Amber Ale fermenting temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdog44450

Reaction score
I have had a batch of 5.7% Amber Ale in the fermentor for about a week now and wanted to know your guys' opinions on what temp it should be brewing it at. I have done some research but I have seen such an array of answers from 60 all the way up to 72 degrees Fahrenheit. My house is fairly cold so I have my fermentor on a pet heating pad which keeps it at 70 degrees even. If I put a small fan on it it will go down to 68. 68-70 is what it has been constantly for the week it's been brewing. If I need to I can get it down to 64 Fahrenheit at room temp. I do not have a thermometer inside the fermenter or a stick on on the outside either so I have no clue what the fermenting temp is at inside, I just have my thermometer outside to keep an eye on the temperature with.

It depends on the yeast that you are using. Look up the temperature range for your yeast and try to keep it in the middle of that range.

It is Dry Ale Yeast with a temperature range of 68-76. 76 just sounds ridiculous, may be just me. Would you suggest keeping it on the 68? I have even had the temp of the fermentor get down to 64 and fermentation has not stopped

It is Dry Ale Yeast with a temperature range of 68-76. 76 just sounds ridiculous, may be just me. Would you suggest keeping it on the 68? I have even had the temp of the fermentor get down to 64 and fermentation has not stopped

I would keep it around 70-72... If you keep it at 68 it will prolong the fermentation and take longer for the yeast to clear up the beer.

I would keep it around 70-72... If you keep it at 68 it will prolong the fermentation and take longer for the yeast to clear up the beer.

Will keeping it at this temperature cause a noticeable flavor change from having it at 68? This is my main concern for brewing it at a warm temperature

From what I have read, the off flavors happen when in the high end of the yeast's temperature range and beyond, especially in the first few days.

68F the first few days should be OK as the yeast produces heat. I would get a temperature strip for the bucket so it reads the internal temperature to give you a better idea.

From what I have read, the off flavors happen when in the high end of the yeast's temperature range and beyond, especially in the first few days.

68F the first few days should be OK as the yeast produces heat. I would get a temperature strip for the bucket so it reads the internal temperature to give you a better idea.

Just ordered one, thanks for the help!

We can give better advise if you post the name and number of the yeast, as they are picky as to what they like.

Sounds like you are using a yeast that came with a kit? If so, don't next time. An inexpensive quality dry yeast like Safale (US05 or S04) or Nottingham will give BIG BIG BIG improvements over crappy kit yeasts. US05 will give good results anywhere from the low 60's to 70 (possibly higher), but try to keep the temperature constant. Nottingham is best kept no higher than the low 60's but ferments faster and clears faster than US05. Then there are the multitudes of liquid yeasts......

After you pitch the yeast but before fermentation starts it is ok to keep your wort on the high side or even a few degrees higher than the ideal range for your yeast. This can help increase cell numbers without producing off flavors.
Once fermentation starts you want to be at your target fermentation temperature typically in the middle of the range. This temperature would be for the liquid inside the fermenter and not for the ambient air and should be maintained until the beer has attenuated to 80%. By then the yeast are less likely to impart flavor on your beer and you can let the temperature rise to the high end and then slightly above the ideal range to allow the yeast to finish their work.
Some yeast manufacturer descriptions for particular strains will list a different flavor profile for the high and low end of the ideal range with the middle being more neutral.

I can't fathom you would notice a difference between 68 and 70 degrees given that's right in the temp range for your dry yeast. Glad you got a thermometer for your fermenter - keeping your yeast at their ideal temp is one of the few things all brewers will agree on. Sanitation and ferm temp are the first two things John Palmer discusses out of his five tips for beginning brewers.

Latest posts

Back