American IPA Two Stage? Do I need to do the Two Stage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEasy43

Reaction score
So I just bought an American IPA kit and it calls for two Stage fermentation, do I need to do this? If so, when do I move it to the secondary and how long does it stay in each one. Also as you can see the recipe below what does it mean when it tells to to put hops in at 0:00?? Do I just put them in after the boil finishes?

IMG_20160705_081539.jpg

I would not do a secondary. Let it ride in primary for at least 2 weeks, preferably 3, then dry hop, cold crash, and package!

And yes, those hops go in when you cut the heat at the end of the boil

For the style and that grain bill, I'd start dry hopping at ten days, crash on Day 14 for a couple/few days, then package.
Definitely no need for the extra transfer, and no need for a protracted fermentation.
Drink this one young...

Cheers!

For the style and that grain bill, I'd start dry hopping at ten days, crash on Day 14 for a couple/few days, then package.
Definitely no need for the extra transfer, and no need for a protracted fermentation.
Drink this one young...

Cheers!

Didn't know about Dry Hopping and Cold Crashing an Ale. So do I really need to do this to make a better ale?

LOL! Sorry, got ahead of you there :)

No, you don't have to dry hop or cold-crash to make a tasty brew.

[Though I'd argue the last Amarillo addition would do better as a dry hop, but one could go either way on that.]

Dry-hopping just ups the aromatic voltage, while cold-crashing cleans up the debris and can make racking easier.

But tons of folks do neither and make good beer...

Cheers! :mug:

As mentioned you don't have to dry hop an IPA, but I wouldn't make an IPA without it. IMO that recipe is already light on the finishing hops for an AIPA at only 2.5 oz total. I'd add 3 oz or so of dry hop.

Drink this one young...

Cheers!

DON'T go by days past. Go by hydrometer readings. It's not done until you get at least 2 readings the same a day apart. Then dry hop if wanted and cold crash also if you WANT to as it's not needed. But it does make for a clearer ale.

Back