Analyzing and Visualizing the Benifits of Continuous Hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting ready to do a late brew tonight, first time doing a porter. Not sure if I'm going to dryhop or not, porters seems to be more versatile than stouts but I don't want it to compete against the dark malty character. hmmmm

Not to get off topic :off: , may I suggest Fuggles for the Porter dry hop.

JSmith CONGRATS ON THE KID!!!

I think I read that DeathBrewer diluted after fermentation to save fermenter space. Might that be an option for erasing an I from your IIPA?

Krausen has all dropped out, just letting them clear. Both are darker than I expected but smell great. I was debating a secondary which I never use but there is a lot of fall out in those jugs. I snapped a couple more photos but I'm on my phone right now, I'll post them later.

Thinking a cold crash in about 2 Weeks for 7 days then I'll bottle them up.

Edit- thanks Elway!

About thinning the iipa, I've actually grown fond of the idea we'll have a normal ipa and an imperial ipa to test. I am curious what DB did though, could you post a link?

Just read the whole thread. Fascinated. Subscribed for the eventual tasting notes. And BIG congrats to OP.

i put 1.5 gallons into each container and topped off with 1 gallon each. thats 2 x 2.5 = 5 gallons

CARBOYS MUST ALWAYS HAVE HEADSPACE. i didn't top off all the way.

i've also used this method another way. i would boil down to about 2.5 gallons and put that in one 3 gallon carboy. then i would let that ferment as a strong ale. at kegging time, i would add 2 gallons of distilled water and dilute it down to a regular beer. it worked really well with some of the dark beers, not so well with my kolsch. it was a space-saving experiment

hope this helps let me know if you have any more questions.

Post 276 in his Easy Partial Mash thread.

If you want I could start on a couple batch's of a pale ale to go along with the IPA and imperial IPA. I could do it with the same hops, or different depending on where you want to go with this experiment. It's up to you, I understand if you just want to tackle this yourself being your idea and all and using your methods.

Just looks like a lot of fun!

Yeaaaah, brew it up! I'd say go for whatever hops you want to, it's all in fun anyway like you said and there is no rush at all, the beers will just get better with time; man I love this hobby. It would be cool when we trade to get a couple that I don't know which is which as well, though I plan on marking a couple of mine on the bottom of the bottle and having swmbo mix them up when I go to try so it's a blind test.

I was laughing earlier, I've got these 4 gallons of ipa - iipa going, 3 more gallons of ipa, 3 gallons of lager, 4 gallons of apfelwein, 1 gallon of scrumpy cider, and 7 24packs and a case of bombers of other homebrews already bottled.. I've got beer coming out of my freaking ears right now lol. Bring it, zombies apocolypse!

Bought some supplies today, haven't been around my comp for a few days (sending from my iPod PITA!). Since the other beers will be strong I was thinking this one will be a little over 4% abv. Sound good? I can up it if you guys think it should be. Hops will be cascade seems to make sense right?

Thank you again Jsmith for letting me be a part of this!

I found these FANTASTIC pots yesterday while at the store with my wife. 2 gallon stainless steel pots with lids, $6.50 a piece. I couldn't believe the price, bought 2 of them for times like these when I'm brewing small batches.

Oh man, great deal that.

And congrats on the news!

(subscribing)

Bought some supplies today, haven't been around my comp for a few days (sending from my iPod PITA!). Since the other beers will be strong I was thinking this one will be a little over 4% abv. Sound good? I can up it if you guys think it should be. Hops will be cascade seems to make sense right?

Thank you again Jsmith for letting me be a part of this!

No thanks needed man, all for fun ! You develop the recipe how you see fit. I've been sticking to 2 row, crystal, and hops. If you're going to do a 2 hop addition and a continuous addition, it may be tough to do gallon batches with such little hops (guessing off the top of my head for a pale you would probably only utilize a half ounce per gallon), perhaps instead of 20 additions for the continuous you do 10 and add once every 6 minutes? Meh, food for thought. Shoot me an IM if you want a hand with it.

