American Ale Geography

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspera

Reaction score
I've noticed great differences between the flavors of my favorite right and left coast ales, especially when the Northeast is compared to the Northwest. I love them both and would never want to choose between say a Troegs and a Rogue. Still I many regional similarities and was wondering if these might be defined by water types or common practice. Any thoughts on whether we are talking about ingredient differences, methods, or both?

I can't say but I'm always good for an unschooled opinion. I've tried pale ales from all over the country and as far as I can tell, the differences are more a result of the brewers trying to achieve different things than some regional differences in water or ingredients.

One thing is, I don't buy regional beers outside of their region. Well, actually I do - if I see some great west coast beer around, I can't pass it up - but I don't use how it tastes as a yardstick for that brewer. A lot can happen to an unpasteurized beer in transit across the country. I think that to really get what the brewer is trying to make, you have to drink local.

This could be my new green slogan: Think global, drink local!

Like SteveM says there are probably just as many differences between breweries as there are between regions. At the risk of over-generalizing it has seemed to me that more of the East Coast guys are using European malt compared to North American malt on the West Coast.

Back