And here we go!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beergazzi

Reaction score
Well, Im joining this merry band of men (and ladies) who enjoy the challenge of making world class hooch in our basements (or bathrooms...kitchens..garages..sheds..back of our trucks etc :tank:).

I was thinking about trying this for months..then cooking channel showed the good eats 'amber waves' episode and I got more 'bitten', then I started researching my arse off..then today living social had a half price deal on a beginners kits from midwest...so, in a week or two I will have an irish stout LME (see I even have the lingo down) kit bubbling in my fermenter.

My pipe dream is to one day reproduce Youngs Chocolate or Oatmeal Stouts like brew. I read that one thread where the guy here did a chocolate rasperry stout and actually talked to Youngs brewers on yeast / grain choices...while that is still in the 'alchemy from outspace' category to me, I hope that 1) my first stout is mostly enjoyable ( i expect it to be, given proper instructions I could pilot a mars lander) 2) I eventually brew a beer for each season that makes me and my friends and family do this ---> :ban::ban::ban:

I will be asking questions...some may even be intelligent.

YOungs CHocolate Oatmeal shouldn't be too hard to make. Maybe you can try it in a batch or two? I don't think there is anything terribly difficult to it.

OK...already made my first 'mistake' (I dont even have the darn equipment yet).

The kit looks like a partial mash kit (I think thats what its called when there are some grains), so I'll be wading a little deeper into the ooze on my first kit than intended...but Im feeling good about it, the instructions (which I downloaded and read 7 times today at work) didn't scare me off.

There are extract with steeping grain kits too. That's likely what you have. There are skads of threads on here about steepin crystal/caramel grains. Welcome to your new obsession! Relax,don't worry (too much!) & enjoy the ride...:mug:

+1 There may be grains in there, but it may not need to be mashed at all. Extract kits often come with grains that you only need to steep in some hot water. But double check. If you actually do have mashing grains, then you're going to have to do a partial mash. No bigge, just follow the instructions, which will likely say to do something like:

Add so much water, bring to certain temperature (like 158) and add grains and let it sit for x number of minutes then remove grains and rinse the grains, blah, blah, blah. it's pretty easy and is basically like an AG batch. No biggie. It's hardly any different from using steeping grains, TBH, and most good kits come with some steeping grains nowadays.

Back