Amber Trinity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgb_operative

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP#028
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1.051 SG
Final Gravity
1.013 SG
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
14 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
~2 weeks @ 68F
Additional Fermentation
Condition in bottle
Tasting Notes
Aiming for spicy and malty with some hoppy backgroud
------------------Grain Bill----------------------
5.00 lb American Munich
1.00 lb Crystal 40L
1.00 lb American wheat
1.00 lb Rye malt
1.00 lb Flaked wheat
1.00 lb Flaked rye

----------------Hop Schedule------------------
Kent Golding 1.00 oz, 0 minutes
Perle 0.50 oz, 60 minutes
Perle 1.00 oz, 15 minutes

First Mash 5gal@148F for 60min
Second Mash 3gal@175 for 60min

I just wanted to get some feedback on this recipe that my friend and I thought up to help us use up some of the wheat/rye that we have excess of and figured this my be a good spicy/malty brew with a low ABV (compared to the BIG brews we normally drink).

Have you brewed and drank this? Really should only be posting tried and true recipes in this section.

Maybe try the recipe/ingredients forum for feedback.

Alrighty: got this one brewed, bottled and tasted. Surprisingly close to what I had anticipated it to be: mild bitterness aside very spicy notes, malty backbone and substantial mouth-feel, though head formation and retention leave something to be desired, probably due to issues with the mash equipment (ie, I broke my MLT have-way through the mash). The color is a bit darker than I anticipated, tho still in line with style guide for ambers.

I was a bit disappointed that the wheat got a bit lost in the bigger malt characters of munich and rye, but I really wasn't all that surprised. To that end, I think by dropping 2# of munich, adding 2# each wheat and rye malt, and changing the hop schedule from perle to cluster (2 oz 60~15min) I will lighten the body, bring the adjuncts more to the fore, and better balance the hop characters.

I am curious as to which yeast would best suit this bill, so I think I will split the batch into 1 gal carboys and try WLP001 (cal ale), WLP002 (eng ale), WY1010 (usa wheat), WLP028 (edinbrg ale), and WY3056 (bav wht blend). Other than big banana/clove flavors (which I don't care for, thank you very much :cross:), this should cover the array of flavors that might best suit this beer ('cause I don't think that I have any real style guide that best fits this frankenbier :D)

All-in-all: still a very good beer for a first-time recipe, and have had requests to brew this again--so maybe the experimental brews will only end up in my fridge (oh, shucks.... :mug:)

Back