American hefeweizen yeast in IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-18

Reaction score
Hey all,

So last night while brewing an IPA, I tried something different. I was brewing an IPA that I used a ton of Citra hops for, and I had some WLP320 in the fridge that I figured it would use.
I had the idea that the citrus aroma would go well with the hefe esters. There is however no wheat in the recipe itself, so I wonder what you guys think.
Does it sound like something I should be excited about, or should I prepare to throw it down the drain?
Also, how long should I leave it in primary? Hefe usually sits for 14 days, but the original recipe calls for 10 days.
I also dry hopped with some more Citra.

I think this will be one fruity thing - if it's drinkable :D

Sounds like it would be great.
I have never tried this WLP320, but I guarantee it is just as happy eating barley malt as wheat! (Probably happier)

I guess you are pulling our leg about throwing it out?
You dry hopped already? I normally wait until after the krausen falls, to dry hop. Then wait four or five days, or until the bubbles slow to over a minute apart, cold crash, then keg or bottle.

If you dry hop early I have heard the vigerous CO2 of primary scrubs out some of the flavor

Sounds like it would be great.
I have never tried this WLP320, but I guarantee it is just as happy eating barley malt as wheat! (Probably happier)

I guess you are pulling our leg about throwing it out?
You dry hopped already? I normally wait until after the krausen falls, to dry hop. Then wait four or five days, or until the bubbles slow to over a minute apart, cold crash, then keg or bottle.

If you dry hop early I have heard the vigerous CO2 of primary scrubs out some of the flavor

Yeah I was wondering that too in regards to the dry hopping, but the recipe said to add it when fermentation started and remove it after 3 days.
The hops are in a bag and not loose in the wort, so maybe that's why I can do it. It will be interesting I think.

Hey all,

So last night while brewing an IPA, I tried something different. I was brewing an IPA that I used a ton of Citra hops for, and I had some WLP320 in the fridge that I figured it would use.
I had the idea that the citrus aroma would go well with the hefe esters. There is however no wheat in the recipe itself, so I wonder what you guys think.
Does it sound like something I should be excited about, or should I prepare to throw it down the drain?
Also, how long should I leave it in primary? Hefe usually sits for 14 days, but the original recipe calls for 10 days.
I also dry hopped with some more Citra.

I think this will be one fruity thing - if it's drinkable :D

SUBSCRIBED!!!
I used a wit yeast with NZ Hops, which has come out nicely.

Did something similar. At least for my beer American hefe yeast is clean enough that you can't really taste it behind the hops.

So I think on theory this is a great idea, however I would be worried about the effect of excessive phenols and esters on the bitterness. I think the hop bitterness would clash with the ester banana flavor. I also think the phenol (clove) notes may great a medicinal taste when mixed with a high hop addition. But do what pleases you. Relax, Don't worry, Have a Homwbrew!

I just used this yeast last weekend in an american wheat beer, using citra and centennial as the hops. It's my understanding that there's not much in the way of banana or clove from this yeast, as those are mostly inappropriate in an american wheat. You should be good, I'd expect it to be more fruity and leave behind a bit more malt character than the typical clean pale ale/ipa yeast.
Can't comment yet on the beer I made, although I'm sure it's done fermenting.. I may keg today or maybe I'll wait until next weekend.

ok, just tasted and took a gravity reading. Basically done at 1.012 but I think I'll leave it and keg either mid week or next weekend. Tasted pretty good, as expected there was no banana or clove - I fermented at 64F. A slight lemon note mid palate was a bit unexpected, but I found some other mentions of that with a google search. Carbed slightly above average I think this will be pretty good. I have 10 gallons, so I'll dry hop half with citra and leave the other half as is.

Interested to hear how the IPA turns out!

Little update, I just bottled the beer. The yeast cake was enormous, way bigger than the regular hefe I brewed 3 weeks ago. It was a bit confusing having that much yeast when you smell the IPA-ish aroma.
It was quite dark, almost double IPA color, but again the smell was fantastic, very Citra. There was some slight competition going on in terms of flavor in the initial tasting. The alcohol dominated a bit, with some hops and yeast as well. But I think aging and maturing will do it very well, so we'll see in 2 weeks time :)

It has been a year since you posted the recipe. I am looking to do a similar brew and was wondering how the WLP320 finished your beer. Did the hops hold up to the fruitiness?

Back