Am I setting myself up for grenades?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atbrown

Reaction score
So, I have been ridiculously busy with work, school and planning my wedding and haven't had the time to brew in awhile. I opened up the pantry last night and was digging around for something when I discovered roughly 144 ounce of homebrew dry hopping in a bunch of misc individual plastic bottles. They have been sitting there for probably 6-8 weeks. I can't remember exactly. I'm not new to brewing nor dry hopping and would've typically hopped them in my secondary carboy with an airlock, or possibly in one of my kegs. However, this time was different; I was experimenting and didn't have any extra container other than a bunch of plastic bottles.

I just got done cooling some dry malt in boiling water and was about to start bottling the brew in glass bottles. However, the plastic bottles were so pressurized that it was impossible to indent with my fingers. I opened one and I lost a quarter of the brew as it sat there and foamed for several minutes. I'm worried that if I continue with my plan of adding fermentables for carbonating, that I'm only going to end up with a bunch of glass grenades. I quickly bottled and capped the one that I had opened without any additional sugar or dry malt extract and stuck it in the fridge. I guess I'll see what it tastes like and if it holds it's carbonation. Anybody have a similar experience? Any advice?

P.S. These originally sat in the primary for 8 weeks and should not have had any unfermented sugar available. Could the carbonation have came from the added fresh hops and/or the rise in temperature in my pantry of about 10 degrees in the last 8 weeks?

Thanks.

There probably was just for sugar available in the beer that the yeast ate. I transferred from a secondary into a keg to age for a while on my last brew. After about a week i checked the corny keg and there was still a lot of pressure that i released, it actually helped it carb up faster. So yes i think they could just be carbed and you can skip priming.

Oh I know. I typically like about 7-10 days with a fair amount of fresh hops. I just forgot and *&%^ up on this one.

Thanks for the response. I'll check it out here soon and see how it tastes.

Back