Amarillo / Mosaic Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozwald

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed the recipe below using Amarillo and Mosaic for the first time. I was going for a Chocolate Orange flavor without using any orange zest. When I moved the wort into the fermentor I really didn't notice any orange aroma which I thought I'd get from the Amarillo hops so I'm thinking about dry hopping for a week with either Amarillo or Mosaic.

What do you think about a half ounce of Amarillo for 1 week?

Here's the recipe.

5.5 gallon
4.5 gallon boil
S-05 Yeast - No Starter

.5lb - Carapils
7.5lbs - Bries 2 Row Pale Ale Malt
1lb - Fawcett Pale Chocolate Malt
1lb - Corn Sugar
1lb - DME Pilsen Light

.75oz Centennial - 60min
.5oz Amarillo - 30min
.5oz Amarillo - 15min
.5oz Mosaic - 5min

Thanks in advance.

I think you should go with 2 oz or more for dry hopping. I don't think you'd see much with half an ounce.

Next time id try an ounce or two at flameout too

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks Tungstenbeer.
I went a little light on the hops since I hadn't used Amarillo or Mosaic in the past.
The blow off from the airlock smells good but not real fruity so I'll definitely be dry hopping.

I sampled the beer when moving from primary to secondary. I was a bit disappointed, it tasted nutty and not very fruity. I did some research on my grain bill and I think I used too much Pale Chocolate Malt. I probably should have used a Chocolate Wheat instead of the malt.

I'm going to dry hop for 1 week with 1 ounce of Amarillo.

Pale chocolate is more nutty than chocolate for sure. Regular chocolate malt with a little bit of crystal 80 would get you closer to semi-sweet/bitter chocolate flavor. You may also want to consider using something like Citra as a dry hop to kick up the orange/citrusy notes. Or, like was mentioned about, go with more Amarillo at flameout and as a dry hop.

Back