an other first batch did i mess it up question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fork

Reaction score
So I brewed my first batch this weekend it was the brewers best california imperial pale ale kit.. Despitely the supposidly experianced person who I was brewing with being less than cleanly it went ok until it came time to transfer from the boiling pot to the fermentation bucket. to try and leave the hops and other trub behind we strained the wort through cheese cloth. As soon as we poured anything through we filter out stuff the consistancy of mud or baby crap. Now that the beer actually had to filter ththrough this very fine paste I think this may act like a very fine filter and it may have been too much.
So do you think this will turn out decent or what. What do you guys nornally do to transfer for the brew kettle to fermenting bucket.

Some people use a big strainer, some opt to dump everything in the fermenter and let the yeast do the work and some cool their wort, whirlpool it and use their auto siphon....I've done all three depending on my mood, or the brewing situation.

Your beer will turn out fine....

You should be fine. I use an autosiphon which works great for me, so I would suggest investing in one. They are cheap and can be found just about anywhere.

So your saying just siphon everything including the hops into the fermentor? I.'ve heard that is bad and that was the root of my problem trying to get the wort into the fermentor without the hops..

Well, when you use the siphon, you can often just siphon the clear wort off of the stuff on the bottom (hops would plug up the siphon if you sucked them in).

But, it won't hurt it anyway. The "stuff" just settles out on the bottom of the fermenter and it really doesn't matter if you strain it out or not. I stain most of the big globbies out if I can, by pouring through a sanitized colander over the top of my bucket. But the stuff that goes into the primary won't change the flavor of the beer anyway. It's just one thing I do that helps aerate the wort and catches some of the globs.

I let it sit for about 30 minutes for everything to settle, then start to siphon, as the level in the pot gets lower, I lower the siphon. When I start to suck to much junk up with the siphon, I stop. If there is still alot of wort left, I may strain it, but usually just let it go to the " beer gods":drunk:

when i get to the botom of my FV i transfer my syphon from the secondary to a jug and just carry on going till theres virtually no liquid left, i then take the liquid from the jug and filter it through my caffetierre before adding it to the secondary, ive found this works quite well for most of the crap removal.

Latest posts

Back