Who knows if we'll even get some consistent taste data out of this but one thing we will do is drink some beers! Can't go wrong with that!! :tank:

- Thanks Bilirubin! We had our first ultrasound yesterday, 9 weeks along is what they said. Got to see the picture, hear the heartbeat.. It was an awesome experience. Is it bad I'm already planning a fun game called "help dad mill the grain"?? LOL

Ok, I'll message you for specifics.

So for other people interested I bought a can of golden light briess LME, with 2 pounds of Marris Otter 2-row, and a half pound of crystal 20 lovibond I believe.. maybe 40 lol, I'll check the receipt. I bought 2 ounces of cascade pellet, but may use less thinking probably 30 IBU's will be good? Not sure. I'm flexible, I'll see what works with my brew calculator maybe your right with 10 additions every 6 minutes.

That is a nice pipeline you got going very interesting batches to say the least, hows the double orange bavarian? might have to hit you up for that recipe. I want to get going on a barley wine, never done one before so should be interesting. Bought some french oak cubes for it.

Oh and congratulations! Surprised with all you got going on with the fam you have time to produce all these batches as well as experiment, hats off to ya! Must be a great counterpart you got.

That is a nice pipeline you got going very interesting batches to say the least, hows the double orange bavarian? might have to hit you up for that recipe. I want to get going on a barley wine, never done one before so should be interesting. Bought some french oak cubes for it.

Oh and congratulations! Surprised with all you got going on with the fam you have time to produce all these batches as well as experiment, hats off to ya! Must be a great counterpart you got.

She is the greatest - great help as well when needed! Brewing works good a lot of time between us because she DVRs all those real housemonster shows and over my dead body will I sit through one therefore on a Saturday, I can tie up the kitchen for 6 hours, she could care less while she empties our DVR :D

My pipeline is definitely exploding right now - my best bud is engaged so he's gone most the time, other buddy has a daughter so he doesn't come through often, another buddy just moved to KC, SWMBO is prego, most other friends have kids, jobs, moved, families...

Took a step back the other day and said "Holy ****.. We grew up!"

I have to admit though tearing into beers a couple months after brewing them, they age nicely. I never thought I'd be at a point where I wasn't ripping into my 4 week old batch yet here I sit.

Good luck with the oak - I brewed an Oak IIPA with all Glacier around March I believe, I still have a couple bottles around - good cellar beer to pull out and sample with crowds.

Here's my idea for the pale ale, although it's still open for suggestions. I plan on doing this soon, should work out since the gravities will be lower than the others wouldn't need to condition as long.

Pale Ale
perc lbs. oz.
65% 3 5 Briess CBW Golden Light
20% 1 0 British Two-row Pale
10% 0 8 Sugar, Table (Sucrose)
5% 0 4 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L

Batch size: 4.0 gallons
American Ale 1056 Yeast

Original Gravity
1.043 / 10.7° Plato
(1.038 to 1.045)
Final Gravity
1.011 / 2.8° Plato
(1.009 to 1.011)
Color
4° SRM / 9° EBC
(Yellow)
Mash Efficiency
75%
IBU's

hops (Time is wrong increments, the brewing software I used only does 5 and 10 increments)

boil 60 mins 0.125 Cascade
boil 50 mins 0.125 Cascade
boil 45 mins 0.125 Cascade
boil 35 mins 0.125 Cascade
boil 25 mins 0.125 Cascade
boil 20 mins 0.125 Cascade
boil 10 mins 0.125 Cascade
boil 5 mins 0.125 Cascade

Still may do 6 minute intervals, subjectively may be seen more of a "continuous hopping" with the closer durations. Have to do the hop schedule for 64 min instead if I do eight as well so a little variable.
I may change the sugar addition as well. The reason being the more dry it finishes and the less malt the more the hops will be distinguishable.

For the other two gallon batch I'll do three equal additions @60, 30, and 5.

- Thanks Bilirubin! We had our first ultrasound yesterday, 9 weeks along is what they said. Got to see the picture, hear the heartbeat.. It was an awesome experience. Is it bad I'm already planning a fun game called "help dad mill the grain"?? LOL

Hilarious!

Also, thanks for the unspoken tip for putting the blow off tubes into milk jugs of sterilizer. Clever way of keeping the right end down!

