American IPA extract recipe. Opinions welcomed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eerrpp

Reaction score
I came up with an American IPA extract recipe. Plan is using a 3 gallon boil and then topping off the fermentation bucket to 5 gallons. I'd be interested in hearing more experienced home brewers take on the recipe before I make it.

image.jpg

Since it's using extract, which also has crystal malt in it already, I'd cut the crystal malt, probably in half. 1.25 pounds plus what is in the extract is too much.

Since it's using extract, which also has crystal malt in it already, I'd cut the crystal malt, probably in half. 1.25 pounds plus what is in the extract is too much.

What do you think of 0.25 of toasted or roasted malt for body and 0.25 crystal malt instead?

Any thoughts about using the Columbus hops. Would that be too much dank herbal flavor on top of the simco and chinook hops? Would something like centennial or cascade work better in place of the Columbus hops?

Any thoughts about using the Columbus hops. Would that be too much dank herbal flavor on top of the simco and chinook hops? Would something like centennial or cascade work better in place of the Columbus hops?

I love the flavor and aroma of Columbus, so in my opinion they will work out just fine for you as late additions.

What do you think of 0.25 of toasted or roasted malt for body and 0.25 crystal malt instead?

The recipe would have plenty of body without any additions, but if you want a bit of flavor from the crystal malt (I would), then .5-.75 pound of it would be great. I would skip any roasted malt in an IPA.

The recipe would have plenty of body without any additions, but if you want a bit of flavor from the crystal malt (I would), then .5-.75 pound of it would be great. I would skip any roasted malt in an IPA.

thanks for the advice on the steeping grains. still new to the home brewing scene.

with this recipe I combined parts of the ipa recipe from the book how to brew by john palmer and parts of the steeping grains and some of the hop profile from the american ipa recipe from the book brewing classic styles from zainashef and palmer.

I think might end up using 0.25lb of crystal 15L and 0.25lb of crystal 40L for the the steeping grains. Or just 0.5lb of Crystal 20L.....any thoughts on this??? here's the recipe with the steeping grains scaled back to a total of 0.5 lbs.

8.0 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Pale Boil
0.25 lb Crystal 15L (CA) Steep
0.25 lb Crystal 40L (CA) Steep

Hops
1.0 oz Chinook (US) 60 min Boil
1.0 oz Columbus (US) 10 min Boil
1.0 oz Simcoe (US) 5 min Boil
1.0 oz Amarillo (US) 0 min Boil

Yeasts
American Ale Wyeast 1056

1.062 OG
1.015 FG
60 IBU
6 SRM
6.1% ABV
0.98 Balance

I like it! I assume that at least half of your extract will be added at flame out? I'd probably divide it up with 3 pounds or so in the boil, the rest at flame out.

I like either crystal 20L or 40L, or a bit of both. They both bring a hint of caramel sweetness to the flavor, without any hint of raisins or toffee. Either would go well in this recipe.

I like it! I assume that at least half of your extract will be added at flame out? I'd probably divide it up with 3 pounds or so in the boil, the rest at flame out.

I like either crystal 20L or 40L, or a bit of both. They both bring a hint of caramel sweetness to the flavor, without any hint of raisins or toffee. Either would go well in this recipe.

Yeah that's the plan at least half of the extract at flameout. I may end up doing a mix of crystal 20L and 40L just to bring in some variety.

Back