Amazon's Packaging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stillraining

Reaction score
I really appreciate the free shipping and cant complain as nothing is damaged ...but talk about inefficiencies and lackadaisical packing.
This shipping box was huge for this 3 item order.. I had to laugh when I picked it up and everything rattled around inside...I was scratching my head trying to remember what I ordered that was so big to warrant this box.

Love the little bit of packing paper tossed in as almost an after thought..lol

Anyway excited to get my Stanly Growler and other do dads today.

Any one have a similar experience with Amazon and a huge almost empty box arriving on your front step?

IMG_1006.jpg

Like a BB in a boxcar.

Never had that happen to me, and I order lots of stuff from Amazon. Maybe it was smoke break time at the fulfillment center when your order was being packed. ;)

Man, that's weak. Agree with others, though. I can't recall ever having anything packed so haphazardly by them, even sturdy items. 80% of it's been packed tightly with air packs.

A couple weeks ago I had a 3L erlenmeyer flask arrive packed in 3 nested boxes, each with their own fill material. Did a good job reassuring me it would be intact.

Funny. About to show this to my buddy who recently quit his job packing for amazon. Maybe you can blame him.

Quality job on that box. I can't say that I have had that experience as of yet.
Funny though, my wife got me that same 'growler'. Haven't used it yet, but it looks to be quality.

Boxes are expensive, and you defiietly get bulk pricing, so it's common to see retailers only carry as many box sizes as they need. Your package there does seem a bit excessive, but maybe it was from a third party that doesnt ship many medium boxes? IDK. Or some tard packaged it in the wrong box at an AMazon warehouse; who knows.

I ordered two Camelback water bottles that had the same packaging you had. One bottle was pretty badly scuffed up. Thankfully it was mine and not the gfs. I mentioned it in my review, that it wasn't a huge issue just may be something they should look into for future shipments. Amazon apologized and gave us a partial refund. We love Amazon and use it for basically everything. This was the first and only issue we had in a little over 2 years.

We had to get some hard drives shipped to us the other day at work. Similar situation where they threw three drives into a huge box and then just threw a few of those air packs on top to make it look like they gave a crap.

Luckily the drives were encased in their own boxes and surrounded by protective foam, but come on...

I order from Amazon and utilize their free two day shipping (not really free) and I've never rec'd a package that was not packed well with either paper or bubble wrap.
I ordered a Miir Growler direct from Miir and when it arrived it was scratched and the lid was dented from the crappy packaging. it was put in a box with a piece of bubble wrap draped over the top. Absolutely no protection. Promptly returned and was refunded.

They obviously must get one h**l of a discount from the shipping company's for volume, as I know I would have had to pay about 40.00+ to ship that box UPS or FedEx anywhere. This seems the oddest part to me.

It makes a difference where your items are coming from. Anything leaving an amazon warehouse is usually really well packed, overkill sometimes. If you order and it comes from a third party that just sells through amazon it can be hit or miss. It's important to remember that amazon acts as a store front for a lot of smaller businesses.

I haven't gotten small items in a big box, but I got a laptop that only had crumpled paper as padding. Noted that it was not as expected in their shipping survey. I said I had expected some bubble wrap. Other than that it was well packed as has been every other package I have received through Amazon.

OP, was the package actually sent by Amazon, or by the seller?

My experience with Amazon shipping is similar to that of the OP, except my stuff was damaged.

I recently ordered 4 dimpled beer mugs from Amazon, along with a bunch of small homebrew items to make the order qualify for free shipping.

The mugs were packaged in their own box, which had been placed inside another, larger box. The other items, packaged in plastic bags, were placed inside the larger box along with the box of beer mugs. No paper, bubble wrap, air bags, shipping peanuts or anything of the like were inside the larger box. In other words, everything was loose inside the larger box and able to bounce around.

The outside, larger box arrived in pristine condition. When I opened that box, the beer mug box was completely undamaged. Not a dent, scratch or ding to be seen.

When I opened the box of mugs, I was shocked at how they were packaged. They had been wrapped in a single roll of thin bubble wrap and each wrapped mug was separated from the others by a single piece of brown paper, similar to construction paper in weight. Three of the four mugs were broken. One shattered; one broken handle; and, one with a crack from top to bottom.

I got an RMA (and refund) and replied to the packaging feedback email I received. The seller followed up with a request that I be more specific about how the items were packaged. I gave him the basic account listed above. He thanked me for my input.

I assume that each seller is responsible for determining how to prepare his merchandise for delivery. It appears that Amazon must simply take items off the shelf and put them into an Amazon box, but one would think they would do more to insure safe delivery of the merchandise.

I haven't gotten small items in a big box, but I got a laptop that only had crumpled paper as padding. Noted that it was not as expected in their shipping survey. I said I had expected some bubble wrap. Other than that it was well packed as has been every other package I have received through Amazon.

OP, was the package actually sent by Amazon, or by the seller?

It was Amazon

Back