2011-10-30154243.jpg

I bottled all four beers today, I sampled and took notes on each, gooood stuff! Ended up with 6 & 6 of the IIPA, 9 & 9 of the IPA. The pic above is the Amarillo IIPA 20 addition, I really like the clarity and color, had to share it.

Favorite so far is the Cascade 20 addition - obviously they all were flat and room temp but I found that one exceptionally good. I've noted about scent, taste, and visual appeal for each beer (sampled all 4) so I've got some good notes going.

3 more weeks then they all should be good to go!

weeeeee....can't wait for my taste tester!! now, are you going to do something like label them A and B and only you know which is which so that it's like a blind tasting?

What I did - Bottled and labeled each batch by their hop and description, kept them in their own pile on the counter so I knew which was which. The Imperial beers are labeled A-IIPA, the regulars are labeled C-IPA. I told SWMBO which was which (which piles were continuously hopped, which were regularly hopped), then I left the room and she labeled each pile with either a plus or minus sign, then wrote that down onto a piece of paper to create a key so at this point, we won't know whether "A-IIPA -" or "A-IIPA +" is the continuous, or regular hopped, same for the C batches. We can now compare regular against regular, Imperial against imperial, then compare notes down the road after all is said and done and break out the key to see if we have similarities per style.

Clever, kind of like a case study on yourself and each other. Can't really argue having a biased analysis with that method. You might also want to do a naturalistic observation on another individual who has no idea of your experiment. Let him or her try one of each without explaining anything about the experiment, just something general like you brewed two separate batches of double IPA's and wanted to know what they think... or something along those lines.

Excellent write up and fun experiment!

Send me one of each with non-descriptive labels and I'll try to pick out any differences. (Really, I wish I had enough tasting experience to make a serious lab-rat offer)

*subscribed* :mug:

Keep us posted as they mature!

Just to note my pale ale's (or Strong English Bitters) will need some more time and wont be ready when J's batches are done. I started a little bit later, and although are only going to be around 4.5% abv and shouldn't need too long of a conditioning, don't want to rush them too soon.

I'll post pictures soon of the process.

This is a great post. It makes me want to build an electro-mechanical device that auto drops individual pellets over a specified time interval. Count up the hop pellets, divide by 60, program the drop interval, then sit back and have a few beers while geekishly watching the pellets drop on by one......hmmmmmm.

This is a great post. It makes me want to build an electro-mechanical device that auto drops individual pellets over a specified time interval. Count up the hop pellets, divide by 60, program the drop interval, then sit back and have a few beers while geekishly watching the pellets drop on by one......hmmmmmm.

http://www.dogfish.com/files/Zopinator.pdf

Great read.. Time to get out the old erector set haha...

I just ordered 15oz of hops last Saturday, gearing up to brew the 120IIPA again, a machine to dump for me would be pretty sweet :D Thinking about it though I would miss my "3 pointer" hop additions from across the kitchen around addition 35-36 once the beers from the past hour and a half are starting to really kick in heh..

That's awesome bwomp313...thanks for the link :mug:

When I talked to some people about the experiment I was participating in they were all saying, "yeah, Dogfish Head does that with some beers". But I was trying to explain that it wasn't about the continuous hopping part being the experiment, it was to see if there was a distinguishable difference between continuously hopping and not.

Clever, kind of like a case study on yourself and each other.

Man do I feel dumb.... I forgot again your wife can't drink yet :drunk:

Just disregard that part of the post and that part of the message lol

I would say you have to do that 120 min double IPA!!! For the grand finally we should all drink it out of 'Das Boot' as well :rockin:

I would say you have to do that 120 min double IPA!!! For the grand finally we should all drink it out of 'Das Boot' as well :rockin:

Had one before? They are deadly. My first batch got close but I didn't break 21%. My buddy drank a couple at a pool party this last summer after already having a couple beers beforehand (dumb move obviously), anyhow renamed it 120 IRPA (R for roofie) the next day as he blacked out and couldn't remember a thing :tank:

I'm switching it up this time though as well, I opted to use Centennial hops instead of Warrior and I'm adding more of everything to make up for and surpas the original bitterness ratio of the clone recipe (anyone that has brewed it comes back saying the same thing - I wish I would have added more hops), I'm also trying to land it around 15-16% and let it finish dry in oppose to the mid+ 20s, it gets pretty syrupy if you let it fade from cold to chilled / slight room temp.

