the hood. Then cut a 6" hole in the end cap for the fan.

I mounted it with an outdoor lighting cable kit with wire and tension hooks.

The butcher block I got from my local Orange/Blue, cut the hole for the sink with a router and added 30" black iron legs purchased on Amazon.

The sink and faucet is the Kraus 33x22" all-in-one from Home Depot.

I'll try to pull links later.

Cheers
M

Starting to get things organized... Also the pulley bracket is installed. Next up is to wire the fan controller, mount the tv/controller monitor, and build a mobile "brew day cart" that will be stored under the counter where the kegs are now.
20190702_140805.jpeg
20190702_140930.jpeg
20190702_141006.jpeg

That really gives me an idea. Menards sells a 24x24x36 HVAC Plenum for about $65. Trim that down in height and add a gutter made from plastic channel like this and its exactly what I've been considering in stainless for about 1/10th the price.

Love the sink. I'd rather have the sideboard on the left (I'm right-handed), but you don't see very many brewers designing a space that use a shallow bowl in the sink. Mine is similar, and after using both the deep-bowl sink (like a laundry tub) and a shallow one, no way I'd go back to a deep bowl sink. Nice setup!

I see with the kettle and hood why you did it that way.

Awesome setup. Very clean.

One recommendation: a GFI ‘Shock Buster’ on that power strip plug.

Love the sink. I'd rather have the sideboard on the left (I'm right-handed), but you don't see very many brewers designing a space that use a shallow bowl in the sink. Mine is similar, and after using both the deep-bowl sink (like a laundry tub) and a shallow one, no way I'd go back to a deep bowl sink. Nice setup!

I see with the kettle and hood why you did it that way.

I probably would have preferred the sideboard on the left but the location of the dryer vent forced the fan on that side and the hood on the other.

I thought about a deeper commercial sink but the lower depth means less bending over and lifting of equipment/pots up and down. The guiding principle in designing all of this is easy/low effort brew day. Plus the sink was relatively cheap.

What are you using as your grain basket boom arm? (Is the the right term?) Did you build it from parts or is that an existing product?

What are you using as your grain basket boom arm? (Is the the right term?) Did you build it from parts or is that an existing product?

It is a folding shelf bracket. I used the below. It seems to be sturdy enough but time will tell if it holds up.

YUMORE Folding Shelf Brackets 12", Max Load: 330lb Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Collapsible Shelf Bracket for Table Work Bench, Space Saving DIY Bracket, Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F3RBFXC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XOohDbNT4XD4J

Thanks. The wall outlet that the strip is plugged into is a GFCI outlet. Would the shock buster still add value or would it be redundant?

No as long as it’s gfi and tests good you’re good to go.

Few more updates over the last couple weeks...

I've always been mildly annoyed switching tubes around between my faucet, water filter, kettle, plate chiller and fermenter when wanting to run hot, cold, or filtered water. So I decided to add two more pull-out faucets with quick disconnects to my sink so I can source any type of water at any time throughout the brew day.

Regular sink faucet (general cleaning or hot water needs)

Filtered water faucet with custom pot filler attachment purchased from brewhardware.com - thanks @Bobby_M (brewing water)

Unfiltered cold water faucet tapped straight off the cold line (for plate chiller, steam condenser, etc)

Also mounted the TV to be used as a monitor for my RPi controller.

CIPing the unitank today after an idle year in prep for the first brew day...
20190726_145502.jpeg
20190726_145456.jpeg
20190726_145514.jpeg
20190726_145006.jpeg
20190726_144907.jpeg

Nothing like a blank canvas!

My philosophy on any home design/remodel job is to jot down all of my needs/wants in priority and try to knock them out in threes. Start with the 3 most important things and figure out how to best make them work together. Then move on to the next three given the space that is left. I find this tends to help me make decisions and get the space designed and done efficiently and quickly - otherwise I'd paralyze myself overthinking it. I think it really helped me on this job.

Very Nice Work! I'm just starting to build my space! You are giving me some good ideas!

20190721_180604-jpg.637004

20190724_224838-jpg.637142

Yes. I took out the middle screw in the bottom of the vortex to drain any condensation. The hole is directly over the sink so I dont have to run drain pipe/tube.
Metzen did you put the Vortex fan over the sink due to knowing the Vortex will leak? If not, expect it to do so on brew day.

BTW, very nice and clean setup.

Yes. I took out the middle screw in the bottom of the vortex to drain any condensation. The hole is directly over the sink so I dont have to run drain pipe/tube.

Sweet!

I didn't realize the fan leaks condensation. However, quickly discovered. Mitigated by using a new funnel attached to the hole I drilled at the bottom of the fan. Old hose, but never used for anything, is attached to the bottom of the funnel. Direct condensation water to the drain in the brewery floor. Problem solved.

I know from earlier in the thread you had the sink on the left due to plumbing issues, but this is a nearly perfect sink setup IMO. I'd have the sideboard on the left (I'm right-handed) and I'd probably have the kettle elsewhere, but this is the kind of sink arrangement that makes the most sense to me.

It has a sideboard for setting aside cleaned items, etc., for them to drain on a towel or drain board, and the sink is shallow which means no bending down. I have mine at 40" high and it's just about dead perfect.

Nice! The butcher block did you have to cut it down? I searched on the lowes app and they have a 6x4ft blocks, and it its like $269 plus tax usd!

Nice! The butcher block did you have to cut it down? I searched on the lowes app and they have a 6x4ft blocks, and it its like $269 plus tax usd!

That's not bad at all for solid wood.

Ikea has one model of solid wood top. I have four coming in Wednesday to become a bar top, a desk for my wife and probably enough cutoffs for something.

That's not bad at all for solid wood.

Ikea has one model of solid wood top. I have four coming in Wednesday to become a bar top, a desk for my wife and probably enough cutoffs for something.
Im sure! Guess im torn doing something like this with wood or spend the money on a 6ft stainless table, and a 36" with wheels.

Yes I cut it down. I bought the 6x4 and used the other 6x2 for another bar counter a while back - so I had this 6x2 conveniently lying around.

Back