American Style Lager Hop Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyskier

Reaction score
I brewed up a quick run of Northern Brewers American Lager yesterday. The kit came with 1oz of Saaz (Alpaha 4.0) to be put in at 60.

I had a 1 oz. Package of NZ Pacifica (Alpha 4.4) that I needed to use, so I substituted it for the Saaz @ 60. I considered posting this question BEFORE brew day but never got around to it.

Any opinions or thoughts on what Ive done? Should this turn out according to some style?

mk

You've made an american lager with NZ Pacifica. I'm not too familiar with Pacifica to tell you what to expect, but you didn't change the style or anything like that. You've only changed the hop character from Saaz to Pacifica. It will still fall into that style, and you'll still be enjoying that beer.

You only substituted a bittering addition, and you used another low-alpha acid hop in its place, so you should be fine. There might be a slight change in the hop character, but it isn't as if you swapped in a high-AA variety and turned a mild beer into a paint-strippingly bitter one. No worries.

Back