American-grown "European" Hop Varietals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pehlman17

Reaction score
I've heard some suggest that the quality of hops available to homebrewers when it comes to many of the classic European varietals, particularly the Nobles, might be of a slightly lesser quality. And therefore we'd often be better off using their American-grown counterparts. I'm curious as to whether anyone else has found this to be the case. And if so, what are some of your favorite American-grown hops you've found to be good substitutes in classic European beer styles?

I don't think that statement is exactly true. That being said I do enjoy these hops and buy them by the pound.
Sterling ( like it more then sazz,not as spicy)
Mt Hood,has some pithiness I quite like and reminds me of a Sam's Boston Lager
Crystal , Willamette and Liberty, these work in ales or lagers with med to low IBU's where i don't want citrus.

Domestic Goldings aren't bad and a good way to stretch real deal EKG. I do like Mt Hood used in place of Hallertauer.

I tend to use them because they're cheap, and so am I. I've heard that all the hops we get aren't the same quality as the big boys get to pick at hop selection.

I tend to use them because they're cheap, and so am I. I've heard that all the hops we get aren't the same quality as the big boys get to pick at hop selection.
I had a similar thought. I’m sure either domestic or imported we get the leftovers.

Back