Am I screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkench

Reaction score
First time panty hose user here!
Went to keg hop but had no hop socks so took a new pair of the ladies panty hose. Threw the 2 pack into my Starsan bucket and used one in the keg which has currently been there for 4 days.
Just happen to look at the Starsan bucket that's been standing there for the same amount of tine and guess what the water's gone pink.
Not looked at or tried the beer yet but have I messed it up?
I don't think I'll see the colour too much in the beer but my main worry is that the dye can be poisonous and have a flavour effect. I don't want to be offering people cancerous beer. What an idiot!

IMG_2712.jpeg

I am in no way an expert, but..... my immediate thought was star san is an acid. That's how it works by my understanding.... so maybe the acid is what it "eating" the hose. I have used P-hose before and never had an issue, but never soaked it in star san. Dunked yes but soak for 5 days no.
I have heard Starsan will eat thru certain types of plastic if let long enough.

And yes, as pointed out below, I am aware they sell it in plastic.

I'm not so sure I would be drinking it. From what I've read, cloth dyes are not poisonous, but in large amounts can become so. So I suppose having one glass will not do any harm, but 3 or 4 in a night, repeated on consecutive evenings, could potentially be dangerous.

I think you might be okay. Would a toxic material be allowed in a product that would be in long term contact with the skin. I don't think it would be allowed, but then there is still lead in the paint on some children's toys. Would be worth investigating before dumping the beer. The stockings may be as color safe in your beer as they would be in the wash.

Pull the sock to check the color.

If beer has the same effect as StarSan on what it comes into contact with, then we probably shouldn't be drinking it [beer]. Which is to say, I seriously doubt you are going to "poison" anyone by drinking the beer from the keg. Just to be safe, you can ship it to me for further study.

Screwed is not noticing the airlock fell out of the bunghole of your carboy for 24 hours, letting in air and god knows what else.

This...I think you'll be ok. Even if the dye is not good for your health I don't think there's enough of it in the beer to damage you in any way.

Phosphoric acid ( star San) can react with certain types of nylon (hose). Beer is acidic but is not phosphoric acid. If the beer is pale and not red I think you a probably safe

You've got a truly "Hosed IPA" now!

It's a bit of the dyes leeching out, nothing to worry about, just don't make a habit of it.

I use very thin white muslin for keg hopping. That way I don't get ANY hop dust in my pours. Sew some bags from that, easy peasy.

Phosphoric acid ( star San) can react with certain types of nylon (hose). Beer is acidic but is not phosphoric acid. If the beer is pale and not red I think you a probably safe

As Queequeg said, you're beer is most likely fine. Phosphoric acid is a solvent for Nylon. In the dilute concentration used in Star-San, it didn't completely dissolve the hose, but definitely reacted with it over time. The hosiery that went into your beer was most likely unaffected because the beer would have diluted the residual Star-San to nil upon immersion.

Back