Annapolis Home Brew Wont Give me ingredients?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
So I just ordered their Cherry Wheat recipie. Went to put in into Beer Smith and there is no indicator of whats in the recipie.

I got a bag full of mixed grains and some unlabeled Hops with mashing and boiling directions for $51.00....

You gotta be kidding me. I can understand not wanting to post it online but I paid $ for their kit.

So now I have no idea whats in this recipie and if I want to tweek it/predict gravity using beer smith etc I'm S.O.L.

I called them as well and their customer support guy said they dont give out the recipies for any reason...

Needless to say I will never be buying anything from them ever again....

I converted my father to Austin Homebrew Supply for this very reason. He still gets wine kits from Annapolis, but from now on I think he will be ordering from AHS.

In a way I can say I don't blame them, but as a home brewer I want to be able to understand what is in the recipe. Gain that knowledge for trying out my own recipes.

They don't want you to understand, they want you to keep buying their overpriced kits of subpar quality.

Incentives just don't align there.

So I just ordered their Cherry Wheat recipie. Went to put in into Beer Smith and there is no indicator of whats in the recipie.

I got a bag full of mixed grains and some unlabeled Hops with mashing and boiling directions for $51.00....

You gotta be kidding me. I can understand not wanting to post it online but I paid $ for their kit.

So now I have no idea whats in this recipie and if I want to tweek it/predict gravity using beer smith etc I'm S.O.L.

I called them as well and their customer support guy said they dont give out the recipies for any reason...

Needless to say I will never be buying anything from them ever again....

This is the best way to deal with the problem, IMO.

+1 for Austin Homebrew.

They give you the recipe with your kit, but don't post online. Fine by me.... They do other things (like good prices, good shipping, customer service, knowledge, etc) to keep me coming back and don't have to resort to tricking me or treating me like I am going to ruin their business if i get the recipe.

Boo for Annapolis! If there is one thing I've learned about homebrewing over the last 20 months, it is that homebrewing is all about sharing!

Their kits probably suck compared to other kits anyway! They probably just don't want people pointing out all of their recipe flaws.

Not to knock Austin, but Midwest puts all of it on line. I went looking for the beer I made from them and found the ingredients and receipe pdf online. Wise move or fooling? I don't know. I've ordered from both companies and the beers I made were good.

+1 for AHS...I've been ordering from them for a couple of years now and not only are the ingredients top notch, but if I've ever had customer service issues I have been highly impressed with their willingness to help out.

I've learned a lot from the ingredient listings they provide with kits and it's definitely helped me out as a home brewer to understand what's going on with the brew that I'm making.

Now that I do my own recipes I still buy my ingredients from them. Great business to support.

$51 for 5 gallons of AG? Yikes. Seriously, the sooner you are able to formulate your own recipes and get your ingredients in bulk the better off you will be financially. For $51 I would expect to get 10 gallons of a very big beer.

The kit came with pasturized cherry puree ($12.00) on other sites... Pectin ($3.00) and cherry extract ($7.00)....

So I think those items bumped the cost up. I did not mind the added cost of the kit. Easier for me to just get it all in one shot. I just annoyed me that they would not give me the grain bill and type of hops so I can but it in my beer book and possibly tweek it to my taste in the future.

If I make this again I will just find a generic wheat ale recipie somewhere and buy the puree, extract and pectin seperately.

Bernie Brewer said:
$51 for 5 gallons of AG? Yikes. Seriously, the sooner you are able to formulate your own recipes and get your ingredients in bulk the better off you will be financially. For $51 I would expect to get 10 gallons of a very big beer.

I agree that is expensive for a 5 gallon batch. I don't think I have ever spent that on 5 gallons. I used to buy from northern brewer and Midwest supplies before I started making my own recipes. they were reasonably priced I thought. I also liked that I knew what was going in my beer.

Edit

Didn't see the part about the purée and that stuff. That would somewhat justify the cost.

long time brewer first time poster. I have been brewing for a long time and most recently using Annapolis home-brew. I have to say half of their kits come with the recipe its their "brew masters secret" kits that do not. Its a bummer because they have always come out ****ing amazing. I think its their attempt at branding. Some times its a bummer not knowing their secrets but the quality is always amazing.

not a doctor just a drinker.

They weren't very helpful in store when I shopped there before I moved to Baltimore. Glad Baltimore has their own store now (Nepenthe Homebrew).

Back