A note to anyone tagging along with the topic - all beers to participants have arrived, from the sounds of it we're all taste testing this weekend, experiment results should be in next week!

Cheers!

Just popped open one now! Not gonna post any feedback yet.. but just thought I would share a link. I've never really graded a beer before and actually a little nervous lol so wanted to find a little reference that might help.

Tasting Beer

(if anyone wants to not essential)

Prost!

I found with my continuously hopped beers the aroma is actually lacking. So Dry Hopping is very necessary as is adding hops to the keg. Also note, I used leaf hops for everything.

My IIPA is 9.2%abv with 85 IBUs
6 oz's of Amarillo were used during the boil
1 oz was dry hopped in fermenter for 4 days
2 oz added to keg.

Initial taste tests were a favorable but were lacking the aroma punch.

Just read through the thread, very interesting and relevant. Before even seeing this i was debating continuous vers intervals for my next IPA. I have done both before, but i did to many different things with the beers to get a good comparison. So im very much looking forward to the results.

I found with my continuously hopped beers the aroma is actually lacking. So Dry Hopping is very necessary as is adding hops to the keg. Also note, I used leaf hops for everything.

My IIPA is 9.2%abv with 85 IBUs
6 oz's of Amarillo were used during the boil
1 oz was dry hopped in fermenter for 4 days
2 oz added to keg.

Initial taste tests were a favorable but were lacking the aroma punch.

Wow that sounds good. Makes me want to brew a batch of a IIPA now. That seems odd that with all those late hop additions the aroma wouldn't be more pronounced. Maybe the strong presence of the malt covered the nose of it??

Cool thread!! I just brewed my first batch of beer last weekend, a brewers best ipa kit. Instead of following the directions and pitching all my bittering hops (cascade and columbus) during the first 5 minutes of boil I spread it out and pitched every ten minutes breaking the hops up into 5 equal portions. I then added my aroma hops (cascade I believe, not sure but it was the same as one of the bittering that came with the kit) at the last 5 minutes of boil. I just switched over into a secondary and am dry hopping 1 oz of citra hops hoping for a real hoppy bitter beer. Can't wait to try it. Anyway i did this due to the fact i wanted to see how hopping at various points would benefit rather than throwing all my hops in at one time and letting them brew down. I am loving the info I get here on this forum!! Cant wait to brew my next batch and try some more "expirements"!!

Well - Good things and bad things from this weekend, the Cascade IPAs were okay however the Amarillo IIPAs didn't carbonate and really tasted awful, enough that I ended up dumping my 2 cold Imperial test beers - planning to leave the rest sit for a couple of months. It was a lesson well learned on paying attention to measurements because those 2 Amarillo's were by far the worst things to have came out of my brewpot.

The Cascade's though not extremely carbonated were better, and drinkable - still not a prized beverage but good enough for the test. I'm already showing interesting results from my end, I put 1 more of each in the fridge yesterday and plan on having a second go at taste testing this week, maybe on Turkey day after everything is done and over with.

Wow that sounds good. Makes me want to brew a batch of a IIPA now. That seems odd that with all those late hop additions the aroma wouldn't be more pronounced. Maybe the strong presence of the malt covered the nose of it??

It was the temp that I taste tested at I think. Either way I'm going for a punch you in the face type of aroma. I think I have it nailed dead now. I think in a few more days we'll be really enjoying it.

Yesterday I brewed my second beer in the Single Hop Series. Same Grain Bill.

20lbs 2-row
1lb 10L
.5lb Special B
6oz's Chinook Leaf hops

1200ml Starter with a blend of WLP099 and ECY10(Old Newark Ale). Should be done by next week.

Hey J, I think I might of graded the 'Alcohol Presence' wrong. Should it of been lower the value the more alcohol taste detected? I probably should of had clarity on that before the chart test. Also, I graded the clarity and color by it's style on which SRM it should be (like double IPA's shouldn't be completely transparent lol).

I drank those last two beers anyway, had all six Friday night. I didn't think they were too bad considering the carbonation, although had a pretty good buzz on from the single and double IPA's lol

Latest posts

Back