Am I very close to the end of the ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_SA

Reaction score
Hi all

Great to be part of the community, I'm a first time brewer. I've long been wanting to brew my own beer but never got to it. With the current covid-19 lockdown in South Africa we have not been allowed to buy alcohol for almost 2 months now so here I am and can safely say the bug has bitten hard already

Onto the matter at hand. I'm brewing an irish stout. The ferment got off to a good start with plenty bubbling going on with the airlock through days 2 and 3. Now at almost 6 days through the ferment the airlock bubbles at a hugely reduced rate. Maybe once every 10 minutes, maybe even less now. I did a gravity check last night and it was 1.014. Original gravity was 1.046. The sample I took smelled and tasted good.

Some factors to consider:
  • I undershot my target volume of a 15L batch and ended up with 12L of wort after the boil. This was mainly due to a miscalculation with my kettle size not being big enough to allow me to pour all sparge water through my brew bag. School fees paid.
  • I still used 1 sachet of Safale S-04 yeast as indicated for the 15L recipe
  • As mentioned OG was 1.046 before yeast pitching. A test after 5 days of ferment showed 1.014
  • I have been fermenting at 18°C as per recipe. Fermentation vessel is being kept inside a temp controlled chamber. Temps have been steady.
The recipe I'm using says that you must ferment at 18 C for 7-10 days and then raise the temp by 1° till you get to 21°, check for leveling off of gravity and then bottle.

Firstly, has my fermentation gone faster than it should? If so, are there possible issues ahead or adjustments to the procedure I need to make? Could that be due to a higher yeast to wort ratio?

Thanks in advance!

Agreed, this sounds pretty normal. Under optimal conditions it goes pretty well, and S04 is a pretty well known for quickly getting towards terminal gravity. Hope the first batch is tasty enough to keep going!

Firstly, has my fermentation gone faster than it should? If so, are there possible issues ahead or adjustments to the procedure I need to make? Could that be due to a higher yeast to wort ratio?

Your fermentation has gone just as most ales do. No worries on that score. Possible issues? Yes, you are so hooked now that I see a loss of money as you upgrade to a bigger pot, more ingredients, etc. It never quits. Otherwise I don't see any problem. The instructions to warm it by a degree a day are good but.....I never worry about that for an ale. Keep it cool for a week, then just let it rise to room temp on its own. There isn't a lot happening after a week that needs good temperature control.

Back